Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Knitted South American Ruana (scrap yarn fest!)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  8:47:25 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
I need another WIP like a hole in the head (I currently have a hand towel, facecloths, finger puppets, and two sweaters in progress) BUT I found this pattern in Folk Shawls, and so many KR-ians have sent us scrap yarn for our charity knitting that this project was just begging to be born!

Some of the yarn sent to our Charty Knitting activity are lone skeins and partial skeins--and this amazing shawl-like/serape-like garment looks woven because it incorporates all kinds of colors, fibers, weights, etc. Perfect for a varety of yarns!

The Folk Shawls pattern is garter stitch with long fringes, sort of like this Frugal Haus pattern, but more shapely (it has a shaped neck and is more poncho/cape-like than the Frugal Haus version): http://frugalknit12330.goeserv.com/homepage/ruana.htm

I am having the best time with this: I took the scrap/partial skeins and divided them into five different color "families" and then put each family into a plastic shopping bag. I have arrranged the shopping bags into a spectrum that I like and will repeat this color arrangement throughout the ruana. At the end of each row, I cut the yarn and reach into the next shopping bag and do a row in whatever surprise I first touch. (This is different from the Frugal Haus pattern, in that they knit two rows with the same yarn so that they get a defined stripe, while I am changing yarns every row so that the garter stitich bump is a combo of two yarns/textures/colors--more of a blending than a striping.)

It is really keeping my interest, and the developing fabric is really pleasing!

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  10:20:04 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Wow! You are generous - ruana for charity! I can't afford to buy it right now.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  08:12:01 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Confession: It's isn't generosity.

I am a process knitter more than a product kntter--and I can't stop knitting (addicted!) and thus have knit far too many things to keep them all. And all the yarn I am knitting with has been donated by KR folks (that's the generosity part!), so it is free fun for me!
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  09:28:26 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Elizabeth, I have Folk Shawls and have my eye on the ruana. I think I'll wait until I have a fair accumulation of leftover yarns so I can have lots of variety in texture and color just as you're doing.

I hope you post a picture of the ruana when it's finished - I bet it will be smashing.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  09:40:44 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Cheryl -

Isn't the picture in the book gorgeous? I must confess that for this first one, I am playing around with color and pattern and I am learning a lot--but I am not going to rip ou tthe bits that I dislike. I know I should have swatched lots before delving in, but I was just too excited to give it a go--and I would really like to make something warm out of these donated yarns.

I started by really varying color and texture each time, but now I think it is more beautiful to make much more subtle shifts. Unfortunately I do not have enough of one color to make the entire ruana all one hue, but I think I can achieve some subtle, blended striping. The only problem is that it looks like one half of the ruana will be my experientaiton while the other half will be what I actually want! Hmmm...
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  10:36:44 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
JUST FINISHED!

I am wearing it and, weirdly, feel more like luxurious Chinese Emperor than colorful South American. The drape is amazing! It is almost floor length--but I am short. Really warm--just in time for, uh, spring. LOL.

Now, I just have to figure out what to do with it...I knit it for charity with yarn donated by many of you. If I can find the right venue, it might bring in some money at a silent auction. I need to hunt around. It is a bit outlandish--more like "wearable art" than something someone might really wear--though I can imagine wearing it to the Santa Fe Opera (which is outdoors and really chilly, even in mid-summer). I hope to post pictures tomorrow.

Good night!
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  11:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Call it wearable art and donate it to a charity auction. It'll pull in more than you thought possible. Can't wait for the picture.

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  12:07:54 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Ditto what she said (I'm clever this morning! LOL)... can't wait to see the pictures, but it sounds rather stunning :)

m
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  12:45:31 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If there is an art gallery or museum in your area it sounds like a smashing fund raiser. Perhaps a cancer support centre? Is there an haute couture shop that could display it in the window?

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Hi! OK - I found a freebeie place to host these images. I think this link will get to all of them (an album)--you just click on the squares to the right of the big image to see another image. I tried to get DH to take pix from different angles, since the colorway changes throughout. Does it look like I am wearing an afghan??

EDIT: new image hosting, so new links :

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v196/emorse/Ruana/945809364103_0_ALB.jpg

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v196/emorse/Ruana/924319364103_0_ALB.jpg

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v196/emorse/Ruana/809519364103_0_ALB.jpg

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v196/emorse/Ruana/777419364103_0_ALB.jpg

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v196/emorse/Ruana/724319364103_0_ALB.jpg

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v196/emorse/Ruana/595319364103_0_ALB.jpg

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/v196/emorse/Ruana/161229364103_0_ALB.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  2:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message
Elizabeth,

That is beautiful! I can easily see it being worn in Santa Fe. You see lots of "wearable art" there. Hopefully you can find the right charity so it can raise the amount of money that it deserves.

Cayli in San Diego

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Go to Top of Page

susnp25
Chatty Knitter

Australia
346 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  6:17:10 PM  Show Profile Send susnp25 a Private Message
Elizabeth,
That sure is my style of garment, I just love it.
I would wear it over everything!
The colours, the size, the lot, what a great gift to be able give some charity.
I hope they make a lot of money, I would call it wearable art, that would certainly give it an upmarket appeal.
Well done, the colour blend looks perfect.
Susan in Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  6:24:45 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
Gorgeous! Great work, Elizabeth! I hope it makes a lot of money for your chosen charity! I have been setting aside the odd skein of yarn to make one of those someday...it's a great excuse to buy just one skein of something I can't resist but can't afford enough of for a whole project. One day my bag of stuff will be big enough to make one, and I hope it comes out as beautiful as yours!
Lin
Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  6:49:32 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
Beautiful!!! And I definitely think South America when I see it. Great Job! Kind of kicks me into gear to finish the shawl I am making -- nowhere near as big as that one -- I just have to find a couple more yarns to add to the mix.

karen in the U.P. of MI
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  8:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Oh, just wonderful. Someone will see that and HAVE to buy it, refusing to feel guilty for overbidding at a charity auction (happens all the time), they'll drop a fortune -- and everyone will be happy!!! That'd be magnificent for evenings in the desert.

Now I want one for cool evenings at the beach.
Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

letti
Chatty Knitter

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  8:51:43 PM  Show Profile Send letti a Private Message
Elizabeth,
What a beautiful piece of work. It has South America written over it. I love it. Would wear it over a whole lot of things. Beautiful color scheme. You wear it well. Hope what ever charity you choose gets a lot of money for it. Great piece for a Knit-Out & Crochet-Too Fashion Show.

Letti in South Carolina

"Anybody is liable to fall off a tightrope in any land, I thought, and God help you if you fall the wrong way."
Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  9:02:33 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Thanks, you guys! I am just eating up your praise! I had no idea I needed to hear such warm fuzzies today, but I am lapping it up! This place is the best!
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  09:01:55 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Elizabeth, I concur with everyone that it is just beautiful, and it looks great on you!

PattiG
Atlanta
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  10:27:11 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Elizabeth, I have the book Folk Shawls & love the ruana. I would like to make it, but feel I'm too short(5'2"). Maybe I'll make it for my sister in law instead. It sounds great!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  10:55:42 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Trina, I am 5'3"--and in the pictures I posted (link above)you can see how long it is on me--but I think you could easily adjust the length by casting on fewer stitches--which would make the project quicker!
Go to Top of Page

Teri
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  1:39:28 PM  Show Profile Send Teri a Private Message
Elizabeth,

What GORGEOUS work. Wow!

Teri
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked