Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 I Seem To Have Stopped Knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

vtknitter
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  4:14:02 PM  Show Profile Send vtknitter a Private Message
Spinning, that's it! We started a fibre arts group up here in Northern Vermont and I even took spinning lessons (drop spindle) and have a bag of roving from one of the gal's sheep and goats. Thank you for the reminder to get spinning! sabra
Go to Top of Page

vtknitter
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile Send vtknitter a Private Message
Thank you all the reminder to spin! I have rovings from friends up here in upper VT from their sheep and goats. Need to pull out the drop spindle! Also, I have switched to cotton and linen in hopes of inspiration and to celebrate the coming (?) of Spring.

Sabra in the Woods
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  10:33:41 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
Don't worry, Spring is on its way--the daffodils in my garden all burst into bloom today and robins are migrating north. I've been knitting nonstop because I'm in a painting slump. And if I come across some good books, I may go on a reading binge. Someday I'll pick up my brushes again and the knitting will go on hold. All this seems perfectly normal to me. But perhaps most people are not the flibbertygibbet that I can be.
Go to Top of Page

ejdunn
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  06:45:21 AM  Show Profile Send ejdunn a Private Message
I loved all the replies to this thread, but thought I'd add something a little different. If you still want to knit, but can't get motivated on a "real" project, swatch! When I get stuck, I pull out a new yarn that I couldn't pass up but don't know what to do with, or several yarns I can't believe I bought but haven't been able to get rid of (sorry about all the participles). Sometimes I'll take out a yarn I love knitting with and a stitch pattern book and try some of the patterns I like to see if they're fun to knit or just tryingly awful. Recently I've completed a beautiful, sophisticated scarf out of two yarns nobody could figure out how to use, all because I was STUCK.

Eliz.
"Housework...you make the beds and wash the dishes, and six months later you have to do it all over again!" - Joan Rivers
Go to Top of Page

momblab
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  11:54:16 AM  Show Profile Send momblab a Private Message
What a fun topic. I have been knitting to fill my painting slump! I have all these paintings - but I am knitting away instead. Nothing out of my studio in the last few months- but 12 pairs of socks, 4 shawls, a few vests and many fancy scarves are off the needles
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  06:21:23 AM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
I can tell you what i do when i don't feel like knitting. i read, i crochet, i spin, i play with my kids. i'm envious of those of you who can paint, i can't even draw a straight line. just be patient, it will come. or you could go to your LYS for inspiration, lol! (unless you're on a yarn diet, like i am, i can't buy any until i move into the new house, which isn't for another 38 days, sigh) meanwhile, have fun!
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein.
Go to Top of Page

claudiam
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  8:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit claudiam's Homepage Send claudiam a Private Message
Well, I am knitting s-l-o-w-e-r. I was knitting in a frenzied pace last year this time, I have had good projects and bad. I have learned so much! I love to knit, I love Tahki-Stacy Charles, I love Lionbrand, I love Jo Sharpe. I love knitting books. It is so easy to sit and knit at home. What I can't seem to motivate myself to do is sew. I loved sewing, when I think about the things I used to love, and don't any longer I don't to lose either. I am wondering because I never felt that I was never as successful sewing. I wore a lot of ugly stuff, but eventually it looked good. I don't want to lose my skills. Its been 4 months at least. I have had more success knitting and plus you can carry it around with you.
Go to Top of Page

girlgenius
Chatty Knitter

150 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  10:49:33 AM  Show Profile Send girlgenius a Private Message
What a great topic. I've stopped, too - I swatched a bit on a fair-isle design I worked up with some software to use my kool-aid dyed wool on (what a wretched sentence), but my wrist hurt too much. I'm really getting worried.
But I've been spinning with my drop spindle and it feels really good. I'm getting better at it all the time - a friend at work has offered to lend me her Ashford wheel. I'm scared to take her up on it! What if I never go back to normal? Ha ha ha! (evil laugh). I'll clothe the world in sox sox sox.
best, kate
hee.

Stumbling through the fiber arts

My blog: http://home.earthlink.net/~girlgenius03/kittyknits/
Go to Top of Page

jeniflower
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  4:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeniflower's Homepage Send jeniflower a Private Message
I was in a definite slump for a while - what got me out of it? Alchemy yarns - I am knitting with two different colors of green in the silk purse, making a beautiful lace camisole for the summer (and for the rest of the year since i live in southern california)!

My slump lasted for about a month - I kept picking up different projects, starting them and just couldn't keep going - until these beautiful colros from Alchemy arrived! I keep thinking of things I can make with it!

Jen
Go to Top of Page

jeniflower
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  4:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeniflower's Homepage Send jeniflower a Private Message
Oops! I forgot why I found this thread - I am learning to spin - starting today! I have my first sad little niddy noddie all wrapped up - can't wait to go back next week!

jen
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  5:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Jen, there are several topics in the Spinning section further down the main menu - come join us!

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  7:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
Where Lissa, Where?! I remember seeing a spinning section, one on lace knitting, and one specifically for sock knitters when I first signed up but haven't been able to find them since. Don't seem to see the "off topic" section any more either. Have I gone crazy or is there a trick to this?

-Marlene-
Go to Top of Page

MijTink
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  9:06:38 PM  Show Profile Send MijTink a Private Message
I'm so glad you brought this phenomenon up. After a lengthy period of "forced-knitting" once, I was suddenly in a slump. Alas... Had my copper-top run out of juice? I was perched like a lump watching TV three nights in a row! Alas indeed.

After having tatted lace for 30 years, I decided to try rekindling that obsession. I went to my LYS to buy some Cebelia. As I walked in the door, the fragrance of wool wafted over me, and I dove headfirst into their newest yarns (right past the tatting thread). Mysteriously my knitting fury returned full force, and I have not stopped since. Although I continue to knit every day, I've decided to include spinning. As Clara said in today's newsletter, incorporating spinning "exponentially multiplies your options." How true.

The upshot of all this prattle is, I think, maybe taking up spinning would make a person want to knit their own homespun.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you understand what you are doing."
-Guarantee Reserve Guardian
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  11:50:09 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wovenflame

Where Lissa, Where?! I remember seeing a spinning section, one on lace knitting, and one specifically for sock knitters when I first signed up but haven't been able to find them since. Don't seem to see the "off topic" section any more either. Have I gone crazy or is there a trick to this?

-Marlene-

Marlene, if you're only looking at active topics, it's possible that there have been no rectent postings. Start at the home page and go 'way down, you'll find them. First comes Knitting Talk, then felting, then spinning, I think. Off topic is right at the bottom.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: