Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Snacking while knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SurfinSandy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  08:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit SurfinSandy's Homepage Send SurfinSandy a Private Message
Who else does this and lives to regret it...even a little?
Last night I went to bed same time as hubby, he fell asleep and I lay wide awake. So I got up, made a cup of hot cocoa with lots of marshmallows, and sat down to add a few more rows to a scarf I started earlier same day. During one pause for a sip, a marshmallow escaped and plopped right in the middle of my yarn ball! The look on my face must have been priceless, but even the dog slept thru it! Well, I thought I washed it all off with a wet towel (just acrylic yarn anyway) but after a couple more rows of knitting, I noticed my needles were a tad sticky!
Glad this scarf wasn't gonna be a gift....just adding to my scarf wardrobe! BTW...I'm trying a seaman's scarf ( http://www.knitlist.com/98gift/scarfsummary.htm ). I'm using a box stitch for the "tails" (k2, p2 for 2 rows then p2 k2 for two rows). It's turning out nice enough.

Surfin'Sandy

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  09:13:49 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I've lived to regret it so many times over the years that now I refuse to drink even water when I am knitting. I stop, put the knitting out of the way and then take a drink or eat something. Even with my self imposed rule, I have had something dropped into my knitting basket several times with the obvious consequences. One thing I did learn, is that the cheapest hypoallergenic diaper wipes work miracles with little accidents whether they are on your clothing or in your yarn or making your needles sticky. They work better than wet towels. I use the cheap/hypoallergenic because I don't want to use a lot of perfumes, lotions, etc. on my yarn. A few days ago one of my grandchlden carried my dinner in to me, stumbled and threw the whole mess on top of me, into my knitting basket, all over the bed, the floor, etc. Yuck, I just got the last of it cleaned our of the basket this morning.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  09:44:10 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
I read recently that baby powder will take grease stains out of everything, even clothes that have already been washed. I haven't tried it, but I will this weekend! I don't know if that will help Fran though! Poor Fran! If I lived by you I would come over and help you!

Vanessa in Oklahoma

"Children learn by watching & mimicking your actions, not by listening to your 'words of widom'."
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  09:48:54 AM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
When I'm knitting I favor M&M's--even if you drop them they don't cause any harm. I do have something to drink while I'm knitting, but usually only water and I keep it on the table next to me. I've always been nervous it would be overturned into the knitting baskets below, though. I only really knit with acrylic so it probably wouldn't be a disaster. The basket would probably suffer more! More proof I need an end table that closes up!

Go to Top of Page

AnitaP
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  10:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit AnitaP's Homepage Send AnitaP a Private Message
I'm not often snacking when I'm knitting. Just having my hands busy keeps me from thinking about snacking. But I snack quite a lot while I'm on the computer. I spilled some coffee on and near my notebook computer once and nearly fried it! Luckily after I had it cleaned, it worked just fine, but now I am very diligent about keeping liquids away from my computer.

To my horror the other bad spill I had was coffee all over the sofa! Thankfully my knitting, although was near by, was in a plastic, zipped tote bag and none of it actually got to my yarn!
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  10:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I'm really paranoid about my knitting, and have been placing a tv tray nearby for my liquids lately so that they don't have to be on the same table that's holding patterns.

But I have to say, I can't think of a better way to take care of insomnia!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  10:27:52 AM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
kind of tangential, but any kind of powder is much better for grease stains than water on immediate application. In restaurants, you can even use salt...the powder or salt will act like kitty litter and leach a lot of stuff out of the stain and it should come out much easier when you finally do wash it. This has even worked on tomato sauce stains for me :)

Just an FYI. :)

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  10:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
I snack with abandon when I knit
I actually eat my cereal and drink my coffee and water in the morning while knitting. That's some of my prime time. DH is asleep, have about 45 min between showering and leaving for work. The other day, I ran back in the kitchen to get the coffee and a ball of yarn was caught around my ankle - the cat was delirious
with joy . No big accidents yet (knock on wood).
Christina P
(typed while eating a pb&j sandwich for lunch)
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  11:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
actually, one of the reasons I knit so avidly, is that it keeps my hands busy and my mind occupied so I don't want to snack! (at least, so I don't snack when I'm not genuinely hungry).

I don't eat while I knit because of concern about getting food particles from my hands onto the knitting...I'm a sloppy eater...and sometimes I put projects away for months at a time, that would be bad insect-wise if they had crumbs in them.

I do drink tea (so far, have never spilled; I generally put my kntting down before I go for a sip) or water while I knit.
Go to Top of Page

bogrady
Warming Up

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  11:31:44 AM  Show Profile Send bogrady a Private Message
Gee, I never think of eating when I knit. I do have a cup of tea (herbal) every night but that's all. We eat so late anyway, there isn't time to get hungry again. On occasion we will eat in front of the TV - my favourite knitting spot - and I did tip over a glass of red wine. The only thing ruined was my knitting journal - which I was just getting used to using (recording progress etc.) - but no yarn was hurt in that accident! Since then, I don't take the wine to my TV viewing area unless I've moved all projects and important knitting stuff. Live and learn.

Do you folks lose needles and such down the sides of your sofa? I'm always searching for dp needles, stitch markers, circular needles, etc. I worry that a family member will be stabbed by rouge pointy instrument, if I don't find them after the first search.

