Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What are good first projects for new knitters?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  8:08:02 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
In addition to anything from Knit Stitch or Purl Stitch books, I'd recommend you take a look at Knitting for Dummies. It has excellent projects and general instructions/technique info.

I wish I could think of something witty to sign off with...
Go to Top of Page

TangledUp
New Pal

26 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  06:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit TangledUp's Homepage Send TangledUp a Private Message
This is what I'm knitting....I think it's pretty funky - though the yarn cost me a small mint.

http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  07:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Hats are fun if you want to try something to wear - but from personal experience make it longer than you think you should, since putting it on your head stretches it sideways and you might end up with a beanie! Dishcloths are great if you want to learn new patterns - just grab a pattern book and play! If you don't like how it turns out, you can use it as your grubby cloth, if you do, it can be a washcloth in the bathroom, or go in a gift basket with some lovely soaps!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Po
Warming Up

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  1:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Po's Homepage Send Po a Private Message
I have suggested headbands/earwarmers to friends who are learning because if you mess up and have to start over you usually don't have to rip much and it's done quickly...which I think is good for motivation!

Po

My blog attempt: http://www.mindspring.com/~cdsouto/
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  8:26:17 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
Julie, I love your idea. Only instead of increases up the underside of the sleeve, I think possibly they could go up the outside where the ribbon would be more visible. It would of course need a different shaping for the top of the sleeve. Some continental magazines are featuring ribbon as part of the bodice design. As you said, it looks hard but isn't.
Go to Top of Page

media.teatime@gmail.com

USA
Posted - 03/13/2004 :  06:45:33 AM  Show Profile Send media.teatime@gmail.com a Private Message
My ten-year old daughter did start knitting with an eyelash yarn scarf, but she's also made a pair of fingerless mitts, which were easy but funky, and an eyeglasses case. I started with a scarf which I made into a shawl by not knowing when to stop!
Go to Top of Page

mummumsix@aol.com

Posted - 03/13/2004 :  12:22:26 PM  Show Profile Send mummumsix@aol.com a Private Message
I find that in teaching my friends how to knit that scarves and simple patterns for afghans are the best. Stitch and beach book is good and some of the knitting patterns books are good
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2004 :  2:21:11 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I like the idea of mitts or slippers. They can be done on two needles or in the round, and you learn all the basic techniques in a short amount of time.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2004 :  7:36:59 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
I just found a spectacular pattern online at www.whiteliesdesigns.com for a stockinette tank top that uses optional short row shaping at the hips and bust. Sleeves are optional [click on patterns, then women, then scroll to very bottom]. There is also a link to a www.knitty.com tutorial on using shortrows that demonstrates VERY clearly how to do them on that particular tank top. There are also instructions for adding sleeves. Having done short rows on my third project [socks] and wondered what all the fuss was about socks being hard, I'd recommend that a newbie try this [or socks, for that matter]. Both will teach you a lot about garment construction with very little effort. It will also produce a very 'professional' looking garment, rather than the usual new knitter/not-so-attractive boxy sweater/tank stuff. The stockinette keeps it simple, the short rows teach you something worth knowing. Anyone with even a little experience could help you if you were stuck. Perhaps a knit-along might come of it.

Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2004 :  7:37:39 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
I just found a spectacular pattern online at www.whiteliesdesigns.com for a stockinette tank top that uses optional short row shaping at the hips and bust. Sleeves are optional [click on patterns, then women, then scroll to very bottom]. There is also a link to a www.knitty.com tutorial on using shortrows that demonstrates VERY clearly how to do them on that particular tank top. There are also instructions for adding sleeves. Having done short rows on my third project [socks] and wondered what all the fuss was about socks being hard, I'd recommend that a newbie try this [or socks, for that matter]. Both will teach you a lot about garment construction with very little effort. It will also produce a very 'professional' looking garment, rather than the usual new knitter/not-so-attractive boxy sweater/tank stuff. The stockinette keeps it simple, the short rows teach you something worth knowing. Anyone with even a little experience could help you if you were stuck. Perhaps a knit-along might come of it.

Go to Top of Page

Leanne
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
384 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2004 :  8:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leanne's Homepage Send Leanne a Private Message
I have some free patterns on my site which would be excellent first projects. Please,look on the "Free Pattern" page.

http://www.oknitting.com
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  3:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
I started one of my best friends with a hat--cast on, join in a circle on 16" needle, knit until it's about 7 inches (by which time the knit stitch is nice and familiar, though a rib would have worked, too), and then start decreasing at regular intervals so the whole thing spirals in toward the center point. At one point, she moved to DPNs--but even they behaved themselves with the weight of the hat holding them in place. (You know how rowdy DPNS can be at the very beginning of a project!).

It made a great first project--much faster to complete than a scarf would have been, the moderate shaping made for some interest before "knit-knit-knit" could get too boring, and voila! A hat to wear before she got bored! Because let's face it--the worst part about starting with a scarf is that, unless you're using chunky, quick-knitting yarn, they get boring--and who wants that for a first project when instant gratification is just what you need to get hooked!

Incidentally, she's on her second sweater now. That's one hat, one finished sweater, and now a second sweater since Thanksgiving. Not super speedy, perhaps, but she's hooked!

Deb in NJ
Go to Top of Page

unorthodox
Chatty Knitter

129 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  4:13:26 PM  Show Profile Send unorthodox a Private Message
Knitter's Stash has some wonderful patterns. if you want to follow a pattern on a very easy, fast knitting project, try the washcloth designs included. they can be done in an hour or two depending on skill and desire. the great thing about washclothes is they get used. i love my dishclothes so much that i have difficulty (spoiled that i am) with using store bought dishrags. fast, fun, and as fancy as you wish.

Go to Top of Page

L@urie
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  7:22:55 PM  Show Profile Send L@urie a Private Message
After years of being on a 'knitting hiatus' I came back to knitting recently by knitting scarves; with all the great yarns out there, they're really fun. Next I plan to make a simple shawl, to help me with increases/decreases, and then a felted bag. After that probably a simple sweater from the 1st Sally Melville book. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  7:53:16 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
My very first project was mittens, using double points. Would not recommend that, although they go really, really fast. My second was a sweater for my boyfriend - that was 1974, and could have started the Curse of the Love Sweater. If I had made it for myself, I would have loved it. No fancy stitches, but increases, decreases and finishing. If that is too involved, I would second the recommendation above to have a big and a small project going at once (I always have at least 5 going at once), with maybe a tank top as the easy. This summer, I used the Einstein Jacket as my easy project - that was sure fun to carry around in 90 degree weather!

Debra
Go to Top of Page

abgates
New Pal

35 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2004 :  6:36:43 PM  Show Profile Send abgates a Private Message
I'm a new knitter, and if you have a dog, cat or child to give it to, knitting a "toy ball" is a lot of fun. It only takes a couple of hours, uses about 25 yards of yarn, and helps you practice cast-only, knit, purl, increases, decreases, seaming and bind-off. You make the ball cover, then stuff it with fiberfill or scrap yarn. Pick a fun color, or a multi-color yarn and you'll make a pretty ball. Kids I know love them, because they can throw them in the house and not break anything. If you want the pattern I use, just let me know.
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2004 :  7:56:01 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
Kid Knits by Melanie Falick(sp?) is a good place to try. Good descriptions of stitches and pretty and fun.

happiness is highly underrated
Go to Top of Page

GPORTER@ec.rr.com
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2004 :  10:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit GPORTER@ec.rr.com's Homepage Send GPORTER@ec.rr.com a Private Message
You might also try one of the super simple sweater patterns that are all over the place now. Many of them are just 2 large squares or rectangles strategically seamed to make a sleeveless pullover or a drop shoulder sweater , made by knitting 2 more squares. There is a baby sweater and hat done this way in the last issue of Knit It...I did it in 2 or 3 days for the baby niece...Was very very easy and it turns out great. This has the added psycological benefit of the new knitter feeling as though they really made something...after all only good knitters can make a sweater successfully right? Just a few thoughts...
Light for the journey,
Georgia

"I'd rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special..."--from Steel Magnolias

http://www.geocities.com/ggluvsmp/countryside.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.