Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 Exercise, Anyone?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  5:36:50 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how many of us do any exercising? Since we all have many and varied interests, I would love to know who exercises religiously and what types of exercising you do?

I may have a slight ulterior motive here: to be MOTIVATED to stick with what I just started back to....walking. I started today with 20 minutes on my treadmill, but I like to walk outside as well, weather allowing. Problem is, I don't jump for joy at the prospect of walking at least 20 to 30 minutes everyday and yet I know I have to for health reasons alone.

Please share with me what the rest of you do, and how you stay motivated.....that would be so helpful and keep me on target.

Regards, Patience

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  7:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Patience, would you please come over and walk with me? My only exercise is lifting the fork to my face (and knitting, of course...). Won't lose these awful 30 pounds that way....

Go to Top of Page

ginny
Chatty Knitter

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  8:11:55 PM  Show Profile Send ginny a Private Message

Hi Patience,

I'm glad that you mentioned the topic of exercise because I was thinking of bringing it up also.

I live in the Midwest which is known for its high calorie farm meals. My dad died of a sudden heart attack brought on by being overweight and diabetic.

My favorite exercise is playing tennis. In the winter, I play doubles at least once a week unless someone asks me to sub for them, which usually makes it at least twice per week. Doubles doesn't burn as many calories as singles, however.

I also try to do walking, outside if it is nice. If I work out indoors, I walk a couple of miles on the treadmill(I can read a magazine while I do this.), do a mile on the Schwinn air-dyne, and then I do some upper body strength exercises on the other machines. I'm doing the strength exercises to build up muscle which is being replaced in my body with FAT. I also do some isometric sit-ups, leg stretches, and use the thigh ball for leg exercises. I don't do these exercises every day but kind of work it around my tennis. If my body feels too sore or fatigued, I lay off for a day.

I just read in our Sunday newspaper that 7 in 10 adults don't exercise regularly according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

With this in mind, I would like to challenge, encourage, and be supportive of all of you here at Knitter's Review in out quest toward better health and exercise.

Happy Knitting and Exercising!

ginny

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  04:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
a few years ago a gym opened in our county (rural, virgina, southern) I work for local govt. and they offered to pay half my membership to the gym as long as I went 2 times a week or 8 times a month. Now, when I am in a good stretch I get there 5 times a week but when I am overwhelmed or bad I still find a way to get there 8 times each month because if I don't, I have to pay the full month's membership fee. The fee is taken out of our paychecks so it shows up on payday. And though it's only $24 or so, somehow that particular $24 is ever so irritating. There have been a few months that I've had to pony up but mostly i do get in those 8 visits.

Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  07:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I generally do not get a whole lot of exercise these days. I keep telling myself that because I walk to and from work everyday (about a mile each way) that I am getting exercise. Also, on the weekends, I get together with a couple of my girlfriends and walk the entire 6.1 mile loop in Central Park (anyone in the NYC area that would like to join in, send me an e-mail and I'll give you details). I have also had intentions of doing yoga. To be honest, I have been really lax in that venture.

Knitting is good exercise, right?!?!

Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  07:46:46 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
I exercised a lot before I found knitting...

Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  09:34:01 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
I love yoga although I haven't been making the time to do it regularly. I actually joined a health club but if I go during lunch time, I have to take a 2 hour lunch by the time I take a 90 minute yoga class. Given my work load right now (and the fact that the weather is horrible so I don't really relish the thought of walking there and back) I haven't been able to go. I could go after work but . . . I have kids to take care of. It's not that DH can't feed them dinner and all but I just hate getting home right before the baby goes to bed. I miss my little darlings during the day!

So - there are my lame excuses. I do have a yoga mat at home and every once in awhile I take time to do it but with yoga, you really need to do it regularly to have any effect. Being a Flybaby has helped me with reducing the clutter in my house, now I just need to add regular yoga time to my routines - maybe that will help!

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  12:29:07 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Exercise? What's that? If it makes you sweat, I don't do it. However, I do walk a greyhound (almost) every day. Does that count?

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  12:49:38 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Dear Patience,

I excercise for over 2 hours a day--3 45 minute sessions. I do it to prevent muscle wasting, to try to keep my range of motion, and because I keep hoping that I will be able to walk again...and I will...at least until another lupus flare flattens me again and I have to start over. I am pretty good at it. This will be the fifth time I have had to relearn how to walk. I am able to stand up now and walk for approximately 25 feet before being forced to rest. Progress is made in tiny steps.

Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  2:02:22 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Fran - as always, you put all of our minor complaints in perspective. Whenever I start taking my good health for granted, and whining about all the work I have to do, I'll remember what you said about wishing you could still wash a dinner dish . . . bless you for staying so positive! You are an inspiration.

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  2:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Now, see, Bess, I think if I had to pay for NOT going to the gym, I could stay committed!!

