Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How has the Internet changed your knitting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

michelle
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  02:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit michelle's Homepage Send michelle a Private Message
I was just thinking the other day. If I had no access to the Internet, how would my knitting be different?
When I started to knit four years ago, I already had Internet access, and was quickly able to find helpful websites, free patterns, and discussion groups to encourage me.
Without the Internet, I wouldn't have learnt many techniques (e.g. magic loop, SSK decrease, three needle bind off), I wouldn't have tried socks, or had access to (or even know about) all the lovely patterned sock yarns. I probably wouldn't have tried lace knitting or knitting shawls.
I wouldn't have had access to many of the kniting books (which I tend to buy through amazon),and wouldn't be aware of the many US knitting magazines (although I might have seen them is Borders, if I had known to look for them). The list goes on....
Most importantly ,I wouldn't have realised just how many knitters of all ages were out there, and might have felt slightly isolated. I certainly wouldn't have met up with Anjeanette (a.k.a. Purlewe) on here recent trip to London (we had a great time yarn shopping at the Liberty sale, and she brought over some lovely gifts for me - Thanks!)
Just wondered how the Internet had changed knitting for everyone else.
Michelle

http://www.retroknits.com
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/retroknits

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  04:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
What an intersting topic! The Internet and KR have opened up my knitting world. When I returned to the craft after several years away, there was so much to be found online that my interest and knowledge increased by leaps and bounds in a very short time. Purchasing most of my yarn and supplies online, supplemented by a not-so-local LYS (which I also found online) makes it possible for me to experiment with new yarn and techniques. I, too, wouldn't have tried making socks without Clara's tutorial, or access to beautiful sock yarns, or information on techniques and history. I feel like I am a part of a community, and my work-focused life really needs these kinds of connections.

Jane

My (non-knitting) photo album:
http://jane.c.home.mindspring.com/
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  05:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Excellent topic,Michelle! One of the best I think.
I think I could write for days on this,but will just mention the first to mind.
Some things that comes to mind- when I was knitting pre-internet,many of my project choices were based on what was in Vogue Knitting and yarn was purchased from a shop who had an ad in the magazine. I had to phone in the order and hope for the best as far as what the yarn looked like.
If I wanted another color,or a yarn I hadn't seen, I would have them describe the colors. If I couldn't really tell the colors that way, I often had to buy a color card ,wait for it to come in the mail, then call to order hoping they stocked the color I chose.
Another thing is getting to know the people behind the designs and the yarn companies. Email brings people closer. I posted on socknitters soon after the Peak Experience sock pattern came out about how fun it was. The designer emailed me to say "thanks" and we have developed a friendship from that.
Also, from knitting so many designs with Lorna's Laces yarns, Lorna called me one day.What a shock to see "Lorna's Laces Yarns" on my caller id when the phone rang.
A really funny one was about Mags Kandis of Mission Falls yarns. I had posted in KR about using her yarns and loving them.Some months later I was at a knitting retreat where she was an instructor. When I introduced myself, she said she knew my name from my post.
One last thing- before the internet, if I got some yarn or a knitting book that I really didn't like,if I couldn't return it for some reason, I was stuck with it. With groups like knitswap, I am always able to swap or sell what I don't need. My knitting room is filled with what I love and will use, instead of being clutterd with mistake purchases,and things I later descided I don't need/want. Anyway, will enjoy reading what others say.
Lisa

Designs for hand knit socks...
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Knitting photos...
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page

Idoknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  05:39:32 AM  Show Profile Send Idoknit a Private Message
Great Topic. I am a new knitter. If it weren't for the internet I don't believe I would be a knitter at all. I can say literally, that the internet taught me how to knit. In fact, the first thing I searched with the search engine was "how to knit". I found wonderful information including animated demonstrations. I didn't even know how to classify knitting needles by type. One thing has lead to another and I finally found the KR. (the best I might add)
I live in the mountains of Maine and do not have access to many knitting items. The internet has come to the rescue, showing me where to buy supplies.

Just yesterday, I checked out the above responders web site. What a talented lady. I am in awe.

G
Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  06:50:23 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
Besides access to yarn, mostly through Elann, I've benefitted the advice and wisdom of other knitters here. It's like a 24/7 knitters guild meeting.

