Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 TKGA certification course diary-long post
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Orpha
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  9:11:05 PM  Show Profile Send Orpha a Private Message
Could someone please tell me where or how to locate info about TKGA?
I would like to find out what a person has to do to become a member and
to pass their tests. Thank you very much!
Knight

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  9:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
tgka.com

Go to Top of Page

cjreber
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  9:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjreber's Homepage Send cjreber a Private Message
Hi Bess,
I just received my Masters Knitting "kit" from TKGA........WHAT 2 courses that preceded it??!!??!! Agh! I feel just like you did starting out - what possessed an educated and moderately sane woman to do this? ....Oh yeah, I want to learn and improve....I need some c-c-courage - I may just have to visit the Emerald City before starting this.... Well, Good luck with the venture! Thanks for letting us read your "thoughts"!
Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

kavt507
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  04:30:39 AM  Show Profile Send kavt507 a Private Message
The Knitter's course you are doing sounds very interesting. I would love to know more about it. Can you send me some information? Thank you! I have really enjoyed reading about your experiences. Isn't funny that we grew up knowing how to do this, but now feel like we know so little?!

Go to Top of Page

cec
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  05:50:21 AM  Show Profile Send cec a Private Message
Bess,
Thanks soooo much for the journal. I have often thought about doing the TKGA course and you have nudged me over the edge. I had some Newport cotton set aside for knitting the swatches (some skeins faded when the sweater was half done!) but reading your experiences makes me think I'd better use wool!

Go to Top of Page

Nan-a
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  07:24:40 AM  Show Profile Send Nan-a a Private Message
Well, I had to jump in here. I have really enjoyed reading your posts on the Master's program! I completed the Level 1 last summer and just received my returned submission for Level 2 this week! I'm not here to brag! Just to say you can do it! Yes, I have learned a lot and with this submission, as well as Level 1, the committee has asked that I re-submit a couple of the swatches. It's all about learning, so I will redo the parts that did not meet the expectations and re-submit. It is a lot of work, but a great program. I am so proud when people ask what interests I have outside of work and I can answer with "I am a Master Knitter" (which I do since I passed Level 1.) It always get some an interesting conversation going. Am thinking about using initials M.K. after my name on a business card just as a joke! :))) A word about yarn used! I didn't use any of my "I'm-going-to-make-something-out-of-this" yarn for the swatches, instead, went to the local hobby store and bought some Red Heart worsted weight acrylic in the one pound skein. This was enough to do all the swatches and with plenty left over for those that I will have to re-knit to get accepted. I've learned a lot, my knitting has improved (I thnink), I feel a sense of accomplishment (which isn't easy at age 57) and since all my family and friends are "sweatered out" at the moment, it has given me a reason to pick up the needles every night. To me, a day just isn't a day if I have not had time to knit. Keep up the good work and writting about it in the forum. It will help us all if we share the journey. KOK (Keep On Knitting!)

Go to Top of Page

MarionB
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  08:52:18 AM  Show Profile Send MarionB a Private Message
How timely this topic is for me. Thanks, Bess! Part of our guild program this week was a panel of four of our members who have just finished the beginning master's course. Their collective views and their notebooks with samples were very illuminating. At my age I don't want to take the time to knit swatches; but now I may knit my own samples as a guide for when I can't decide which increase or decrease I want to use. Like you, they each trembled with every entry of swatches. These four worked together through a 'class' at their local yarn shop. One said she would never have done it on her own. They also mentioned that the judges were very kind. They all are signed up for the Intermediate work. Isn't that encouraging?

Go to Top of Page

Rose
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  08:54:45 AM  Show Profile Send Rose a Private Message
Hi Bess.
Thank you for sharing your TKGA certification diary. Last year I started knitting again. I'm learning from you as I'm reading your diary and cheering for you as you complete each swatch.
Rosie1014
Go to Top of Page

momof5
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  11:18:09 AM  Show Profile Send momof5 a Private Message
quote:

tgka.com

LOL!! Please don't go here unless you want tina's web cam!! not a pretty sight. I think it is supposed to be tkga.com

Lisa

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
April 12 Finished up the choose-your-own cable pattern. Cables are so fun. This is a bit of a tight cable, and holding on to such a small swatch tensed up my hand sufficiently that there are no gaps in the purl rows. pretty good swatch. did the two color swatch in dark green and white patons classic merino - then remembered they said to use only light colored wool. well, this was a swift swatch and i can do another one using something lighter. now to weaving in all those loose ends. This is the part I enjoy doing, but i've never read any instructions on how to do it. just did what seemed logical. what if there are "right" ways of doing things. hmmm. better read up on that.

Well darn. looking that up in different books i find some call it weaving in, some call it darning in, some call it finishing. and here i am all nervous again about "am i doing it right?" how silly. and yet - the discipline of having to check is doing me a lot of good. Here Principles of Knitting is too wordy and the pictures are confusing. I guess I'm just not in the mood. Knitting in Plain English is much clearer. Didn't like the pictures in Big Book of Knitting much either. Knitters Handbook, the readers digest one, is also better at explaining the different techniques. A real advantage to look at more than one source.

Couldn't resist and blocked all the YO swatches and the cable swatch. oh they are pretty. yes yes. still have some uneveness in the purl rows but altogether they are lovely to look at and lovely to touch. best of all - if someone asked, I could really explain in words what I have done. knowing the correct names for techniques I just sort of did by feel. lawsee - this structured setting is the next best thing to a class.

so - now down to last swatch and a half and here I go daydreaming of other things I would like to be knitting - how about another felted hat? oh oh I forgot how much I love this patons forest green merino and wouldn't DS look so wonderful in a sweater out of this and maybe i can set these swatches aside and start that sweater oh there is the regia sock yarn for DH and the Fiesta mohair/rayon for me ....

this is my bete noir and it's why I'm so grateful to all of you readers who are sharing my experience. Since I had the boldness to start putting this stuff out I feel duty bound to finish this project in a timely manner. Thank you all!

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  1:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I like the idea of using the cheap Red Heart stuff - I'm planning on sending away for the Level 1 info next week (payday) - but have all these lovely daydreams about everything in my stash! I was going to head up to Michaels next weekend to get some Sugar'n'Cream cotton and glycerine soap (for a soap and washcloth set as a house-re-warming gift for my parents who are demolishing my childhood bedroom - I'm recovering from the news nicely, thank you ) and I think I'll pick up a pounder of yarn while I'm there....

I'm sure you're doing fantastically, Bess - keep up the great work, and thank you for sharing!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  1:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I think you should not buy cheap yarn for this course. at least, I'm mighty glad I'm using good quality stuff, even high end on a few pieces. Use the yarn you knit the best with. I used what was in my stash because I had a lot of patons and brown sheep for using in the beginners knitting classes I teach. (think 20 skeins of asorted colors)

You are going to be eyeing your work with the most critical viewpoint you have ever had before. Use the yarn that you feel always looks best when you knit with it. Read Heart always looks iffy to me and I don't enjoy the feel of it. that is strictly personal, and if you do enjoy the feel of it, if it brings you pleasure to knit with it, then it is a good choice. You will use about 200 yards of yarn in the whole project so even a high end investment would be only $15. But I also know that there are times when $15 means the grocery bill or the light bill doesn't get paid. So I'm not advocating expensive yarn, but i am advising using yarn you reeeeeeealy like to knit with and that reeeeeeeeealy looks good when you knit with it.

Go to Top of Page

sisterknits
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  1:54:41 PM  Show Profile Send sisterknits a Private Message
Bess,
I too am absolutely loving your journal. I have been thinking about the TKGA courses but the long list of projects (both on the needles and in my mind) always makes me re-consider actually taking the time to take the course. It sounds, to me, that you are really happy to be perfecting your skills. So maybe I'll reconsider.
Thank you for sharing this -- it is very interesting and inspiring.

Julia

P.S. I noticed that you taught yourself continential knitting . . . . was it easy? are you happy that you did it? Can you knit faster?

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  2:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Bess, wonderful journal posts . Thank you for the time you took to share your fabulous progress w/us. Your inspiration is felt by folks all over the planet - way to go, girlfriend!!

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  2:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
sisterknits - it was hard but not horribly hard, and I am very very glad I did learn continental stitching and i knit much faster and much more evenly. That's why my tension troubles with purling back is so distressing to me. I wondered if i had just imagined that my knitting looked better so last night i turned a sweater I'm nearly done with inside out and yep, hardly a single gap in the purl rows. I am really better.

I decided to learn continental style knitting after watching elizabeth zimmermann/meg swansen videos. Interestingly, it was meg's beautiful hands that tempted me, but I actually hold my yarn much more like EZ. close, low fingers, a sort of scooping the yarn off my left index finger using the right needle tip. Speed was so improved that I'm no longer daunted by the thought of a fair isle sweater. The purl stitching was hardest to learn and it still involves a lot of wrist movement. And i'm glad i have both techniques, English and continental. If I have a really tight or tricky stitch the right hand automatically picks up the yarn and a stitch or two later plop it goes back over the left index finger.

a bit of advice - do not use alpaca yarn to teach yourself continental. it's too slippery and shows the roughness. I'd suggest a tweedy springy yarn with lots of bounce to it. If what you are doing looks bad you will be discouraged by it and if it looks good you will be encouraged - so hey, it's a no brainer.

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  2:35:22 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Hey, Rose...be grateful your parents didn't do what I did. The kids moved out and, instead of converting/demolishing their childhood bedrooms, I sold the house! Moved to Arizona! Left them in North Carolina! (The found us, though, and one has moved back in. The other moved in for about 6 months then got his own place.)

So, Bess. Is the Masters Program you're doing the Level I that Nan-a (love that name!!) is talking about? And you gots to pay for it?? Huh. Cables, huh? I need to practice some more. Maybe I'll try that cable dishcloth...that should give me a run!

chris (still trying to figure out if I joined TKGA or not....coulda sworn I did...)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

MaryDecker
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  4:24:45 PM  Show Profile Send MaryDecker a Private Message
Hi Bess,

I'm enjoying your post. Years ago I wanted to enter the program but as I recall, it was quite a sum of money that I couldn't afford at the time. I've been knitting since age 12 (taught myself watching EZ's Busy Knitter show on PBS and have never stopped since. I'm amazed at how much I still have to learn after 38 years (I'm 50 also.)

Anyhow, I did want to share something that I just discovered. I've always knit continental and can speed through stitches quickly. My purl side of stockinette always "welted" with spacing between every two rows. Most of the time I masqueraded it by knitting cables or multi-colors or some other pattern. Recently I finished an Aran cable for my mother-in-law and the center of the back was all stockinette. I had the back completed and was disgusted with the purl welting on the inside and obvious uneveness of the knit rows on the right side. So...rip out and start over...which I never mind, but my husband thinks I'm crazy. It's the process of knitting that I love, not necessarily the product. Anyhow, I was determined to get my rows more even. I tried knitting backwards, purling with a smaller needle, knitting English style on the purl rows, etc. These were all too inconvenient. I tried simply pulling tighter after moving the old stitch off as I purled. It looks much better and I feel I am a more even knitter than before. I am very conscious now of tightening up on purl, but hopefully this will become a habit that I don't have to concentrate on. All of this was a long-winded attempt to possibly help you. I can't work on master's program now because I just started a Master's Degree program in Educational Technology. Maybe my next master's will be in knitting, my #1 passion (after chocolate, of course.)

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  4:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
the courses aren't all that expensive (says the person who has to decide between a movie this weekend and having her rent check NOT bounce) - level 1 is I think $30.

Go to www.tkga.com and ask them for info (their website isn't particularly helpful, but if you e-mail them and say you're interested, they'll send you snail mail info fairly quickly)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

lana
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  5:44:42 PM  Show Profile Send lana a Private Message
HI.......I READ AND WAS DELIGHTED WITH BESSH JOURNAL.....IF SOMEONE CAN TELL ME WAHT KNITTING SWATCHES IS ALL ABOUT.......LANA

rita l hass
Go to Top of Page

lana
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  5:45:08 PM  Show Profile Send lana a Private Message
HI.......I READ AND WAS DELIGHTED WITH BESSH JOURNAL.....IF SOMEONE CAN TELL ME WAHT KNITTING SWATCHES IS ALL ABOUT.......LANA

rita l hass
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.