Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting Journals?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gorgeous Fluffy Cheeks
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  08:41:04 AM  Show Profile Send Gorgeous Fluffy Cheeks a Private Message
Hello everyone--am enjoying reading posts and info since joining in Dec...
I have been keeping a journal of each project I've done since starting to knit. (I'm not a fast knitter so it's not very big yet!!) I've been including a picture of project, piece of yarn, size needles I used, who it was for, start and finish date, whatever comes to mind about that particular item. Does anyone else do this? What kind of information do you add? (Just thought I could also add the price of yarn used and price of total project...)
Penny

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  09:44:24 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I never used to, but now have a copy of "The Knitters JOurnal" which I find quite handy. I now take digital pics of my finished work and upload them to my PC. I have also started emailing myself any iportant knitting details, and keep them in a knitting foldeer.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

sarahsthreads
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  09:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit sarahsthreads's Homepage Send sarahsthreads a Private Message
Well, I don't really put in pictures or pieces of yarn, but I mainly use my knitting journal to keep track of the details for all of my projects (there are too many to keep straight in my head!)

For each project I track:
  • the name and source of the pattern

• the start date - and eventually the end date!

• which needles (including brand and length) I'm using - that's in case I have to "borrow" them for some other project

• the yarn - colors, dyelots, and how many skeins I've used so far

• what size I'm making

• what my gauge was

Since I have the bad habit of putting things down for long periods of time, all of that information helps me find the pieces of a project when I pick it back up again. I also generally don't follow a pattern to the letter, so I write down the changes I make. And you'll find lots of tick marks in it, because I like the number of rows on the front and back of a sweater to be the same.

I've never really thought of keeping track of the prices of the yarn or the total project, because I'm not really sure if I *want* to know how much my knitting habit costs me!

This is a neat topic - I'd love to know what other knitters track for their projects!

Sarah :)

http://sarahsthreads.com/journal/
Go to Top of Page

Leanne
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
384 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  09:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leanne's Homepage Send Leanne a Private Message
A Knitting Journal is such a good idea. I wish I had done this when I began. I even have trouble keeping a record of the patterns I am developing. I say, "good on you!"

http://www.oknitting.com
Go to Top of Page

caramel93117
Chatty Knitter

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  10:15:46 AM  Show Profile Send caramel93117 a Private Message
I asked for a knitting journal for Xmas but did not receive one, so I've been thing about just making one for myself. I realized that I wish I had taken pictures of some of the things I made for Xmas last year. I won't make that mistake again. I do put the pictures I've taken so far in a folder on my computer. When I have enough to make it worth my while, I'll take them to Costco to have them developed and hopefully have abook to put them in by then. It would be neat to look back and see how my knitting progresses over the years.

Melissa

"Take your needle, my child, and work your pattern--it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that...one stitch at a time taken patiently."--Oliver Wendall
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  10:28:34 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I have the Knitter's Journal...I recently saw it on sale at a really cheap price...like $4 or something equally cheap! I wish I had ordered a few, because now I can't remember where I saw it. It was on line....if anyone remembers please let me know. I just started doing this...I can't keep all my WIPs straight. So I thought I better start writing them down. I put the start date. Pattern name, type of yarn used(color,dyelot,yards used), needle sizes, changes I make to the pattern and anything else...like if I liked the pattern and yarn, and finally, the finished date. It will help me keep track of what I have made, what I'm working on, and what I want to make in the future. I also have started to record what I plan to make w/ yarn I'm ordering on line. I usually have some idea what I want to make but by the time the yarn arrives, I forget. So writing it down helps me remember. I may or may not chose to make that specific project....

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  12:46:34 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I really like the idea of a knitting journal or a huge scrapbook type as well. My daughter Mignon would be in heaven to help me with that as she loves scrapbooking!!!!!! Vicky, if you ever come up with that site that is selling them for 4.00 let me know!!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

knittiegirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  1:07:56 PM  Show Profile Send knittiegirl a Private Message
I too have "The Knitter's Journal" - my sweet BF bought me five of them one day - I had picked up one to buy and he declared that it would be filled too quickly and bought me an additional four. He's sweet. I've been filling them up! I keep a picture of finished work - piece of the yarn, yarn lables, info on gauge and needles, etc. how long it took me to make the project and notes on what I might do differently. I love keeping a knitting journal.

Fall down seven times, get up eight.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  1:55:31 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I thought the journal was exclusive to Crafters Choice. Where did you all get yours - online or in a shop?

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

scarflover
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  6:18:57 PM  Show Profile Send scarflover a Private Message
I got the Knitting Journal at Barnes and Noble. It's blue with a woman knitting on the cover; is that the same one you have, Monika?

I really like it, too, as it's just so easy to keep. It's fun to fill out the pages and tape some yarn and a picture on. I get a real feeling of accomplishment!

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  6:30:05 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Vicky, I bought a couple at Amazon and a couple more at Overstock.com. I love being able to enter it in the journal, and then throw away the rest of the ball bands, etc.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  6:45:07 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
I just bought the very same Knitting Journal from my bookclub here in Aus. It was a bit more than $4 about A$15 I think but it sounds like the same one - blue cover, spiral bound, lady knitting on front.

I plan to use it for both finished projects and to keep notes on intended projects - so that I then don't have to spend hours poring thru my books trying to remember them all.

Diana
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  12:43:17 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by scarflover

I got the Knitting Journal at Barnes and Noble. It's blue with a woman knitting on the cover; is that the same one you have, Monika?

Lisa

No, mine is spiral bound and has a blue cover, with knittng needles on the front cover. I just searched ebay, amazon, overstock, and barnes and noble web site, but none of them have this any more!

It looks bigger and nicer than mine. Would anybody like to swap a copy or two for some sock yarn?

Monika

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  02:40:28 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Mine's kind of a reddish pink w/ a window w/ balls of yorn on the cover. Spiral bound. That's the one I saw on sale also...wish I could remember where I saw them on sale so I could get a couple more.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  03:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I have been thinking about this and I am going to keep all the info on my PC - write my own database. the info I'm planning on includes: pattern source, pattern size(s)used, yarn used, brand, colour, dye lot, fibre composition and quantity, needle size, tension, start and end dates, recipient. I am also thinking of adding a digital photo of the finished garment.

Is there anything else that you constantly come back or wish you had included?

Wen

Hobbyists motto: It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  10:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message
I would like to share how I made my own knitting journal. I used a scrapbooking software, but I'm sure any inexpensive greeting card software would do it.

I opened up a full page project. Then I searched the web for "knitting backgrounds" and found a nice cable pattern which I duplicated over the entire page. I used a pretty font and made spaces for all the important info. I also glued on a pocket to hold labels and pictures, and added a slot for a yarn sample.

Then I used a 3-hole punch so I could put the pages into a binder I had; somehow I always seem to have a few on hand. Now anytime I need a page I can just print one out and fill it in. I usually forget to take pictures of my projects, so I'm hoping the journal will help keep me on top of it!

My only problem now is the cover, it's one of those grey utilitarian things, and doesn't have the pocket so I could slip in a page.
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  3:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
I want to thank you guys. Your posting about this topic reminded me what I've been wanting to do for the last 2 months. So... This weekend, with an extra spiral bound notebook from my honey (gotta love having a teacher in your life) I wrote down all my projects from the last year, added yarn, pics if I had them (and many of mine are digital, so I need to get prints made), and all the vitals. It made me feel really good. I found that I have 15 projects knitted last yr, with really only 1 that needs to be completed. Now I can start the year with my journal and put each new project as it comes along. I also want to put a page in there with ideas I want to knit over the coming year (charlotte's web, a matching sweater set, a tank) as well as presents planned and completed. When I was done My SO was so proud of me, she said I just grinned from ear to ear. And all those ball bands and bits of string are not sorted and extras trashed. YIPPEE!!

purlewe

My mother made me a homosexual. And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  3:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
Just a heads up - both of the Knitting Journals mentioned in this site have been on clearance online lately. B&N sold out of the blue one and I'm sure has gotten rid of the second one too. (I waited a smidge too late to order mine....) Several of my other online book sources have also been clearing them out lately, and they all say the book is no longer available in first run. You can still find the blue one on the shelves, but probably won't for much longer given it's popularity.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  4:08:54 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
The only place that had the journal was charging CAD$20.00 or US$15.00

I can't be bothered printing out my own because by the time I buy the high quality paper, import pics, it ends up being more expensive.

I guess I'll just try to get some more from Crafters Choice.

Monika

Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  5:17:25 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I've been keeping a journal for quite sometime now. I record the pattern, yarn with a sample, needle size, changes & who it's for. I really liked the Knitters Jornal, but it's not big enough. When the one I'm using is full, I'm getting a big 3 ring binder & keeping evrything in there. I'll even try to get pictures this time!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2004 :  6:37:12 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
I have been keeping a journal for years--not for knitting--but to keep track of when I paid a bill, did a mammogram, planted a tree, or whatever. This month I started a journal just for knitting. It's a blank book with a padded cloth cover. It lists the project, brief description, name of the yarn, gauge, needle size, how many stitches were cast on, how many are on the needle now, washing instructions, and whatever else I might need as a reference. I normally do not use a pattern to shape the item but do put down the source of any special instructions, like "page 40, #2, Fair Isle diagrams."

This thread has given me some additional ideas. And as soon as I get a digital camera, I'll add photos. No doubt a binder would have been a better choice than the blank book, which tend eventually to lose their pages. Thanks for your ideas!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?