Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 Lost in Translation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  8:28:38 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Just saw the film last week. There is a totally gratuitous knitting reference--unrelated to plot and not really contributing to character development. Maybe it is just in there to make knitting look cool.

Anyway, here it is: Female lead (Scarlet Johannsen (sp?)) holds up WIP (still on wooden needles; it is a blue scarf) and asks boyfriend if he thinks it is done yet. No decision seems to be made (which is sort of part of the storyline and the characterization...).

No other knitting references follow, though the actress wears a different scarf later on and also a rather unflattering grey knit vest.

Hmmm...

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  3:47:30 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, I've heard a lot of positive press about it. It's on video now so maybe this weekend I'll get to watch it and hopefully do a little knitting too! Sue
Go to Top of Page

hfnuala
New Pal

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  09:56:19 AM  Show Profile Send hfnuala a Private Message
Unfortunately I don't think it's meant to make knitting look cool. I suspect it's meant to imply she's really got nothing to do and that's why she's knitting.

It did look pretty though.
Go to Top of Page

Jenny
Permanent Resident

1613 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  10:01:12 AM  Show Profile Send Jenny a Private Message
I agree with hfnuala - it was gratuitous knitting. She obviously wasn't a committed knitter. If she had been, she would have been knitting on the train, in the lobby, shopping for yarn, etc. The movie is good though - my daughter, the electronic media major - was totally and completely impressed with the colors and the way it was filmed.
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  12:54:22 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I just loved this movie. It lingered with me for days afterward and I will probably buy the DVD. I can't really say why. As Vicky notes, the plot is thin to nonexistent. Sofia Coppola, the writer/director does not dispute that. Yet, for some reason I was hooked throughout and moved by it. And I laughed out loud several times, though picking on the Japanese is quite cliche.

On another thread, someone put forth a good idea about the knitting scene. That is was to show her experimenting with meditative things like going to the temples and such... but at a place in her life where she wasn't really into anything.

Anyway, I think it's worth the risk to rent it and give it a try...

PattiG
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  08:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I found the movie incredibly moving. It's true that not much happens, but I think a lot of us relate to that feeling of dislocation and uncertainty that both characters are going through. The acting is amazing - so unusual to see both leads *be there* and not over dramatize, emote, showboat, etc.

There is a scene early in the movie when she is lying on the bed and you can see the scarf on the needles, about 20 minutes before the scene when she shows it to her husband. I don't think it's "gratuitous knitting" at all, more as PattiG is saying, that in her depression she is trying lots of things and nothing is helping.

I will say this movie is not a "feel good" one, and if you are already bummed out you might want to wait to see it until you are in a cheerier place. Both my husband and I spent a mopey few hours after seeing it. That said, I think it is one of the best movies I've seen in years.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  08:48:29 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Like Luann and PattiG and Jenny, I liked this film as well! It is NOT light enterntainment; rather, it is the kind of film that you think about for many days afterwards. The acting is amazing, as is the filming itself. Having lived in Japan as a young single woman, I could completely understand the feelings of isolation and dislocation which I felt early on in my two-year stay. However, I was a bit uncomfortable with the somewhat patronizing portayal of the Japanese chracters.

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  09:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I am still thinking about Lost in Translation, days after seeing it. It is so moving, so quiet. I am really tired of movies where thinking is not required, where dialogue and action are all there is! The knitting scene expressed the character's situation perfectly, in my opinion. Who knew that Bill Murray could say so much with so few words?

Jane
-- on the end of
Long Island, New York

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  08:14:31 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
To me, this movie's theme was about people not connecting with others and feeling isolated. So when Scarlett Johannson's character asks her husband if he thinks her scarf is finished, he does the predictable male thing; he kind of shrugs his shoulders and says he doesn't know/care. Using Japan as a backdrop to show people "lost in translation" is a metaphor because not only do people not understand each other when they speak different languages but they don't understand each other when they speak the same language as well! Bob Harris and Scarlett(forgot the character's name) understand each other but of course they can't have each other. I was really looking forward to seeing this movie but afterwards couldn't understand the fuss this movie was generating. I thought it was very over-rated. Sue
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  06:15:46 AM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
I'm a little late on this thread, but I LOVED this movie. As the other who liked it mentioned, it is a quiet, thought provoking movie. It was funny, because halfway through the movie, I was thinking to myself that when I walk out of the theater, I am going to hear tons of people grumbling about how boring and bad the movie was, because it is not a cookie cutter movie. To me, that's a good sign, because I'll want to slit my wrists before thinking that what is usually playing at the local cineplex is anything other than complete junk. It's deep and very poignant. I, too, kept thinking about this movie days and weeks after seeing it. I still do.

oh....and the knitting scene. I thought it was appropriate, too. As for her not being a "serious" knitter...well, I could relate to that, because until just a while ago, I picked up knitting over and over again and never had the motivation to follow through. Now, at 38, it finally has clicked with me and I am finally making a commitment to myself to learn to knit properly after all these years.
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  9:59:33 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
I loved this movie too. I actually rented it because I had heard about it here when it was out in the theatre. I agree about the assessment of the character trying out different things (ikebana, meditation, knitting) in her quest for happiness. I loved it because it was a "real" love story.... I mean, in real life you hopefully find a person you love that you can be happy with, but there are a lot of situations where for one reason or another things don't work out. It was a beautiful fun movie, and I especially liked the use of the My Bloody Valentine song (I loved that band in the 90's.)

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

Capucine45
Warming Up

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  9:27:10 PM  Show Profile Send Capucine45 a Private Message
The merits of the movie notwithstanding, did anyone recognize the pattern for the scarf? I was going to go back to that scene and zoom in to try to figure it out, but a friend had rented the movie and took it away with him before I had the chance. Grr. I really loved the way it looked!

*Heather
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  06:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I find it odd that Sue (happyneedles) said she didn't like the movie - not because she doesn't have a right to not like it, but that her description was so dead on to my interpretation, I think she completely "got" the film in the same way that I did, and I really enjoyed it!

So often movies now spend so much time on special effects, the characters are just there to get you from one boom to the next. This was such a quiet, contemplative film (am I the only person who differentiates between "movie" and "film" on an artistic level?) that I really thought it was beautiful!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  4:35:55 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I'm with Vicky -BORING!! Teen angst movies don't do it for me especially Bill Murray as the character with the angst!
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  09:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
I just saw the movie this weekend and totally "got" it. I didn't think it was boring. I felt that it was a comment on our life and times. As one person said it is about not being able to communicate both with people of another culture and language as well as people in your own culture and language (all those scenes with the totally bubbly actress? come on!) I also thought it was a commentary on how we live our lives. Very few people connect anymore. Watching a movie about 2 people connecting while the world spins around them made sense to me. While scarlett johannson trys to find other ways to connect she learns alot about ehrself: knitting, meditating, etc. I think people who have travelled to another place, perhaps one with a different language and or culture, will "get" this film more than a casual watcher. You definitely need to be in the right frame of mind.

My mother often do not agree on films. She doesn't like the ones I generally like because they are boring to her. I told her they are too much like real life and she doesn't like to watch real life. (she has always argued with me about films that she says aren't "real" when they depict life more acurrately than she could imagine.. my mother enjoys being sheltered) This is one film she saw before I did and bought the DVD for me while we were on vacation this week. I am so glad we both liked it.

My mother made me a homosexual. And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://www.livejournal.com/users/purlewe/
Go to Top of Page

momknits
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  5:07:04 PM  Show Profile Send momknits a Private Message
My husband and I really liked this movie. We just rented it a couple of nights ago. I think because we missed it in the theatre we knew just enough about it to not have great expectations. We both love and appreciate Bill Murray, that, paired with his nominations was enough to make us want to see it. It met all of my needs and so many movies just don't come close. I really "felt" things when I watched it. Purlewe, I'm wondering about the age difference between you and your mother. There were definately two different ends of the spectrum coming together and meeting in a similar place. Maybe that's why you both saw merit in it. Cheryl P.S. Scarlett may have knit, but there was no way she was a knitter. All that time on her hands and so little to show for it. Alas
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  5:36:23 PM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I really loved this film. I agree that it is a very real depiction of people who really seem to have nothing in common "connecting."

The film reminded me of my earlier life (I'm 38 now) when I got engaged to a man that was "perfect" to everyone around me. Just prior to getting engaged to this man, I was seeing a man 20 years my senior that I totally connected with in every way. The problem was that I was too afraid to go against what seemed to be right and take a chance on something that may have been unorthodox, but really would have been so much better for me. I ended up following through on the engagement, having three wonderful children and getting divorced when the children were very young. I am now remarried to a man that I do "connect" with and everything is great, but the funny thing is that I still am friends with the man who is 20 years my senior and I still wonder what would have been if I just would have been brave enough to follow my heart.

So....this movie was very poignant to me and I really enjoyed seeing something other than the usual fluff that is out there.

Jeannine
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  08:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
cheryl-

my mom is at a stage in her life where nothing connects. She lost my father a year ago at a very young age. (my mom is now 54, he died when he was 54) and so she has all of these feelings of beeing lost and no one understanding her. The person who "connected" with her is gone and we are all truly heartbroken over it. I was glad she was touched by this movie because she so often rails about what is wrong with EXACTLY this type of movie. I have travelled the world trying to get away from my home town where I knew I did not "fit" Sometimes I connected with people on my travels, sometimes I didn't. But I always seem to carry that outside perspective. That one where you see yourself and say "this is who I am and this is what I am doing" And sometimes, that hug at the end is the only thing that saves you from losing yourself. So yes, I guess my mom and I finally have a point of view in common (which is in itself a wild imagining.)

And for anyone who rents the DVD there is a scene that copploa cut out I felt was very important. It was a scene where scarlett walks into a japanese shop that sells companion robots. they glide up to her, scan her and walk away as if she doesn't register. I thought this was a good indication of how she felt didn't fit in.

My mother made me a homosexual. And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://www.livejournal.com/users/purlewe/
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  3:58:24 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Responding to Rosebyany, even though I understood what the movie was saying, I thought the theme was rather simplistic and didn't have enough substance for an enire movie. For me there just wasn't enough there and it turned into an "art" film that was dull. Sue

Knitting is a gift you give to yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  5:54:22 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
I so VERY MUCH agree with Jane's (JCC28) opinion about the movie and especially Bill Murray. I am SO tired of loud, obnoxious movies, and this was a very welcome change, and a big surprise with Bill Murray. Finally, a movie that is perfect for Bill -- funny, but he can still show some dramatic skill.

The thing I really loved about this movie was how it ended. That sweet hug between Bill and Scarlett, where he whispered something in her ear that was just between the two of them (even the audience wasn't privy to this information) was a thing of beauty. How old-fashioned, how romantic, how unique in this world of sex, drugs and rock n roll. How wonderful it was to witness the developing of a relationship between two people that involved genuine love and appreciation, and NO SEX! I kept waiting for the two of them to fall into bed together, and it never happened, and somehow, it just made those two people so likeable. It REALLY made me like the director. Someone who was willing to make a completely different movie that so many of us, whether we liked it or not, spent the next few days contemplating. Please, make some more like this!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  10:28:53 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
Anybody see Sofia Coppola's film school project? Stars was maybe the name. That was about people fitting together too, although a completely different take.

happiness is highly underrated
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.