I would love to take a yoga class or something - I did a lot of dance growing up - 11 classes a week at my peak - and would enjoy aerobics or some other similar class, but once again my work schedule is a problem here, since most are scheduled in the evenings when the average person is free. I did just hear about a book called "The Pilates Body" and I'd love to do Pilates (think aerobic yoga) so I may look into that.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  9:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I am still walking with MacDoughal (my jack russell who is more than slightly pudgy) 4 or more times a week. I noticed that I was getting bored after a month of following the same routine of 15 minutes around the block. The solution? We are walking a different route. This one takes 20 minutes and Doogie is flat worn out when we get home but it is much more quiet, fewer dogs to threaten my chicken on 4 legs and almost no cars! We are having a lovely time, meeting new folks that I have NEVER seen (after living here for 11 years!) and Doogie is leaving new messages for a new set of friends.

My DH bought me a pedometer for my Visor. I clip it onto my waistband and wear it all day! It is amazing how far I walk in one day. Here I thought I wasn't moving much at all, plus now I have proof that I have cranked it up a notch.

Lissa, I waited for years for someone to exercise with, I would still be waiting but I have found that it is too much work to try and match schedules with someone else. Sometimes my husband or son joins me but usually it is Doog and I. I treasure the quiet time and have found myself rushing home from work to get my walk in before I have to pick up the kids.

Just do it!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  10:56:51 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
About five yearsago I was struggling to run out to the letter box and back as I am an asthmatic and my Dh encouraged me to start walking around the block with him each night after work.It worked and I can now walk at a fast pace for an hour two to three times a week.I've got a wonderful friend who is walking with me now and the time goes so quick as we talk non stop.We're both craft mad so guess what we mainly talk about.I do find it a bit boring by myself though and have been known to pike out if my friend or husband aren't available.What I love about having a walk is that I can then eat my favourite food (chocolate)and not feel guilty.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2002 :  08:44:14 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Alissa,

Years ago my doctor told me that he wanted to equip me with a pedometer, because if I increased my walking by 2 miles a day, it would solve my weight problem. He set up the pedometer and gave it to me to wear with the instructions to turn it on in the morning and off when I went to bed the next day (It was some fancy digital thing) I did it and then took it back into his office. He asked me what I thought and I said that it wasn't really a true test because the day I used it I had a very quiet day at work and didn't do too much all day. He told me the average was around 2 to 3 miles a day and if I increased it to 5 miles a day he would be happy. Well---on my "slow" day I had walked 7 miles.....LOL And that was the end of that.

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2002 :  6:37:28 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Dear Fran,

I'm walking about 1-1/4 miles a day at this point and it takes me around 25 minutes, so I guess I'm not going like lightning, am I? I know women who walk 5 miles every day and I wonder just where they get the time? I guess it boils down to making the time to put yourself and your health first.

When it comes to weight loss, I think I would need to walk at LEAST 5 miles a day to see any drop on the scale. I asked my oldest son for some inspiration to keep this up and he said, "it's strictly for your heart, lungs, and energy level, Mom, and anything else is a bonus".

Fran, if I ever walk 7 miles, I won't call it a slow day, believe me.

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2002 :  7:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Well, I am trying to build back up to walking several times a week. I did walk 5 miles to raise money for breast cancer on Sunday. And, I could still walk that afternoon and the next day!! I think we do need to be creative and make ourselves get some exercise, besides in our shoulders and hands! My parents both died fairly young from heart problems, at 59 and 62, and my cholesterol gets high, and so I have to eat lots of veggies, etc. and exercise frequently or my doctor has a stroke!! Maybe SHE should exercise more??? Anyway, I try to keep it up, since I want to see the rest of my kids grown up and having kids, etc. Let's all get together and walk! Barb

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2002 :  8:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I did it, I piked today. I spent two hours in the car and got a cramp in my foot. Instead I spent the evening playing with the kids and eating chocolate. I shall pay tomorrow. Fran, I walked 2 miles at work today. Not too bad for a person who sits at a table and teaches all day.

Tomorrow is another day.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  08:14:07 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I may be way off here, but I think I remember that the average was 20 minutes to walk a mile.

I used to average 14 to 15 miles during a 24 hour call period at the hospital. Of course my legs felt like stumps when that was finished and I headed straight for the shower and a bed.

It was my habit of regular exercise that gave me my first indication that something was wrong with me. I used to swim for 45 minutes each morning before going to work and as I swam laps, I gradually improved and increased the number I could swim, then one day the number started to decrease until I could no longer make it across the pool. Now I can get exhausted just by sitting up....LOL

Fran

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  2:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Fran's idea of getting a pedometer is a good one - I keep meaning to do so myself, just can't find one around here. I read somewhere that the key is to keep track of how much you're walking on an average day (and even walking to the fridge is walking!) and then UP that amount -
I'm going to try to walk to my pathetic library tomorrow - that way, I'll have a goal, and I can't quit early! It's just over a mile one way...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  7:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
RosebyAny, Now you got me feeling guilty. I was going to drive to my library to get that book! What time are you going to walk, I'll join you as I walk to my Library! I have to be back before 1:00 p.m. Mountain time, though. Gotta work at the computer then, so probably could use a good walk first! Barb

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  11:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Oh. Oops. It rained hard here until about 2 - which is when I need to start getting ready to go into work. Tomorrow I'm going no matter what, cuz I'll have plenty of time to come home and take a hot bath if it's yucky... I was thinking of going around noon (EST) ... shall we walk together?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?