I recall last year I was working on my first baby sweater and wasn't sure it was coming out right. I posted a question and a kind soul from New Zeland answered. I'm sure without the internet, I wouldn't be getting knitting advice from a Kiwi!
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  06:50:39 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Isn't Lisa's site great! G. Awesome. If you haven't had a chance to look at Wildhorsefarmers site go there now! I am an internet learned knitter also. I was basically housebound a year ago and was going stir crazy with nothing to do w/ my hands and I was so tired of cross stitching and crochet. I had crocheted 6 throw rugs, scarves, sweaters, doilies and didn't want to pick up another crochet hook. I had always wanted to really learn to knit so I got on line and searched How to Knit. The internet opened a whole new world for me and gave me lifelong friends in the knitting world...across the world! I buy most of my knitting projects over the net. I would have gone insane over the past year if I hadn't had this computer and my knitting.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

argus
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  06:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit argus's Homepage Send argus a Private Message
I love this topic! Without the Internet it would have been impossible to meet all the wonderful people from KR and participate in discussions. Lisa helped me with some site-related questions (how to create your own small business online), and everything looks much easier when you can count on friendly support. I am not even mentioning the Internet yarn and pattern bonanza!

Argus

Carpe diem.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  07:11:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I too returned to knitting after an absence of about 5 years. What a shock I found on the Internet. Most of my free time is before or after business hours so my visits to LYS are very quick (I mean 15 minutes!). The Internet enables me to shop or browse at any time or on any day and see everything available in the global market, not just what has been edited to the taste levels of a few LYS owners. I love the fun of scoring on eBay and Elann. I am still loyal to Patternworks, now online, previously on paper. With the Internet I have created a beautiful and usable stash whereas before I just had leftovers from projects. Without the Internet I would not have known about KnitAble which I use constantly. When I buy a new knitting book the Internet allows me to check for errata before I start on a project. However, finding KR is the best part of Internet knitting. Specifically, without KR I would not have known about the AbFab kits and the rest of Colinette, I would never have knit socks, I would never have used dpn, I would never have tried wood needles, I would continue to have believed that I am the last person left who is an experienced knitter, I would not have found the camaraderie of knitters while still being able to avoid knitting in public (I just can't do it), I would not have been part of community projects (Vicky and Clara's throws), and on and on. Without the Internet I would not have knit nearly as much as I have in the past 10 months. The only drawback is the knitting related time I spend on the Internet instead of actually knitting.
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  08:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Most of what I have learned is related to spinning, but since I can't knit until I spin up the yarn I guess it counts! Let's see: Navajo and Andean plying; Russian join; Russian bind-off; using a marker when knitting in the round; an easy way to calculate gauge; plus I've printed up some fun sock patterns. I'm sure there's more, but my coffee-less brain isn't coming up with them at the moment.

--Susan T-O

There, but for the grace of God, goes me. Oh, @%*#)&, it IS me!!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  08:52:08 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
To sum it up, the internet has improved my knitting and my life. I fought poverty the first 20 years that I was knitting. That means no patterns, no books and very little equipment. I learned to figure out my own patterns through trial and error......lots of errors. And worked with the same yarn, over and over again. Yes, I learned a lot from doing that but after getting the internet, I found it hard to believe all the information that was available. Through it I found KR and several other knitting forums. Sometimes the forums are my only contact with the outside world when I am confined to bed. Yes my family visits but how many stimulating conversations can you have with children. Please don't misunderstand, I love chatting with the children, but an occasional adult is nice too. My daughter works so hard that she doesn't have much time to sit and talk. I think the most valuable thing I have gotten from the internet is the friends that I have made.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  09:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Without the internet, I would never have met one of my knitting heroes - Fran!

Actually, I was knitting for several years before it occured to me to start looking on line for info and yarn - why, I don't know, because I was using the internet for everything else already! For some reason, I figured if I wasn't going to a yarn shop and doing my shopping in person, I would get the wrong thing or something. Then a good friend showed me Elann.com and my life was changed forever! Well, at least the way I shop for yarn.

Prior to discovering KR, I mostly surfed for yarn and free patterns, but I was often disappointed in the quality of some of the writing I was seeing. Then one day my neighbor said to me "oh, you knit? You should look at my sister's website, Knitter's Review." Such fateful words! I immediately fell in love with Clara's clear and comfortable style. It was about six months before I got involved with the forums, though - I remember thinking "what could I have to talk about with these people?" Again, fateful words...

The internet is definitely one of the tools in my knitting bag that I use most often - though it is important to remember that the best part of all is actually picking up the needles!

Luann
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  09:06:18 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
It has allowed me instant access to yarns and techniques that I would not have heard of for ages, if at all. It's how I discovered Opal yarn, as well as many smaller local operations.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  09:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
Because of the Internet, and KR, I have a really close group of girlfriends in a seperate little knitting group. We all met here at KR, started our own Knitalong, and then kept our group small and intimate so we could all be very close in each other's lives. We all talk to each other and share stories about life and knitting almost every day. I love my Knitting Group. I have used the Internet for countless areas of knitting from ordering yarn, books, needles, magazines, blogging, reading many blogs, learning technique, etc. From other's blogs, I have found out about books, music, food, etc. that I now use in my life. The access to the Internet has changed my life in a very positive way in regard to knitting and all other areas of my life.
Go to Top of Page

cinder
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  10:07:35 AM  Show Profile Send cinder a Private Message
What a great topic. I started back to knitting and then thought about checking out knitting on the internet. There is so much information and beautiful yarns that I did not know exsited. I have ordered some wonderful yarn and the biggest plus the internet has given me is the Knitting Forum. This is such a wonderful place to visit and find out what is happening in the knitting world.
Lisa your site is so great. I enjoyed looking at all you have done. One question, where can one find the pattern for the Colinette throw. See the internet is helping again.

Merrie Jane
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  10:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I appreciate that I have access to books, yarns and needles that I would not have had without the internet, but the best part is this group. I feel connected to this group in a way that I don't feel to most of the members in my guild. Thank you. Linda
Go to Top of Page

~Jo~
Chatty Knitter

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  1:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~Jo~'s Homepage Send ~Jo~ a Private Message
If it weren't for the internet I wouldn't even be a knitter. I learned from videos online and most of the pattern I have knitted from were free ones offered in Knitty and many other places.

Also when I'm stuck on a pattern, where else can you find help way past your bed time?

~Jo~, knitting blogger
http://www.joknits.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  1:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Hmmm...interesting question! Took some thinking about but -
I wouldn't have found KR
I wouldn't be knitting nearly as much as I do
I wouldn't be on the computer nearly as much either!
I doubt that I would have knitted any socks and I probably wouldn't have realised just how great Opal yarn is either
My knitting wouldn't have improved the same as it has as I wouldn't have had access to all of you wonderful, experienced people on KR!
Looks like the Internet gets the thumbs up in the knitting circle!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  3:07:28 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
How did it change my knitting????? I found knitting friends!!!!! It opened up a world of knitting buddies to me! It let me 'talk' to people who know and talk knitting!

Vanessa

"Children learn by watching & mimicking your actions, not by listening to your 'words of widom'."
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  3:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Without the Internet, I would have been much slower to pick up on newer yarns and patterns, and would not have made as many things as I have in the past year. I also would not have found the yarn sales that I have -- nor would I have as big a stash!!

I also wouldn't have a 'blog, nor would I have as much fun each day as I do, reading my favourite blogs, and corresponding with all my new dear friends here at KR.

I'd say, its a blessing!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  4:20:32 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I honestly think that the web has helped increase the popularity of knitting within my age group and younger; I'm 33.

In my time on KR I discovered a few people in and around Toronto who now gather together a couple times a month. This is great because otherwise I'd just be knitting alone at home! That's enjoyable, but it's still nice to get together with others who have a shared interest.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

jj1150
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  4:52:13 PM  Show Profile Send jj1150 a Private Message
This is a great subject!! When I decided I wanted to "relearn" how to knit, I used the internet in search of .... * yarn * books * needles * patterns * technique instructions * etc. ... and learned so much just from absorbing what different sites had to offer. And what other knitters had to say.

Even tho I went out and bought way tooo many books (at B&N one afternoon), it seems easier to do a "google search" for a technique, rather than "search" thru the knitting books (even tho I do enjoy browsing thru them ... when you're in a hurry to know something, the internet is the way to go).

One thing, when I got the knitting bug again, I wanted to knit sweaters (I love sweaters); and I kept reading about all these crazy women knitting socks ... and I said to myself "who would want to knit socks"? ... now guess who does ... ME, ME, ME!! And I have compiled, with the help of the internet & Ebay, lots & lots of sock yarn that for a knitted project is affordable (not to mention FUN to do). And needles. And patterns!!!

I think keeping this craft "alive" is important ... and any medium that helps do that is an asset to the craft itself.

jody

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.