Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 What do you like to listen when knitting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

outcast_elf
Warming Up

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  6:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit outcast_elf's Homepage Send outcast_elf a Private Message
I enjoy Table Beat Science. It's trancy middle eastern drum/techno/ecclectic amazingess. I was spinning to it today, and I was spinning perfectly. When it stopped, I couldn't spin anymore. It was weird. It's really my "get in the zone" music.

-Lauren
http://knittinfool.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  7:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
Bess, about a year ago, you got me hooked on that lute music. Do you remember that I emailed you, after reading about your music on your blog, and you emailed me back with the name of your favorite lute c.d.'s? I ordered them back then, and I love to listen to them. They are so relaxing. So, thank you! This is another thing I love about reading blogs... I would never have known about this music.

Teresa
California
Knitting and More
http://journals.aol.com/knit2relax/KnittingandMore/
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  8:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
I usually watch television while I knit--keeps my brain occupied! (Which is particularly helpful considering the dearth of good programming these days. What's the deal with all these reality shows? I miss GOOD shows that people actually WRITE!)

Deb in NJ
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  10:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I tend to watch, well make that listen to the TV. Shows that have lots of dialogue are good like Sex and the City or all the different versions of Law & Order. Luckily I have cable so I get Law & order on channels 1,8,10 and 33, at least 1 of the variations is on every night! Music channels are good too.

Wen

2004 stats: 4 FO, 5 WIP, 15 wool purchased. 2 frogpond
Go to Top of Page

caramel93117
Chatty Knitter

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  11:42:33 PM  Show Profile Send caramel93117 a Private Message
I'm a big TV listener too. It's perfect when my DH is watching the basketball game and I can sit next to him and knit. I also like the quiet at night. Unfortunately I haven't really figured out how to knit and browse through KR at the same time. It makes it hard to decide which I'm more in the mood for.

Melissa

"Take your needle, my child, and work your pattern--it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that...one stitch at a time taken patiently."--Oliver Wendall
Go to Top of Page

SoxFan5
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  08:04:36 AM  Show Profile Send SoxFan5 a Private Message
I am a huge baseball fan (Red Sox) so find that having the game on while I knit is the ideal way to spend time! In fact, because baseball is not played during the winter, I actually find that I'm a MORE productive knitter during the warmer months! My DH always marvels that I am able to keep track of counting stitches while the baseball announcer is going on about somebody's stats ("Nomar has a .305 average going into today's game, his OBP is .600, etc. etc....") I tell him that somehow even though I AM paying attention to every word, I am able to keep the numbers from confusing me. I am also a musician and find that I absolutely CANNOT listen to a CD or the radio without becoming totally focused on the music and not the knitting. Likewise if I try to read a book and have music going. I just can't do both! There are a few artists that I can listen to while knitting (but not reading): Grieg's Lyric Pieces, Erik Satie, the occassional Back or Mozart (though that's kind of pushing it). I can also turn on the "Soundscapes" selection on my digital cable music channels on TV - which is a New-Agey sort of station. Or I listen to the local NPR news station. Anything with lyrics is a definite no - especially if it's an album I have committed to memory. Anyone else have this problem? I'm just so glad that they're already airing most of the spring training games and pretty soon the real baseball season will be underway! (Even if there is a foot of snow on the ground and more on the way.)

Happy Knitting!

Angela in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Go to Top of Page

SaraiDia
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  08:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit SaraiDia's Homepage  Send SaraiDia a Yahoo! Message Send SaraiDia a Private Message
When knitting I usually listen to the big band swing channel on my computer. I actually got through the Unabridged Lord of the Rings on audio book while making my last large project.
Go to Top of Page

sdh2
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  08:35:46 AM  Show Profile Send sdh2 a Private Message
I love to have music on, usually something classical, but if it gets too good I have to stop and listen. Also, I am committed to college basketball and watch that a lot while knitting. The next couple of weeks will be very productive, with March Madness going on! I used to watch lots of Law and Order, but I think I have seen most of them and I am tired of that now.

The best news here is that so many of you have mentioned Netflix....my daughter and son-in-law in Berkeley introduced me to this service and I love it. Then, lo and behold, the significant other of my dauther in Chicago just took a new job managing the Netflix office in Chicago!! So I am doubly committed.....Hope those of you who don't know about this will visit Netflix.com and investigate.

What I hope to complete during March Madness is a darling faire isle sweater for my 18 month old granddaughter with bunnies, flowers, sheep and hearts on it. It is fun to knit, but a little slow....Fun to hear what everyone else is doing and listening to!...Susan
Go to Top of Page

eclaire26

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  08:45:03 AM  Show Profile Send eclaire26 a Private Message
I too, watch/listen to TV while I knit. Almost exclusively the History Channel. I can focus better on the topic if I am knitting. If I am just sitting and watching TV, my mind tends to wander. That's why I knit in church, too!
Go to Top of Page

LSEsStudio
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  08:53:24 AM  Show Profile Send LSEsStudio a Private Message
Oooh, neat topic! I fell in love with books on tape many years ago when I had long commutes to work. When I picked up my knitting last year after a long hiatus, it was a natural to knit and listen to books at the same time.

