Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Needle Felting
 Needle Felting Class or 2 color??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  3:11:24 PM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
I just received my quarterly newsletter from LYS. I decided it was time to take a class; up to this point I have taught myself.
So, I am looking at Needle Felting or a Fair Isle cap class where they teach you to knit with two colors in one hand. I can knit with colors and bobbins for color change. Would I be learning something new in this class? And could I teach myself to needle felt?
Gonna treat myself to one of them and just wanted some of your input.

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  3:38:36 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Well, Laura, you KNOW what I'm voting for, the needle felting class! I want you to take it and tell me about it, I'm interested in it, too. Let me know what you decide.

M L
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  5:25:59 PM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
That is the way I was leaning but I have to take a finished felted project with me and I just gave all mine away for Christmas. I do have some time since the class is Feb. 7th...was thinking of doing a bowl...was it you ML, who turned a mistaken hat into a bowl, or someone else on the forum?

Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  6:32:59 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
Needle Felting definitely!!! I think that has got to be a really neat thing to learn how to do... since I don't really have a LYS I won't get to take a class... but Halcyon sells a beginners kit that I am going to buy so I can learn this year.

Definitely tell us how it goes whichever one you take!

BTW... I am one of the ones who ended up with a felted bowl... I could email you the link to the beret pattern I started with that ended up as a bowl....

karen
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  6:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
It's no surprise that I would cast a vote for the needle felting! Enjoy! I wish I could be there with you.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  8:08:58 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Needle felting!!! You'll love it.I learnt it last year and then taught it to children in the after care programme where I work.I had to make an age limit though for just the older children as the needle is very sharp but everyone got absolutly hooked.It is very easy to pick up but I did find that I learnt this skill better through someone teaching me rather than a book even if it is just to show you the correct way to hold the wool so that your fingers don't become a pin cushion.You are only limited by your imagination with it and it is a great way to get rid of your frustrations as well
Marjorie
Go to Top of Page

Crfkt
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  06:52:37 AM  Show Profile Send Crfkt a Private Message
What is needle felting?

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

CATE
Gabber Extraordinaire

416 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  3:54:07 PM  Show Profile Send CATE a Private Message
What is needle felting and how does it differ from felting in the washing machine?

Thanks,
CATE

Tangled Up
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  6:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Needle felting is a "dry" process where you stab at the unspun fiber repeatedly with very long, sharp needles on top of a thick foam base (which protects work surface). You can make freeform sculptures, hats, add details to knitted items etc. The list is long as it has lots of applications. If you check out the Felted Knits book you'l see a section in the back explaining the process. Ebay usually has needle felting kits available as well.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Da Stitcher
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  05:27:57 AM  Show Profile Send Da Stitcher a Private Message
Here's a good tutorial on needlefeltiing. It's not hard to learn and once you know how, your imagination is the only other tool you'll need.
http://gfwsheep.com/needlefelting/needlefelt1.html

Becky
da_stitcher@yahoo.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tucson_socknitters
Go to Top of Page

LinKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  10:50:41 AM  Show Profile Send LinKnit a Private Message
Check out this very coooool site for felting over a bar of soap!! They also show some needle felting!!!http://www.mielkesfarm.com/felt_soap.htm

LindaM
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  4:26:58 PM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
My class is Saturday and I am armed with lots of choices. The Tiny purse from the felt-along, clogs, and a summer bag.........hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Maybe silly but I am getting excited; never took a class at my LYS before!

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  08:43:24 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
How did it all work out, that class? Or did I pull another lella and miss a page?

Thanks to all for the links. They are great links!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe