Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Does anyone actually ever....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  06:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
To add another complicating factor-- sometimes for socks and bags (things you don't want little holes in), the pattern suggests smaller needles and a tighter gauge than the band.

I always have to go down a size or so in needles, too, FWIW.
Christina P.
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  08:38:55 AM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I'm one of those mutants who can usually use the suggested needle size. (I know I'm a mutant because I can also buy pants off the rack and wear them without hemming them either )

Of course it may be because I have no fashion sense and wear my sweaters oversized. I saw an episode of "What Not To Wear" on the Discovery Channel last night about a guy who wore all his clothes baggy, and I didn't think there was anything wrong with the way he looked

Meg
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  10:24:39 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I used to be a really tight knitter. I had to go up 2 needle sizes to get the gauge correct. Since practicing to relax and knit a bit looser...or maybe it's just experience and relaxing while I knit I am now sometimes right on gauge w/ the needle advised but usually still go up one. I actually don't care what needle size I use...just want to make sure I am on gauge.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  10:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
I knit to ball-band gauge pretty much always. If I have to change, it's usually just a size up or down, depending on the yarn.

S. Eliz.

Keep on knitting on!
http://knitonespintoo.blog-city.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/folkvestknitting/
Go to Top of Page

addicted2yarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  12:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit addicted2yarn's Homepage Send addicted2yarn a Private Message
I ALWAYS need to use at least two needles sizes smaller than whatever is called for. I guess I am a very loose knitter...

-Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  7:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I am one of those rare people who always gets the tension/gauge with the needles recommended. This does not make me any better or worse than people who need to go up or down a size. It's the end product that is important not the size needles required to make it!

Sometimes the recommended tension is not what you want anyway, make it the way you want.

Wen
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  7:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Hmmm...I tend to get the right gauge if I use both the suggested needles and the required yarn. Of course, I am generally converting from US patterns to metric or CAD/UK needles, and I don't know how much conversion affects the process...

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  10:15:11 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
well, my pattern calls for 28 sts x 48 rows and I did a swatch that got 25 x 39...I suck at math..is this vest going to turn into a dress???

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  12:33:34 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Most patterns give you the length in inches or centimeters rather than in number of rows, so you can stop when you get to the length you want. You may have to adjust shaping however, depending on how much shaping there is in the project. You might try a size smaller needles. I find that with a particular yarn, I reach a point where my stitches per inch do not change when I go up a size in needles but my rows per inch keep decreasing. The stitches just look more elongated but not wider. You may have reached that point with this gauge.

fran

fran
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  2:48:15 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
I will go back and double check my pattern for inch/row instructions. And there is minimal shaping so I think I will be OK.

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
I used to be a mutant who knitted EXACTLY to gauge...no matter what!!! But in the last 9 months I actually become a tighter knitter and now I have to go up every time...usually only 1 needle size or 0.5mm in the metric language (which is what I use!).

I have a tricky question regarding gauge. I am planning on making the big striped floor pillow in Erika Knights "Simple Knits for Easy Living" book (I think this book has a slightly different title in the US). And knowing I have become slightly tighter in my knitting I thought I would probably have to go up 0.5mm in needle size....but guess what....the pattern does not include a gauge square!!!!!!!!

Well the pillow is made in 4 sections using different combinations of two yarns at every time. The back is done all at once and you knit until you get to 75cm (That's easy enough) but the front is done in 3 seperate sections and is knitted to a row by row pattern. If I go up a needle size and my guage is off the dimensions of my pillow may alter dramatically and the back and front may not match up in size.

I'm not sure if I've accurately described my problem but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jacqueline

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  5:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Jacqueline, Why not make the front first? It will be easy to knit the one piece back to the same dimensions as the front after you know the finished dimensions of the front.
Go to Top of Page

argus
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  5:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit argus's Homepage Send argus a Private Message
Speaking of gauge, I just finished reading "The Principles of Knitting", and the author recommends washing and steaming (she calls it "dressing") the sample before measuring it. Do you all follow this advise?

Argus

Carpe diem.
Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  7:03:02 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
quote:

Jacqueline, Why not make the front first? It will be easy to knit the one piece back to the same dimensions as the front after you know the finished dimensions of the front.

That is a brilliant idea and I have no idea why I didn't think of that myself!!! DOH!

Only one small issue which may throw a spanner in the works is - The insert for the pillow (which I have already purchased) is exactly the correct size as per the pattern...but maybe that won't matter you can always stuff a pillow a bit tighter or flatten it out slightly I guess.

Jacqueline

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by