Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Semi-OT: Crocheting in Restricted Areas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  09:46:57 AM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
I know this is a knitting forum, but I know a lot of us crochet, too. Reading about the jury duty and airlines I wondered--can you take crochet hooks in those places? Obviously, you can't do anything more with a crochet hook than a pen, but like people are really using knitting needles to stab folks either, and that logic does not seem to hold water with these people.

Plus, I've noticed a lot of people can't tell the difference between knitting needles and crochet hooks. Like on ebay, how many times have you seen an ad for 'crochet needles'. Hello? Does it LOOK like a needle? But it would be just my luck that the guy running the x-ray machine wouldn't care--it's something to do with yarn, therefore it's a knitting needle, and knitting needles are not allowed, so in the bin it goes, thank-you-very-much-ma'am.

Does anyone have experience getting crochet hooks through security? Not that I'm going anywhere anytime soon but I figure that it will be good to have the info if I do. I'd hate to lose my hooks. I do have a bunch of acrylic ones--would they even show up on the X-Ray?

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  09:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
acrylic hooks would not show up, I think. Bamboo would probably be even more "invisible" (Susan Bates makes bamboo hooks, I think...I know because I have some, I think they are Susan Bates).

I think the larger problem would be if an officious sort saw you crocheting in the "security zone" and decided that that was a no-no. Or if your bag got picked for the "thorough search".

Although I agree security is important, I think some of the security checkers are overly fond of the power they have, or they are following guidelines to the letter out of fear of letting any "contraband" through.

I don't know, though. I would think a person really determined to be a threat could make a weapon out of just about anything: a pendant on a cord? The cord could be a garrotte. A really sharp pencil could be more dangerous than a blunt knitting needle. Heck, there are some folk who joke about there being 36 ways to kill a person with their bare hands...

I think the solution is, get some inexpensive bamboo or plastic hooks (there are non-acrylic plastic ones that are reeeeeaaal cheap) and be willing to surrender them if some over-officious official decides you look like a threat.

to be quite honest, I suspect the only time 99.9% of knitters would use their needles as weapons would be if there were a hijack attempt on the plane. (I can see the headline: "Suspected terrorist brought down by needle-wielding crafters" Boy darn. Then they'd either ENCOURAGE knitting needles be brought on, or more likely, ban them 100%)
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  10:44:57 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
LOL-- fillyjonk you made me laugh-- I got this image of several mild-manner, *non*-football player types of men and women moving up to the front of the plane, holding the needles up high-- of course, in my imagination they are 14" metal ones! :) Too funny. Although you're right-- then they probably *would* be banned... sad for us! ;P

m
Go to Top of Page

Grey
Chatty Knitter

160 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  11:01:11 AM  Show Profile Send Grey a Private Message
FWIW I travelled over the holidays with a large wooden crochet hook, and no one batted an eyelash. Even the trooper who was walking through the nearly empty departure lounge didn't blink as I sat there working on my project.

Understanding is a three-edged sword
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  12:38:49 PM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
Can you imagine the hijacker standing up, pointing that scary sharp knitting needle or crochet hook at everyone and shouting "Nobody move or I'll start stabbing!" Yeah, that'll work.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  7:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Goes to show what frame of mind I'm in right now--at first I read the topic line as "semi-sweet chocolate." Must be time for dinner. . .

==Susan T-O

There, but for the grace of God, goes me. Oh, @%*#)&, it IS me!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe