Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Post Wedding Wrap Up - long!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  03:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Skip over things if you like, ask for more detail if you want - but here is our story - the wedding was an absolute dream. I think the only thing I would have changed even if I'd had a million dollars to do it with would be to have paid for everything myself, and to have been able to give everyone the kind of accomadations we had at the Gramercy the night previous and the night after the wedding. I am such a lucky woman!

The wedding went off with only minimal hitches, ones that weren't really any bother (like flowers being distributed after the ceremony began) and ones that made me laugh (like the entrance of the Gramercy's resident feline, Romeow). My bridesmaids were exceedingly generous with their sweet gifts, and looked beautiful (as we knew they would!). My step-son was handsome, charming, and the most mature, adorable eleven-year-old on the planet - we were so proud of him! The groomsmen were their usual handsome and charming selves, too.

As you may know, I lost my very precious cat Misha just four weeks before the wedding. She'd been my best friend for nearly fourteen years, and one of the things I whispered to her while she died in my arms was that the only way I would let her go is if she promised to come to my wedding. As my brother and our dear friend Laura sang the words "Just like God in his heaven, I will always be there" in one of our wedding songs, Romeow brushed past my skirt, ran down the center aisle of the ceremony, and glanced back at me. I knew then, and many people said to me afterwords, that my Misha had sent him through so I would remember she was there.

My readers were wonderful - even Todd, who got his readings switched at the last minute because I couldn't remember which poems I'd sent him! - and it was so beautiful to see my parents gazing at each other as they read their words of love. It is from them that I get my faith in marriage, the belief that such a committment can work in this world, and the model for how to be a good partner.

I hope everyone else enjoyed the food, the dancing, and the fun as much as I did! Our party favors were small tree saplings - each person invited to the wedding was part of the roots that made Ken and I who we are today. We wanted to return the roots with something else that would continue to grow - tiny oak trees!

The next morning (you get no further details of the wedding night!!!) Ken and I rushed around to get to Dulles airport in DC to catch a plane where we would then fly to Bermuda. We got to the airport just barely in time. The sign at the United desk said the current time was "6:35" above that, our flight time was listed as "6:40". We went to check in, and were told that it had left. Ken said "early?" and the woman, without looking back, but pointing at the sign that said "6:40", said "no, it left at 6:30." To make an already long story short, it hadn't left, we did make it on that plane, and then we sat there, we were told because of mechanical troubles. When we expressed concern over missing a flight, we were told it would be fine. Then we landed, rushed to our next gate... and missed the flight.

At which point, we discovered that United Airlines is rude, incompetent, and generally bad. The manner in which we were spoken to was reprehensible. We were refused any kind of assistance, and were told the only thing we could do was wait a full 24-hours. They refused to pay for a room for the evening, or any of the three meals we would have to have in Boston instead of Bermuda (need I mention that we were not exactly dressed for thirty degree snowy weather?) When we called their customer service line (after some degree of difficulty in even getting that - we were informed that United Express has nothing to do with United at all. Except that United runs it. But otherwise, they have nothing to do with it, and there is no customer service line to call.) they told us that they would arrange for us to be on an American Airlines flight to Bermuda that afternoon. All we had to do was go back to the service desk in the airport and get the tickets signed over. So we attempted to do that, at which point our friends there (the manager was called back to help us, and when she saw us said "I can't believe I ran over here for this") refused. Literally, the manager said "I will not do that. I don't care if customer service said I could, I will not do that, I will not call them to verify, and I'm putting in your computer file that no one else should do it either." After two more calls to United airlines customer service, the first saying that the woman should have no problem taking care of us (and us again being turned down in person) and the second saying that the first two calls were incorrect, they should not have told us that, and United, in fact, didn't care that we were stranded on the first day of our honeymoon, they were not going to make things right.

It's a good thing Ken and I like each other - we kept saying if there was anyone to be stuck in this mess with, we're very glad it was our new spouse!!!

The next morning, as we attempted again to board the plane, we were told that despite what the Bermuda consolite says on their website, we needed birth certificates or passports to get into the country. By sweet talking them with some of the previous days horror story and really working the honeymoon angle, we were able to get Ken through with his government credentials, and me through with a faxed copy of my birth cerificate. We finally got to Bermuda 24 hours late, and it was amazing. The hotel was just not done proper justice by the descriptions on the internet. It was breathtaking. We rented a moped for two days and rode around the entire country at top speed (okay, so the country is only 22 miles, and top speed limit all over is only 28 mph, but still!) It was so exciting. The property the hotel was on was tremendous - I have pictures of my husband snorkeling taken from our hotel room! There were actual caves not twenty yards from our door! I went snorkeling myself the next day - wouldn't you know it was the prospect of seeing some of the parrotfish Ken saw the day before that got me over my fear! Everything we had to eat was positively scrumptious, service was impeccable, everyone we met was warm and friendly, and the country simply pristine. It was such an amazing, beautiful, perfect time. We plan to go back over and over!

On our way through customs, we were stopped again for proper paperwork, this time being told that Ken's government credentials were not, in fact, enough. (when casually I commented that he flies all the time, the woman responded "not out of the country he doesn't". Um. Yeah. Actually, he does.) And that we needed the birth certificate with the raised seal, a copy wouldn't work. "I just don't know how they let you through the first time" - at which point, I mustered every ounce of southern charm I've ever had and said "They were probably just being sweet because we're on our honeymoon" "Honeymoon? Congratulations - go ahead through." Come to think of it, why work to leave Bermuda!!!

When we finally got back to Dulles airport, we were tired, and ready to be back home... and United airlines lost Ken's bag.... took two days for that to get back to us.

So we're home. We're happy. And in an added blessing, I forgot my lunch yesterday and had to run back in the house to get it. That delayed me leaving for work by less than 30 seconds. The speed limit on I-95 is 65 mph. I was about half a mile behind the horrific accident there yesterday afternoon. The math is quite frightening...

I will have a website up with wedding pictures - including some close ups of the STUNNING necklaces I made my girls with Annie Modesitt's pattern - things will be added as we get pictures back.... http://theknot.com/co_pwpa.htm?coupleid=104186815973372

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  04:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
CONGRATULATIONS!!! How crummy about the flight - but oh man, I'm happy to hear the good news about the wedding. If you two could weather such a rocky trip - you're likely to make it happily through all future journeys.

Thanks for making me smile.
Love

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  05:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Wheeeeeee!!!! The long-awaited wedding has finally occurred... Thank you for such a fabulous play-by-play description - I really feel like I was right there with you. (And I'm tempted to email United and say, "Um, do you realize that poor customer service actually does come back to haunt you? Here's a post for you to enjoy...")

I would post more, but I'm off to check out your site...

CONGRATULATIONS to you both, two most deserving souls.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  05:53:19 AM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
Congratulations!!! I am glad that everything worked out in the end. It sounds as if the honeymoon was wonderful. What a great idea to give tree saplings as party favors. I love the symbolism. I hope that your life together continues to be as wonderful.

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  06:50:12 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Amie, congratulations and best wishes to you and Ken! How exciting to be beginning a new chapter in your life. May God bless you both with a long and happy marriage!

As to your United fiasco, all I can say is all airlines seem to be the same. I had a very similar experience with American back in August. Sigh.

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2668 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  07:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Congrats! It sounds like a wonderful ceremony. I'm sorry the airlines treated you so badly. One thing we learned on our honeymoon (advice that I give to every bride and groom I meet) is to tell every single person you encounter in a service context that you are on your honeymoon. As in, the very first words out of your mouth: "Hi, I hope you can help us, we're on our honeymoon..." We preempted a lot of hassles that way, in fact we got bumped up to first class (on United even) and given a certificate for a free dinner. I don't know if this would have helped you or not with the trolls you encountered at the airport, but it does seem to work most of the time.

Mazel tov!
Luann
Go to Top of Page

cinder
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  07:57:59 AM  Show Profile Send cinder a Private Message
Congratulations on your wonderful wedding. I got tears in my eyes when your talked about your cat letting you know she was there. Your honemoon adventures will be something you will talk about for quite awile. I am very happy for you.

Merrie Jane
Go to Top of Page

ClaireG
Seriously Hooked

602 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  08:24:12 AM  Show Profile Send ClaireG a Private Message
Congratulations also on your wedding. Send a email to the Service people at United and explain what happened. They will take care of you. Even if they are not responible(sorry for spelling) they do run it. I am surprised that if you went to a travel agent that they didn't inform you that you needed your birth certicate to get into Bermuda. But just be glad that your not flying into Boston today it is -2. Claire
Go to Top of Page

kestrel02
Warming Up

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  09:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit kestrel02's Homepage Send kestrel02 a Private Message
Congratulations on your wedding! It must have been lovely - hope you had a great photographer to record the memories of your day! They will be priceless! Airline travel can be a nightmare - and United is not the only airline that appears to have horrfic customer service - but in the long run you did have a great time and most important - you are married to the man of your dreams! Wishing you the best.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  10:12:13 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Amie Congratulations on your wonderful wedding. May you have many, many fruitful years together as husband and wife. I certainly would contact United Airlines and let them know what happened. I hope you got the name of the person who refused to do what customer service recommended. Try not to think of the horrible customer service of the honeymoon...just the awesomeness of the whole picture. It does sound like the "perfect" wedding. I am so sorry also about the loss of your baby. Loosing a loved pet is one of the most difficult things to go through. I'm glad you now have a partner to support you through these difficult times and you support him through his. Now you never have to be alone again unless you desire it. Again, Congratulations and thank you so much for letting us in for a look at your wedding.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  10:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
We did mention to everyone that we were on our honeymoon. Repeatedly. It got us through customs, and two free pair of those little earphones to watch the inflight tv shows. And after three hours of talking to customer service on the phone, they informed us that the first three people who said they would help us and make up for the poor in person service were wrong. I said "You're telling me that after spending the first day of my honeymoon on the phone with you all, despite the fact that you have in you computer records three different customer service representatives telling me that United will make this right, you will in fact not make this right, and my new husband and I have to fend for ourselves to get on our honeymoon." and the response I got was "That is correct."

We are both writing letters to United, and my personal approach has been to tell absolutely everyone I come in contact with that United treated us this way on our honeymoon.

It was an amazing time, and we are focussing on the many, many positives. But United should not be able to treat people the way we were treated, and I refuse to let "all the airlines are bad" be a reasonable excuse!

Hopefully I'll have some pictures up on the website tonight - our digital camera is only compatible with my husband's (still fun to say that!) lap top, and he keeps forgetting to put the two units in the same rooms as each other! We plan on getting some of our honeymoon pictures on disk, so we can add some Bermuda pictures to the site, and the pictures from the photographer will be coming back shortly. We'll see if we can get some of them up, too!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  10:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I'm so glad that your wedding was exactly as you hoped! Jen and I were talking about you on Monday, hoping everything had been okay.

You're so close now - I'd love to see you one of these days!

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Go to Top of Page

Denise
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  11:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Denise's Homepage Send Denise a Private Message
First congratulations on your wedding, I wish you a lifetime of happiness.

On the subject of airlines, some of them just don't understand customer service. A few years ago we (husband, 6 yo daughter and I) were flying from Las Vegas to Los Angeles to connect with an Air France flight to Paris. Our American West flight was delayed, we were told repeatedly - no problem - they would get all the international connections through. We were scheduled to arrive in LA at 10 am and depart on Air France at 4:45 pm. We got to LA at 5:05. American West would do nothing for us, we were stuck for the night. The next day, Air France bent over backwards to help us. My husband and I were confirmed but DD was not. The lady helping us asked her manager what to do - the manager looked at her like she was crazy and said, "Just confirm their daughter's flight." They then asked us to wait to check in so that they could rearrange seats to get us seated together and so my husband could have leg room (he's 6'4"). Air France was wonderful - unfortunately on the way home, Amercia West stranded us at LAX for 12 hours, cancelled two of our flights that day, laughed at passengers who were stranded and threatened to arrest me when I finally told them they were incompetent. I was never so glad to just get home.

On a more positive note, Aime, I am still thrilled after 17 years of marriage to refer to my love as "husband".
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  11:22:35 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Congratulations on such a beautiful wedding-- in spite of airline mishaps (and good for you for getting them bad press) :) Go for it :) And enjoy life *after* the wedding now! :)

m
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  11:56:58 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Congrats! And nest time, don't listen to anyone who says you don't need proper ID! Never, ever, travel without a passport.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  12:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
Ok, so I'm from Maryland so I know about the accident on I-95. OMG. Were you actually stuck on 95 for hours? I think it was actually closed from 3pm to 3am this morning.
Congrats on your marriage. Deep breaths on the rest :)
Christina P.
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  2:35:47 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Congrats Amie on your wedding.Thank you for sharing with us!!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  2:49:35 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
Can you tell me the name of your hotel??? A friend just got engaged and I would love to pass on the recommendation.

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  11:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Wow, Amie, so glad you had a great time in Bermuda after all the trouble getting there!! Congratulations on your marriage! I can't wait to see the photos,too. While I do believe that many companies are very lacking in customer service, I think we should let them know about it, not just accept it. I hope you will contact them. I like Clara's idea of sending them your post. LOL

Barb
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  12:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
We stayed at the Grotto Bay hotel, which is close enough to see the airport. Service was fantastic, and everyone we spoke with on the island was very friendly! We rented a moped from a man just off the hotel property, and snorkling gear from guys not related to the hotel, but everything could be charged to the room. The hotel was NOT done justice by the internet pictures and ratings! I've got tons of pictures that will take some time to get developed (it gets expensive!) but as I get them on our page, I'll let you know!

Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  11:06:40 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
Congratulations, Amie and Ken! Doesn't something always have to be a little mixed up at the wedding just to make it a little more memorable?

Glad you had a wonderful time in Bermuda.

Mary Lou
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.