Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 800 to 1200 Yards
 If you had....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  12:09:03 PM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message
I have oodles of old (now discontinued) Brunswick Windrush Acrylic Yarn in various colors. Two of this color, 5 of another, 3 of another and on and on. Now if you talented ladies had a stash of that yarn, what would you do with it? You'll probably say afghan, but I don't love doing afghans that much - have done many. With all the new schnazzy yarns nowadays, this one is certainly not the top of one's list to knit with, BUT frugal Sue here, wants to use it! Maybe doll clothes or teddy bear sweaters for my granddaughters? All suggestions welcome and will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sue

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  12:39:30 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Hat and scarves for the kids? Throw rugs? Sweaters for the grandkids? What ever you want to knit!!! Is this a soft acrylic?

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  12:41:30 PM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
First I would make sweaters for my nieces.

Then I'd make new sweaters for all the family's dogs and stash them away until next Christmas.

Then I'd make some mittens or slippers or hats and put them on my church's mitten tree next Christmas. (I believe in getting things done early!)

If I had any left or any oddball skeins that didn't fit into my scheme, I'd donate it to a local school that has a knitting club (obviously not everyone's district may have this, but that's what I'd do).

Just my suggestions. I've never had a stash in my life and so the ideas for me are endless!
Go to Top of Page

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  12:56:11 PM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message
Vicky,
It says Wintuk - Orlon - Acrylic on it. It's not so-so-so soft, but reasonably soft. Thanks for responses so far - Knittykat and Vicky. I just bought "Knits for Babies and Toddlers" by Fiona McTague the other day. Guess I can convert the "upscale" yarns called for in her book into this Windrush stuff. Must think out of the box, right? I can DO it!

Sue
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  1:00:06 PM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
Of course you can convert upscale yarns to 'budget friendly' yarns! I do it all the time! Especially for kids, I would never spend a lot of money on yarn for something they were just going to outgrow, unless it was like an heirloom blanket or something. For sweaters--hardwearing is better in my book!

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  1:01:02 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I'd make matching sweaters for my daughter and her Teddy. The Winter Family Circle has some great ideas.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
Oh, I love that idea, Debra! I'm going to file that idea away for my 4yo niece. I gave her a sweater and a teddy in a sweater for Christmas...but didn't think of that idea....duh!

Go to Top of Page

harvling
New Pal

38 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  1:41:17 PM  Show Profile Send harvling a Private Message
Another option: perhaps the local senior citizen center or nursing home would appreciate a donation.
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  3:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
I'd make a sweater out of different squares of yarn sort of like a patchwork. I just bought a pattern for this sort of patchwork sweater at a LYS, to use up all my odds and ends, and little bits of handspun I've done that are too small for anything else ...

Jen

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
Yarns and Fibers: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  3:22:49 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
I use my odds and ends of acrylics to make blankets for critters at the SPCA - see my post on knitting for charities for more and a pattern. At our local shelter, they have been piecing together old sheets and whatever else they can find for the puppies to sleep on, and it has been awfully cold around here lately...

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  4:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Why not use it to teach your grandkids to knit (assuming they are not infants)?
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  4:30:55 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
I have literally been giving my stash away. It really is getting down. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  6:41:11 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
When I made my niece her felted teddy bear last spring I made her and the bear matching sweaters. She thought it was great (she was 3 at the time, is now 4), actually CRIED when her daddy (my brother) made her take it off to go to dinner - it was too warm for a sweater but she didn't care. She did the same thing with her felted mittens last Christmas! Definitely go for matching sweaters!

karen
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  11:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
What about doing something in we squares using the technique of domino knitting? I think you cna design anything you want with this small square.
Jurate
Go to Top of Page

careynev
Chatty Knitter

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  08:23:12 AM  Show Profile Send careynev a Private Message
There's a technique in Sally Melville's Style book that will help--the whole book is about using small amounts of yarn to create incredibly interesting items. You "just" need to have a background yarn that will be enough to tie the rest of the small bits together. Take a look and see, it's pretty cool.

Judy, the Nerdy Knitter
Go to Top of Page

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  06:12:24 AM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message
Judy,
Thanks for the tip. I'll peek into that book at my LYS to see if I want to purchase.

Sue, from upstate NY
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  06:50:02 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Sue, just don't mix wools and acrylics, they need different washing techniques. If my memory serves me correctly that yarn should be machine washed and dried. Most acrylics stretch out when washed and go back into shape when dried. If the colors go well together you can make anything in stripes, either horizontal or vertical. Or how about stuffed animals and dolls?

fran
Go to Top of Page

pfaught@frontiernet.net

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  11:55:44 PM  Show Profile Send pfaught@frontiernet.net a Private Message
Hi, I am new to this forum. I use stash yarn to knit preemie hats and baby wash cloths (if it is soft enough or suitable for babies) and give to the hospitals. Of course with Acrylic Yarn, you can also make washcloths for your own use. Acrylic yarn would be great for removing dry skin cells on face or body.
Go to Top of Page

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  05:20:46 AM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message
Thanks, pfaught and all others,
Great ideas. Hmmmmm. frontiernet.net.......are you, pfaught, from the Rochester area?

Sue, from upstate NY
Go to Top of Page

pfaught@frontiernet.net

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  9:32:23 PM  Show Profile Send pfaught@frontiernet.net a Private Message
No, gonzs
I am in Arizona for a year. Even though we do not get any snow here compared to upstate NY, I take my knitting where ever we are at the time.
Go to Top of Page

pfaught@frontiernet.net

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  9:37:21 PM  Show Profile Send pfaught@frontiernet.net a Private Message
Gonzs, to be totally honest, I would love to be in upstate NY. It is so dry here. I would love to have humidity in the air (at least more than 5%) :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe