Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 I Seem To Have Stopped Knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  09:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I finished my last pair of socks two weeks ago and I have cast on nothing since. I have the incentive to knit & plenty of yarn just haven't started anything. I have been knitting furiously since last May (I have been knitting all my life, just a BIG resurgence the past 10 months) and I don't know what happened. Maybe I just can't decide what project to start - these are what I am considering: the giraffe blanket on the cover of VKTG Baby Blankets, or the Sam sweater in Mission Falls Wee Knits or the Star sweater in Mission Falls Wee Knits Too.
Is it Spring Fever?

knittiegirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  09:39:25 AM  Show Profile Send knittiegirl a Private Message
You know, this happened to me last summer. It was like I just needed a break. I picked it back up in late August/early September, but I actually had a drought from July. I even stopped buying the magazines, reading the forums, etc. I don't know why, but it was like my creative knitting juices said - "we need a break" I guess I had been going sort of gang busters for two years straight - just knitting, knitting, knitting.

It hasn't happened since - but I thought it was strange for me too. When I came back after my break, I was refreshed and relaxed. It ended up being a good thing for me.

Good luck!
K

Fall down seven times, get up eight.
http://khrystyn.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  09:53:14 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Just enjoy the change of scenery. When you feel motivated again you'll be going full throttle again.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  10:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I think everyone goes through cycles like this. I know that sometimes after knitting furiously for a few days I just can't even bare to look at my knitting bag for a few days. So don't worry about it too much! You'll probably come back to it with new eyes and a fresh spirit when you are ready!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  10:23:55 AM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
I wouldnt stress either. I started knitting out of the blue so I am sure that I could be inspired to take a break for no reason too. But if you have been going pretty hard for the better part of a year I imagine that you're ready to take a break. You'll knit again when you are ready.

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  10:30:14 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
This most certainly can happen. I have periods of time when I can't focus enough to knit. If I force the issue, I wind up frogging everything I've knit, so what's the point. Better to do something else and wait till the spirit moves me again than frog excessively.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  11:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Yup, I've been there too. Don't worry about it - your urge to knit will come back when it's ready. I did a piece on this a while ago if you're interested, about how to survive knitting slumps. If it's spring fever, you're lucky - that means spring has actually reached your area of the world! I'm jealous...

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

knittingnancy
Chatty Knitter

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  11:45:25 AM  Show Profile Send knittingnancy a Private Message
I literally just went through this a short while ago and I had also posted a topic here at KR. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me! My slump lasted for about a month and I'm slowly getting back into the swing of these again. I did notice that I came out of my slump around the same time I learned how to spin, so maybe I just had to have something new to re-inspire me?

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

LizzyDee
Chatty Knitter

243 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  12:18:52 PM  Show Profile Send LizzyDee a Private Message
I have been going through this as well. With me, it is not knowing what to do next because I have so many I want to do. So I started working on a cross stitch project, and it was just the break I needed. Now I am looking forward to starting a new knitting project.
Lizzydee
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  1:26:50 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I find that I get a knitting slump just when I have a lot of knitting to do. So, I clean out my stash and organize it and then sort out my knitting magazines and books. I've never gotten the whole job finished before I get inspired to start knitting again.

fran
Go to Top of Page

susnp25
Chatty Knitter

Australia
346 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  3:52:40 PM  Show Profile Send susnp25 a Private Message
GFTC,
Yes, no big deal I think we all have to have a break accasionally, I just do some tapestry or crochet a rug and before I know it I'm planning what I'll knit when I am finished.
I think sometimes the things you have to knit for presents etc wears you out and you need to make something for yourself to get the urge back, but give yourself a break first.
Susan.
Go to Top of Page

vtknitter
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  5:24:07 PM  Show Profile Send vtknitter a Private Message
Great topic and replies! I'm in the midst of the slump and the only thing I seem to want to create are socks, even tho other projects (and yarn) are waiting in the sideline! Will take to heart the comments here and try to "lay off" for a bit. Clara, Spring has yet to come to Vermont, so you aren't alone! Thank you all....sam
Go to Top of Page

momknits
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile Send momknits a Private Message
I know sometimes I get stuck because I have too many ideas and don't know which one to latch onto. I start looking through my magazines and books and often end up starting a totally different project. What I realized was that I'd been carrying those projects in my head for just too long and I needed a break. Something fresh. Don't worry, your desire will surface again soon. Knitting should be fun,if it's not, some down time can be a very good thing!
Go to Top of Page

Snowcat
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  5:35:43 PM  Show Profile Send Snowcat a Private Message
Yes!! Someone else is suffering from the "I can't seem to get motivated to knit" bug. I however have 4 projects hanging on needles. I think that the warm spell we've had has turned my brain away from sweaters and scarfs. I think that I am temporarly stuck in the "my to do list is 8000(etc) miles long and I feel guilty sitting and knitting" phase as well. Maybe a break will do me good. Heck, I don't NEED anything off of the needles before August.

Where ever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  6:54:40 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
I had this problem at the end of January when I finished the Christmas presents. I tried and tried to knit myself a measly scarf and hated all efforts. I took some time off, though not on purpose, and now I'm knitting again and something totally different. I wouldn't be surprised if, when you start knitting again, it goes in a whole new direction.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  7:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Sounds to me like the perfect opportunity to take up spinning! It's fun: it'll occupy your hands, your mind and your time; and when you're ready to knit again, you'll have brand new yarn that you made yourself :-)

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

Eschew obsfucation.
Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  7:51:59 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
I too have been in a bit of a knitting slump... although I have gone to my knitting group meetings that is the only knitting I have done recently (about 3 weeks)... I have been reading some books that I have wanted to... but just can't seem to motivate myself to knit much...I have been still reading the forums though... I am also contemplating some kool aid dyeing of yarn that I have had for a while... but my weekends and work has been so busy I just want to crash on the weekend.

karen in the U.P. of MI
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  12:14:24 AM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I, too, find that I can't start when I have a lot of projects to do because I don't know what to start next, it all becomes a bit overwhelming. If you have been knitting so much you are probably a bit burnt out so just take a break and maybe do some other craft (if you have one),
watch some really bad T.V. or just do nothing!!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

2004 Stats: 5 FOs, 2 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  12:50:08 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, GFTC: Not to worry. Right now I am up to my eyebrows in needlepoint--three or is it four gifts I am making. I do have a knitting project that I take to one of my knitting groups as one of my needlepoint projects is a gift for one of the members of that group. You will get back in the swing again. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

hmsull@princeton.edu
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  07:02:57 AM  Show Profile Send hmsull@princeton.edu a Private Message
How about an alternative fiber process as a change of pace? (spinning on a handspindle, weaving (on a cardboard loom if you don't have a "real" loom), felting, tatting........)
Helen
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  12:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
hMMMM, Sounds like a good time to take up spinning.....

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.85 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?