Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Yarn Shops in Italy?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sarahsthreads
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  4:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit sarahsthreads's Homepage Send sarahsthreads a Private Message
I'm headed to Italy in March for a week, and I was wondering if anyone might know of any good little (or big) yarn shops I could stop in anywhere in Venice or Rome? I'm kind of figuring yarn would be a great light-weight souvenir. OK, who am I kidding, I just want to have an excuse to use all the Italian I'm learning regarding fiber content and colors!

And if anyone has any good recommendations for things to do, that might be off the beaten path, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

http://sarahsthreads.com/journal/

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  5:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Oh there's gotta be some great ones. I my favorite Plymouth Yarn, Firenze, is made in Italy.

Buona fortuna, spero che abbiate un viaggio grande.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  6:08:29 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Sarah and welcome to the forums. I don't know of any yarn shops in Venice or Rome but if there is an Italian consulate in your area contact them. They will be more than happy to tell you about different shops. Who knows they might even have a list. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  10:08:41 PM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
Buying Italian made yarns in Italy might be quite a bargain since it won't have the U.S. tarrifs applied and you might be able to buy them VAT free. In France, most large department stores have yarn departments. It might be the same in Italy.

Have a great trip!
Go to Top of Page

oneangel77
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  11:40:25 PM  Show Profile Send oneangel77 a Private Message
This is OT but I just wanted to say that I am so jealous! I would love to go to Italy!! Maybe one day I can get over there.
Go to Top of Page

sarahsthreads
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  09:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit sarahsthreads's Homepage Send sarahsthreads a Private Message
Ooh, I didn't think about the possibility of whole yarn departments in department stores! (Why don't we have that here?) But I was definitely thinking that buying the yarn locally would be cheaper...I'll just have to go with a list of projects I might need yarn for!

The consulate is a great idea - the nearest one to me, though, is probably the one in NYC, but since we're driving there a couple of days before we fly out, maybe I'll have a chance to stop in and ask!

Sarah :)

Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  10:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message
Sarah, congrats on your trip - it sounds wonderful!

For shops, have a look at http://www.adriafil.com. I can't find a list of shops, but it looks like you can contact them for a list of yarn shops in Italy that carry their stuff.

HTH!

Felicia

"This is mohair." "Mohair", he said and placed the furry ball on his head. "Mohair for me?" - from a very funny moment with my boyfriend in a LYS.
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  11:58:34 AM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
I found a yarn store in Lucca near Florence, but be prepared for a different shopping experience! Here in the States, salespeople can be an unwanted and undeeded fixture (until checkout at least), but the stores in Italy (in my experience) keep a lot out of site. They really want to be helping you. After poking my head into several shops in Florence looking for the "perfect" leather jacket, I finally told the salesman what I was looking for -- and he had it!!! But it wasnt out where you could see it. And now I really do have the "perfect" leather jacket. So if you do find a yarn store keep asking questions and see what they might produce from the back room :)

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  1:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi,

I was in Italy back in October. Unfortunately, Knitting isn't experiencing the same kind of boom there that it is here. Most of the stores we found that carry yarn were stores selling things like hairbows and women's underwear and they happened to have a small selection of yarn. Sorry to rain on your parade.

However, we did find 2 real yarn shops. One was on a small island in an even smaller town off the Amalfi coast. The other was in Rome! I'm pretty sure I marked it on the map I have at home and that I have their card so I'll check tonight and post their address tomorrow. They were huge and had lots of stuff but didn't speak any English!

Please do let us know if you find any others while there. We will be going back again perhaps as soon as this fall.

Martheme

visit my blog @ http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

clevergrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  2:56:11 PM  Show Profile Send clevergrl a Private Message
sarah,

first off, iam also jealous since italy is the destination of my dreams!

now that that's out of the way...you might try beverly's suggestion of contacting the consulate, but maybe through e-mail.

also the following website has a way that you can e-mail them a question; maybe they know of some shops, or where you could find out about some.

www.travel-italy.com

good luck! and have sooo much fun on your trip!

jessica

Fin, todo tiene un fin
menos el fuego de tus ojos
Go to Top of Page

sarahsthreads
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  4:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit sarahsthreads's Homepage Send sarahsthreads a Private Message
Martheme, if you do find or remember the name of that shop in Rome, I'd be very grateful! And Jessica, that link is great! Somehow I hadn't found that site yet in my Italian internet travels.

Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions. I'll be sure to report my findings...even if it is still 6 weeks away!

Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  5:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi Sarah,

I haven't been able to find the card with the name of the store, but I'm pretty sure I remember where it was. It is between Piazza Navona and Piazza Campo De'Fiori. I believe it to be on the corner of Corso Vittorio Emanuelle II and either via Dei Baullari or piazza d. cancelleria both of which go into the flower market. I'm sure I could find it again if you like to take me with you ;)

Have a great time, I'd love to hear all about it when you get back! Oh, if you'd like some restaurant suggestions for Rome, we have a few GREAT ones!

now, I'm hungry!

Martheme

visit my blog @ http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by