Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Anyone make the pants yet from IK?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  1:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
I've heard the suggestion of using something with nylon in it, to keep skirts/dresses from going 'butt sprung'. I'm sure it would apply to pants too. You could knit these in sock yarn if you had enough to triple it up. Ha ha.

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  4:19:47 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
The Manos cotton (stria) is very, very delicate. Even the label says something about how delicate it is. I don't think it'd be good for pants.
Carol
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  06:08:31 AM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
i don't care for homespun myself, it tends to worm. redheart(gasp!) makes a similar yarn, light and lofty, that holds together much better, and doesn't worm. however, i'm not so sure about pants in either one! sounds waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too heavy. i like them for jacket weight sweaters.
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein.
Go to Top of Page

Karen F
Sustaining Member

248 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  06:21:42 AM  Show Profile Send Karen F a Private Message
I think the whole idea for the pants is silly- But it did generate a lot of thought about Lion Brand and we know that is the point! Get us knitters to think about this yarn in a different light- Modern, fun, young & funky. I will never like it- whatever the spin on it!!
Go to Top of Page

FROGDANDY410
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  11:38:11 PM  Show Profile Send FROGDANDY410 a Private Message
those pants look real ugly, especially viewed from the backside...not wanting to upset anyone...but honestly...they look terribly sweaty and itchy too. i have seen a finished pair online on a real human (instead of a 100lbs 6'tall stick insect) and it 's not good. sorry, sorry, sorry.....
Go to Top of Page

kristajo
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
436 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  08:43:42 AM  Show Profile Send kristajo a Private Message
Well, they ARE thick sweat pants. I don't think there's really any way to make them look flattering. They're more the kind of thing to schlep around in. But I don't think it's worth it to spend all that time handknitting something you don't really want anybody else to see, when you could buy more comfortable sweatpants for less $.

I mean, I enjoy the process of knitting as much as the next girl, but so far we've established
-heavy
-wormy
-saggy
-thick
-pattern has ridiculously small sizing

etc.
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  09:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Hmmm...I was thinking the only way I'd make 'em is if my willowy DD wanted a pair, but the more I read, the less I'm inclined. I think I'll stick to sweaters!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babyprep
Chatty Knitter

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  7:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit babyprep's Homepage Send babyprep a Private Message
I'd have to agree... Maybe good for when going camping on a cool night to keep you warm... ;)

Teresa in Florida
teresahoover@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

nikitate
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  12:11:16 PM  Show Profile Send nikitate a Private Message
i'm knitting my pants from jaeger chamonix. i adapted the pattern to fit me, but surprisingly the guage really came out to be 4sts / inch even though it's WAY less bulky than homespun<<YUK YUK YUK

here's a pic:
http://knitnic.blogspot.com/

i probably wouldn't recommend chamonix because clumps of angora fly in you face and eyes and after spending nearly $200 i'm not sure how well the "falling apart" angora will wear. they feel super luxurious and will be fun for around the house though. if i had it to do again, i'd choose maybe rowan calmer or jo sharp silkroad ultra.

i HIGHLY recommend all knitters make these pants, though, just for bopping around the house in no matter what your size (shoot, just adapt the pattern). handknit pants!!! who could resist. i'm nearly finished with them.

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  12:48:00 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I'm just not into spending 100 hours to make pants for my seat cushion to stare at. I prefer to spend my knitting time to make things that I will actually use and enjoy. I have yet to find a yarn that looks good, breathes, and won't wear out in the butt and thigs after a few wearings.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2004 :  2:53:57 PM  Show Profile Send GreysMom a Private Message
Okay, I have to say that I made these pants, used the Homespun, and I LOVE THEM!!! I know, I know, it goes against everything that is wooly, but I can't help myself, I love them.

I made them a few months ago, just after the magazine came out. They went soooo fast! I finished them in 4 days. That's right, 4 days! And I wore them to our bi-weekly knit group and you should have seen the faces! It was priceless!

The pants are incredibly comfortable, not bad looking, and they knit up in a flash. I did them in round, made each leg, then joined all the stitches to finish up to the waist. It couldn't have been easier. I just walked around the house for hours and kept repeating to my DH and DS, "I made pants!"

This was a great pattern, a lot of fun, and how can you beat a project that uses up all that old Homespun?

Kim
Go to Top of Page

ImAKite
Warming Up

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  10:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit ImAKite's Homepage  Send ImAKite a Yahoo! Message Send ImAKite a Private Message
I made them when I got the magazine too. I love them! So warm and soft and ultra-comfortable for lounging around the house. I wore them camping last week too.

Here's a picture:

http://img74.photobucket.com/albums/v226/ImAKite/Knitting/nosweat_pants.jpg

Christina R.
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  1:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
Cute, cute, cute, Christina! I have seen pictures of quite a few girls wearing them, on their blogs, and they look really cozy and comfy for a cold winter day at home. Most everybody said what Kim did, they only took a few days to knit. If I didn't have such a long list of things I need/want to knit, I'd knit up a pair for next winter.

Teresa
California
Knitting and More
http://journals.aol.com/knit2relax/KnittingandMore/
Go to Top of Page

vizzyknits
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  10:42:06 AM  Show Profile Send vizzyknits a Private Message
If you're not sure about the Homespun, and would like to try an alternative, I may have a suggestion.

I've been wondering about knitting these pants myself, but not sure about what yarn to use until I started knitting a sample sweater out of Heirloom Breeze, from the Australian Yarn Company. This is a worsted weight yarn, and knits up at 5 stitches/inch on a size 7. I don't have my IK pattern in front of me, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to do some math to adjust the pattern to make it work, single-stranded, in this yarn.

The fiber content is 30% wool, 69.6% cotton, and .4% lycra. It's really soft and knits up quickly, producing a lightweight and stretchy fabric that would have a nice drape for these pants.
Go to Top of Page

xmasberry
Seriously Hooked

826 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  11:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit xmasberry's Homepage Send xmasberry a Private Message
i really want to make these pants and i think all the alternative fibers so far would be heavy, so i may try the lion homespun or something close. i think it has just got to be great to have knitted PANTS! i may wait until fall to start, however, as i will not be wearing them in 100 degree weather.

holly x
"The person who is saying it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it"
Go to Top of Page

addicted2yarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  5:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit addicted2yarn's Homepage Send addicted2yarn a Private Message
Well, I've been thinking about making these forever and I bought the yarn months ago... AND I finally strted them last night.I'll let you know how they turn out.

-Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Leanne
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
384 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  5:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leanne's Homepage Send Leanne a Private Message
I like the pant idea ...but reality check... my legs are the biggest part of my body ...and I wouldn't want to draw extra attention to them. ..so I'm afraid the pants are out for me. ...but for those who can what about hemp?

http://www.oknitting.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.