Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Snacking while knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  7:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I always set the knitting aside when eating, then clean my hands really well before picking it up again. That doesn't always help, though; I had a piece of fried shrimp fall out of my "po boy", bounce off my lap, and land right in my knitting bag! As I was searching for it (I never did find it, although the dog did later) I was muttering to myself about it falling in. My husband said, "Here's a steak fry to keep it company" and dropped a big, greasy steak fry *right on top of my project!!* I was furious at the time, but have calmed down considerably. Who knows, someday I may even find it humorous :-)

--Susan T-O

There, but for the grace of God, goes me. Oh, @%*#)&, it IS me!!
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  9:54:33 PM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
Wow!! Eating and knitting at the same time! Who'd have ever thought it could happen? This is the same sort of momentous concept as knitting during the day. I didn't know you could even do that!!! I've got a friend who knits in bed! That's another mind bender for me!

I'll give it a shot and let you know whether it works for me. My guess is that I'll have to get up to wash my hands too much and won't make this a new habit but, wow, what if I did!?

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  10:36:00 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
Pretty similar to others - the knitting stops me from snacking in front of the tv but I still have my drinks - tea, coffee during the day and wine at night whilst knitting. I keep my drink on a side table next to the couch on the right hand side and leave my knitting on the couch on the left hand side so the 2 never meet - in theory.

Well it's worked so far - the only accident that has happened to my work was when my, then, 12 month old baby sat in my lap just before going in the pool (he had swimmers on, not a nappy) and he then proceeded to christen by weeing all over his new pure wool cardigan I was knitting for him. Lucky wool is so water-repellant - therefore it went all over me Still - there are worse things babies can do .....

Diana
Go to Top of Page

artsyfish

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  06:43:37 AM  Show Profile Send artsyfish a Private Message
I picked up knitting again because I joined Weight Watchers - I'm so glad I did! I had no idea I would enjoy it so much (the knitting!!!!). So I don't snack, but I do have light colored drinks on the table next to me. Cat hairs get knitted into my sweaters too. I just can't bear to move the sweeties once they are curled up.
Go to Top of Page

saluthia@nps-vip.net

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  09:47:26 AM  Show Profile Send saluthia@nps-vip.net a Private Message
I try not to snack when I knit. After all, knitting is one of the best solutions for keeping your hands busy! Sometimes I play a little mind game if I want a snack. I tell myself I have to knit at least two more rows (or someother amount) before I can eat anything and then I do again and usually by the time I am done, the urge has past. I always have a drink handy by but not too close in case of accidents.

Sal
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  12:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I just have someone spoon feed me. LOL Kidding!

Dee
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  3:06:53 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Oh Dee, I can picture you reclining, while one male is feeding you grapes and another is fanning you. What a life!

Debra
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  9:37:10 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
Say "Hey" to one more who substitutes knitting for snacking. Haven't lost much weight yet, but at least it keeps me from gaining. I have absolutely no self control when "on a diet". The best strategy for me is just to remain busy and thinking about other things. Any creative activity works well. Knitting keeps me happily occupied away from the kitchen, especially in the evening, when my food cravings are at their worst.
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
What if a timer was set, and every 20 minutes, we got up and did a few squats or walked around the house 5 times? Just some type of scheduled, short, physical activity every 20 minutes? Combine that with keeping the hands busy and not snacking. Just the Certified Personal Trainer coming out in me. Feel free to ignore

Teresa
Knitting and More
http://journals.aol.com/knit2relax/KnittingandMore/
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  06:08:50 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
No food for me while I knit. I do drink chai during the day and herbal tea or wine at night when knitting. My cats aren't allowed to sleep on my chair seat, though they're allowed on the arm and back. When I'm done knitting, I put a few tote bags up. I got tired of leaving for school with my backside covered in cat fur and now I do it out of habit.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  08:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
Sounds good, Teresa! Also- let's focus our eyes far away and then close to stretch them, too. Now if I could only run while I'm knitting
Go to Top of Page

jj1150
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  4:59:15 PM  Show Profile Send jj1150 a Private Message
Guess I'm lucky, while I do not eat when I knit, I almost always have a Coke handy (hubby works there). And it has be be Classic Coke (not Diet) ... even tho, like a few of the others, I am trying to shed a few pounds. So knitting does help keep the hands busy ... instead of snacking on wonderful things like ... chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate (you get the idea!!).

Sandy -- I love that scarf you are making ... have never heard of a Seaman's scarf ... may make one for each of my sons (I have two) ... it sure looks like something a young man would wear.

I too, if I cannot sleep, get up and do the hot chocolate "thing" ... only I do not knit, I give myself an hour on the computer and then back to bed ... have to be up at 7 a.m. for work. It's surprising how the cocoa helps you get back to sleep.

Again, thanks for posting the scarf pattern ... am finishing up my second sock to my first pair tonight ... will be thinking about what yarn to get for that scarf for my sons.

jody
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  5:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
I don't eat while knitting- do drink though, ah- hot cocoa and Irish Breakfast Tea......ummmm.
I do however, love to snack while reading! But as I'm growing still and always hungry, it doesn't hurt me (read- I am 'orribly skinny!)

S. Eliz.
 Save the earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!
Keep on knitting on!
http://knitonespintoo.blog-city.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/folkvestknitting/
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  5:44:25 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Well, Im working hard on not snacking and eating. I would eat and drink a little, move it out of the way then knit!! Now I try to stick to just a water that is out of reach of my knitting. I know that even this is dangerous. Go Vicky Go, I know you can quit smoking. Down to half a pack that's great!!!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

Lyndall
Warming Up

66 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  08:23:21 AM  Show Profile Send Lyndall a Private Message
M. Shawn - What do you mean that knitting during the day is "something you didn't know could be done"? To me, knitting can be done any time of the day or night. Please explain. Thanks.

Lyndall
Go to Top of Page

nmarshall
Warming Up

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  2:40:17 PM  Show Profile Send nmarshall a Private Message
Hey Y'all,
You know those hard hats with can holders roosting on each side and long flex strawsdescending mouthward (I'm sure we'll see several at the Superbowl)? A new knitter's must have!
No snacks for me - hadn't thought about it but maybe knitting does have something to do with my clothes getting a tad baggy - but I do go for wine while I knit (and listen to Rumpole or Brother Cadfael or Amelia Peabody on tape). My concession to fiber safety is no wine glasses, only low hard-to-tip tumblers.
I was disappointed, with all us cat loving knitters, not one magic cat fur reduction tip. My cat prefers to leave the knitting alone while worming his way between me and the back of the chair.
Bless all you thoughtful for washing your hands. I'm such a slob!
-Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Nubian knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  3:21:44 PM  Show Profile Send Nubian knitter a Private Message
Generally I try not to snack and knit. I don't knit for meself (yet) almost all of what I do is for someone else, so I can't afford to soil it and risk my knitting reputation.

Sheila
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  3:29:58 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
Years ago I learned by experience that that yellow dye #37 powder on Cheetos and white alpaca are not compatible.

Since then, I keep my knitting and snacking separate - if I want a snack, I put project away until all the food is gone. I also find knitting keeps my snacking down - and that is a good thing!

I do sometimes sip red wine while knitting - definitely a potential for disaster there but nothing has happened - yet...

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?