Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Anyone make the pants yet from IK?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

katywhumpus@gmail.com

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  1:19:04 PM  Show Profile Send katywhumpus@gmail.com a Private Message
I'm really tempted to try the pants in the new IK, but I'm afraid the Homespun wont hold up well and the butt will just sag and sag.

Anyone made them yet?

Katy

addicted2yarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  1:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit addicted2yarn's Homepage Send addicted2yarn a Private Message
Check out the No Sweat Pants Knitalong at http://alison.knitsmiths.us/
I just went out and bought my Homespun last night. I got the blackj and white color. I figure at 4 skeins for around $4.50 each I can't really go wrong even if the pants don't turn out fabulous.

(And by the way, WHY does Lion Brand call this yarn HOMESPUN when it is the most obviously synthetic, machine-made yarn I've ever seen in my life?????)

-Ellen
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  1:38:39 PM  Show Profile Send GreysMom a Private Message
I'm thinking about making the pants too, but I want to do the legs in the round, rather than knit them flat as the pattern calls for. It doesn't seem like it will be difficult to adjust the pattern for circular knitting.

As for Homespun, I've used it for an afghan that was a miserable failure, but that may have had more to do with my knitting than the yarn. I will say that the yarn does seem to lose its shape quite easily and I didn't care for it much, but it is very soft and does knit up quickly due to its bulkiness. If I can find my leftover skeins this weekend, I think I'm going to cast on for those pants.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  2:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
You have the thighs for knit pants?? I think I may hate you.

Good luck. Let us know if there's a picture when you finish!
Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  4:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I didn't realize those pants were made with Homespun! I would not do that, 'cause I don't like that yarn. Other than that, I would have to make those pants a bit bigger...at least add to the waist, but pants made from Homespun???

Barb
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  4:40:11 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I loved the pants, but I'd never make them in Homespun. That's the worst yarn I've ever used. What could you substitute it with?

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

letti
Chatty Knitter

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  4:45:26 PM  Show Profile Send letti a Private Message
Want to try those pants myself, but did not realise that they were made with homespun, I was thinking cotton or cotton blend. I can just see myself in those pants.

Letti

"Anybody is liable to fall off a tightrope in any land, I thought, and God help you if you fall the wrong way."
Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  6:04:31 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
I'm doing an afghan in Homespun. No stretch! problems with tendonitis if I don't stop and stretch my hands often. It's pretty, but I sure wouldn't make clothes out of it.

happiness is highly underrated
Go to Top of Page

agnesgooch
Gabber Extraordinaire

573 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  6:09:08 PM  Show Profile Send agnesgooch a Private Message
I bought some Homespun about 3 years ago and started a hat with it. It is very pretty, but I don't like the feel of it. The hat is still unfinished and on the needles. For me to take that long to make a hat is very unusual. I can't imagine pants made out of that stuff.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  6:10:33 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I was thinking of holding a couple strands of cotton together, something like Kitchen Cotton or Cotton Ease (both Lion Brand yarns, though more fun to work with than Homespun)...

PattiG
Atlanta
Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  9:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
I like Homespun in limited circumstances--I've used it held together with other yarns for super-chunky scarves--but not for the pants. Though they do look comfy. But I wouldn't go to the trouble of knitting them, because I doubt they'd look good enough on me to wear outside the house, and I already have plenty of house-only pants!

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

"Talk is cheap, but lies are expensive/ my wallet's fat, and so is my head" --Green Day, Walking Contradiction
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  04:24:41 AM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Try Fixation, maybe double stranded, by Cascade -- cotton with a smidge of Lycra...
Carol
Go to Top of Page

addicted2yarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  06:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit addicted2yarn's Homepage Send addicted2yarn a Private Message
Oooh, Carol. I just love Fixation - that's a good idea! But double (or possibly triple stranded because Fixation isn't that bulky) is out of my budget range.

I think the issue with the small sizing is that Homespun does stretch a little and that if the pants weren't made a bit snug to begin with they would get baggy and holey and that would look really gross.

I honestly do not like Homespun myself but I am willing to give it a try for this project due to the affordability of the yarn and the novelty of the project. But I was honestly really surprised to see a project in IK made with a Lion Brand yarn!

-Ellen
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  08:33:55 AM  Show Profile Send GreysMom a Private Message
Good morning all!

Well, I wish I knew how to add a link to this post because I found a blog this morning from a lovely gal who has finished the pants and posted pictures of same. It's the blog of the "keyboard biologist". I linked to it from another blog. Sorry I can't remember the link offhand, but if you google search the keyboard biologist, you should be able to find it.

Let me know if you can't locate it and I'll try to get there again and copy the link.

As for the pants, they really don't look that bad, not nearly what I expected them to look like considering the yarn they are made from. I might actually have found a project for that bag of Homespun being punished in the corner of my closet! bad yarn! bad yarn! sorry, I was just very angry with it after the afghan debacle.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  09:37:16 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
I don't like the synthetic yarns either, but find that a little wooly nylon carry-along will help keep the shape of anything form-fitting, whether sock or pants or ?. And the price is right, and it doesn't alter the gauge at all.
I think Fixation would be gorgeous too, but can understand the price problem. Maybe a strand of Fixation and a strand of something else?

AJ
Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  09:41:46 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
www.onefineyarn.com has bags of Cascade Fixation on sale, I think. I should probably have gone and looked before I wrote, but I'll go there now.

AJ
Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  09:49:20 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
Yes, it is, under Bargain Corner. I would buy some but I'm on no new yarn for one month, and already fell off the wagon Wednesday and had to start over.

AJ
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1924 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
The keyboard biologist address is here: http://www.keyboardbiologist.net/knitblog/

and now a thought.. I've been (gulp. i'll just say it!) LUSTING after the manos cotton. would this be a pattern for that kind of yarn? I think perhaps.

purlewe (who is not buying any yarn, not really. well maybe perhaps one ball to finish off that silly sweater that is one ball short)

My mother made me a homosexual. And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://www.livejournal.com/users/purlewe/
Go to Top of Page

katywhumpus@gmail.com

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  12:50:47 PM  Show Profile Send katywhumpus@gmail.com a Private Message
For those of you that mentioned using Fixation can you tell me how you're supposed to knit with it? I've started a sock with it, but can't figure out what tension I should be using.

Katy
Go to Top of Page

kristajo
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
436 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  4:19:53 PM  Show Profile Send kristajo a Private Message
Uh-oh! I wouldn't recommend using 100% cotton - especially at that gauge - because they will DEFINITELY sttttreetch in all the wrong places if the yarn doesn't have some spring to it.

And I am not a big fan of lycra blends, either. I've got a pair of jeans with a bit of lycra in them, and a shirt too. They're snug when you put them on in the morning but by the end of the day you need a belt to keep them on! Lycra stretches but it doesn't unstretch properly, in my experience.

Krista Jo
http://knitwit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  6:13:02 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Good point, Krista Jo. I did not fully think it through when I posted that. I was thinking cotton would be breathable. I'm close to concluding that knitting these pants, while a fun idea, is not so practical.

PattiG
Atlanta
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by