One of my recent favorites is the novel Four Fires by Bryce Courtenay. This awesome book really grabbed me, and I purchased it in hardcopy to add to my library. Other authors I find most entertaining include Lisa Scottoline, Sue Grafton, Dick Francis, John Grisham, and Stuart Woods.

However, when I'm knitting a complex pattern, I prefer music, primarily jazz and blues, so I can concentrate. Eric Clapton, Etta James, B. B. King, Ramsey Lewis, etc. are some of my standards.

Happy knitting to all!
Lynne in Colorado

Go to Top of Page

GerriClemens
New Pal

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  08:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit GerriClemens's Homepage Send GerriClemens a Private Message
I will listen to the Bible Broadcasting Network or classical cd's.

CricketGlenn2002
Gerri Clemens
Go to Top of Page

lento@chorus.net
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  09:26:57 AM  Show Profile Send lento@chorus.net a Private Message
I look forward so much to an evening with no commitments (not even dinner out!) so I can knit and listen to my current recorded book. At present, I'm about halfway through the last book in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I have the BBC's dramatization of LOTR next up (it's so incredibly rich). This is accompanying sweaters for grandchildren and a lace scarf designed by Hazel Carter. I've listened to everything I can find by Anthony Trollope, George Eliot, all the 'classics' I missed in school (and probably wouldn't have appreciated then). I like some mysteries, some biographies and some history. I like lecture series, too, but they require mindless knitting. I'm another knitter who has trouble listening to music (I'm also a musician). My first love is chamber music, but I also enjoy choral music and art song - from all eras, but Bach is best. And I love silence - am looking forward to weather warm enough to knit on the screened porch with the birdsong.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Mokihana
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  10:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mokihana's Homepage Send Mokihana a Private Message
Well, my favorite music is traditional Hawaiian. I love listening to my favorite songs while I knit, singing along in Hawaiian. The Hawaiian words and melodies help me to feel connected to home even though I'm now on the mainland.

I also listen and sing along to Christian praise and worship music.

Sometimes I just listen to the birds and the waterfall outside my window; sometimes I'll watch movies or TV. I especially love watching "Judging Amy" when I knit or spin, because I absolutely adore watching Tyne Daly knit!

I also enjoy knitting and spinning with friends, quiet conversation along with the sound of our needles or wheels.

I listen to Books on Tape/CD in the car while driving, but obviously I'm not knitting then (except at stoplights)!

Aloha,

Mokihana
Go to Top of Page

pam54ormore
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  11:09:22 AM  Show Profile Send pam54ormore a Private Message
Hello,
I have just in the past few months started to listen to audio books while I knit. I am an avid reader and knitter and this combines my favorite hobbies.
Go to Top of Page

iknitabit
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  11:45:10 AM  Show Profile Send iknitabit a Private Message
When I am knitting, I like to listen to Enya, Sarah McLaughlin, Secret Garden, Josh Groban, Kathy Mattea, Danny Wright (Phantasys).

Sometimes John Denver, Garth Brooks, Kenny Loggins...and on, and on.

"If you are all wrapped up in yourself... you are overdressed!"
Go to Top of Page

megingras@hotmail.com

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  12:24:04 PM  Show Profile Send megingras@hotmail.com a Private Message
It varies depending on what project I am working on. My favorite knitting CD is the new one from Tommy Emmanuel called "Endless Road". His other CD that I play is called "Only". Another great group is Secret Garden and they are from Norway. Both Tommy Emmanuel and Secret Garden are great artists to get "lost" in their music.
Martha

Don't Postpone Joy!
Go to Top of Page

Ruthie

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  12:46:16 PM  Show Profile Send Ruthie a Private Message
I am very diverse in knitting music. Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Puccini, The White Stripes, Depeche Mode, Danzig, Peter Cincotti....
But I also like to watch movies while I knit. Haven't yet listened to a book on tape, but I will try that soon!...
Go to Top of Page

SonnyOuzounian@netscape.net

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  1:48:27 PM  Show Profile Send SonnyOuzounian@netscape.net a Private Message
Since my current favorite thing to knit is kilt hose, I've been listening to my bagpipe CD's alot.
Go to Top of Page

Janice
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  2:39:49 PM  Show Profile Send Janice a Private Message
I guess mine counts as books on tape. I've got a text-to-speech program on my computer and I have it read me books from Project Gutenberg. Lately it's been old-time detective stories.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  3:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message
It changes depending on my mood. It could be anything from talk radio to classical to pop/rock/jazz.

Felicia in NYC

"This is mohair." "Mohair", he said and placed the furry ball on his head. "Mohair for me?" - from a very funny moment with my boyfriend in a LYS.

Yarn Fast started on 2/22/04 (no yarn purchases until Stitches East)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?