Bev
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  12:19:00 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
One of the reasons I taught myself to knit was to keep my hands busy so I wouldn't smoke or nibble....I'm a snaker...rarely eat a whole meal. But I had really hurt my back and was going to be laid up for months and found myself eating out of boredom and had increased my smoking to two packs aday...!!! So I took up knitting. I rarely snack anymore...so I am able to eat my meals and I'm down to 1/2 pack of cigs daily....working my way to none! If Lelani did it....so can I...Unfortunately I have failed every time I quit cold turkey so my counselor suggested I cut down month by month and so far so good! This way hopefully I will not gain a bunch of weight which would be a disaster for my back problem.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  12:52:03 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I rarely eat while knitting, but I always have a drink handy.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  12:55:42 PM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
So far I haven't spilled food or drink on knitting, though I can't imagine why not. My big problem is cat hair. My cats are always trying to get on my lap and love it when I'm knitting so they can snuggle into and under the knitted piece. I've trained them not to attack the moving yarn, but I end up with cat hair knitted into the fabric so everything looks tweedy.

I've tried to put a napkin or smallish towel between the cat and my knitting which works if the cat is fast asleep, otherwise it just falls off. Anyone got a better idea?

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

iknitsox
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  2:03:43 PM  Show Profile Send iknitsox a Private Message
No time! I knit alot of socks and keeping the stitches correct and on those double pointed needles leaves me with no extra hand to feed myself! Maybe we could promote knitting as dietetic!

Cindy L.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2655 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  2:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I too find that knitting keeps me from noshing, so I rarely if ever am doing both. I drink mostly water nowadays anyway (started WW in April and have been gradually losing, now at -31.5 lbs, thanks to cutting out the daily sodas...) I am a notorious spiller - on my desk at work I use a sports bottle since whenever I have a glass of something I invariably knock it over onto my papers.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

jeniflower
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  2:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeniflower's Homepage Send jeniflower a Private Message
I find that I don't eat while I am knitting and then I set down my project because the phone rings, nature calls or something and then I realize I am starving!!

I also have cats and this is my biggest problem with running a project - they love to lay on top of the halfway completed sweater or blanket so I have to be very diligent about putting away my knitting when it is time for bed. Fortunately, they don't attack the yarn while I am knitting but, they are very intrigued when I knit with straight needles - they love to play with those - so, I usually use circular needles, they seem to ignore my knitting when I use those!

Also, Vicky - congratulations on cutting down on your cigarette intake! Keep it up!
Go to Top of Page

eclaire26

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  2:52:31 PM  Show Profile Send eclaire26 a Private Message
I, too, look at knitting as a way to keep from snacking (along with all the other wonderful benefits it provides!) I lost 30 pounds alomst two years ago due to a nightmarish emotional experience, and the weight loss was the only good thing to come out of it. I'm determined to keep the pounds off! Whenever I feel like snacking, if I'm not really, truly hungry, I pick up my knitting and have a glass of water or V8 juice. It keeps my hands out of the cookie jar!
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
1953 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  4:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Add my voice saying "Me too!" to the "I knit therefore I don't snack" group. When I knit (or quilt), I try to always wash my hands before I begin to knit/quilt. I think that this will keep my fibers/fabric cleaner. This helps me when I attend board meetings for the Friends of our Library or their book group meetings since they generally have snacks out. That helps w/the calorie counting.
Re drinking while knitting, yes I do, be it in the AM (coffee, water) or at night (a beer, glass of wine, water).
To you all who mentioned your watchful habits re your diets, your weight losses, your curbing of your cig habits - way to go! We want you to be healthier & around for a long time to come!
And re that red wine spill, I read that white wine will help to neutralize the red wine. The books by the Queen of Clean are the best - check them out for some of the best clean it up tips.
Martha
Go to Top of Page

sky.witch@bresnan.net
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  4:47:28 PM  Show Profile Send sky.witch@bresnan.net a Private Message
Hiyas! Add me to the list of 'don't eat and knit.' Snacking in front of the TV was what made me teach myself to knit. ... that and I got tired of doing cross-stitch with those tiny needles and itty-bitty thread. Now my favorite projects are socks and lace ... so much for getting rid of tiny needles and itty-bitty thread.

Anyhoo, I too try to wash my hands before picking up a project and that keeps me from stuffing my face while I rip out my last mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4368 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  5:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I don't snack and knit either, but not because of crumbs or spills. Knitting has helped me lose a lot (and I mean a lot!) of weight in the past year -- no snacking, no sugar, good food, more exercise (well, knitting hasn't exactly helped there). The bonus: all the new sweaters that I will wear proudly, and the wonderful satisfaction that creating gives me. I knit when I am happy, when I am sad, when I am hungry, when I am stressed -- whenever. It's the best!

I do wash my hands before I knit, and I put up with the cat's hair in my knitting because at least she isn't chasing after my yarn or needles. I usually have a glass of something on the table nearby, far enough away from the yarn to be safe. I had a laptop crisis when the dear cat bumped my coffee cup one morning, so never again!

Jane

My (non-knitting) photo album:
http://jane.c.home.mindspring.com/
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  6:32:07 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
>I worry that a family member will be stabbed by rouge pointy instrument, if I don't find them after the first search.<

I love that fear. It is what keeps my grandkids out of my recliner.........LOL

fran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by