Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Fair Isle Knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

reldybg@aol.com

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  2:41:53 PM  Show Profile Send reldybg@aol.com a Private Message
Oh, now I know what else I forgot. On my last reading of instructions in Fairisle , there it was in the very first line: "True fairisle knitting is always done in the round, but the term is commonly used to refer to any stranded color change technique". I don't know what "in the round" means, either. So, time for more reading of posts & practicing.
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  8:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
"In the round" means knit circularly--a tube, in one long spiral--rather than back and forth in flat pieces that get sewn together.

Deb in NJ
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  8:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
My very first sweater was an Icelandic, Lopi pattern and I ADORED the color-patterns. So much so that it's only now, years later, that I'm trying my first cabled sweater. I love color-stranding. I do it two-handed--one color in my right, one in my left--and encourage everyone who hasn't to at least give that a try. (I would like to learn to hold both colors in my left hand, though, if only for the sake of one more "skill" to add to my list!)

Deb in NJ
Go to Top of Page

Ilonka
Chatty Knitter

141 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  08:59:15 AM  Show Profile Send Ilonka a Private Message
Hi, I am quite new on this site, what an experience. Fair Isle, I can master but intarsia, needs some research. I tried to make the pullover in INKnitters/summer 2003 and managed the border (Fairisle) but not the flowers (Intarsia). I do agree that most of the books mentioned by Bess are just wonderful. Have many of Alice Starmore's Books. "TUDOR ROSES" ist amazing and my dream is to make at least one garment from there

Helene M. Diener
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  5:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
"The Art of Fair Isle Knitting" (I can't remember the author but it's new from Interweave Press) is wonderful in terms of making up your own patterns and has some you can just knit from the book. The drawback is, it covers color theory and now I'm totally intimidated and have resorted to ripping off color schemes from famous paintings and buildings (which is also a pretty good method). At the moment I'm slowly putting together a fair-isle type sweater based on tile designs on the walls of the Blue Mosque of Istanbul. In between knitting on the zillion other projects I've got going.

"Traditional Fair Isle Knitting" by Sheila MacGregor is also available right now and it's impressive in terms of the history. If you're like me and want to know what's ALREADY been done, it's a cool place to start. The entire second half of the book is charted patterns. This is sort of the replacement for the Alice Starmore Fair Isle book that's out of print. (And the used book prices I've found on it are obscene.)

For technique stuff, I'm still a major fan of Elizabeth Zimmermann and Meg Swanson. I just got "Sweaters From Camp" (a tax return indulgence) and it's ALL fair-isle sweaters... I want to knit at least half the ones shown in the book.

I knit Continental style, and when stranding color I carry one color between index and middle finger, and another color between middle and ring finger. Slightly weird, but it works for me.

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  12:44:05 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
What's wrong with ripping off other people's color schemes? Great designers do it all the time.
I'd like to see the blue tiles design. sounds great!

happiness is highly underrated
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  2:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
I'll make sure to post a picture of the original building and the sweater I'm doing, when it's done. This project is a little over the top, even for me. But I saw this picture, and it's columns of tile. I flipped it sideways and went "Yup. Fair Isle. Gotta do it." I'm at the charting phase - coming up with peeries and OXO patterns from the photo. So it'll be a while before the thing is knit.

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  5:08:38 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
I've finished knitting the body and have cut the first armhole steek on my Fair Isle. What I've learned so far: Alice Starmore's patterns are exceptionally clear and easy to follow. I'm making Donegal from the Celtic Collection (still in print; I got my copy from overstock.com). Placing a stitch marker every two pattern repeats helps enormously to reduce frogging. Weaving in the float worked fine on the Philosopher's Wool sweater, but not on this one. Unless the float is more than 10 stitches, it was better to just let it float. And using Shetland wool and just cutting the steek is a lot easier than machine-sewing it first.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?