Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 What do you like to listen when knitting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

KAB
Chatty Knitter

194 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  4:20:49 PM  Show Profile Send KAB a Private Message
Thank you for the music link. I love her voice! This would also be great to listen to on the plane tomorrow. Leaving for Chicago on a very small plane and I've learned to bring my CD player with me.

Usually with mindless knitting I watch TV. But starting a new complicated project soon and will probably listen to Andrea Bocelli or Josh Grogan.

Karen in N.C.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.
Go to Top of Page

media.teatime@gmail.com

USA
Posted - 03/18/2004 :  4:45:36 PM  Show Profile Send media.teatime@gmail.com a Private Message
I listen to books on tape and a wild variety of classical, pop, folk, and sappy children's songs on my MP3 player while I knit. I also "listen" to the television (who needs to watch?).

I do a great deal of knitting while my daughters take their Tae Kwan Do lessons, so I listen to that, too.
Go to Top of Page

La Tricoteuse
Warming Up

52 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  10:09:35 PM  Show Profile Send La Tricoteuse a Private Message
Okay, I confess. I used to listen to Wodehouse constantly while knitting. Back in the days when I had a local library well supplied with Wodehouse that is. Now, I listen to... hmm, not much actually. I've heard all my cd's so many times that I can't stand them. I did discover, when living in southwestern VA, that listening to bluegrass made me knit considerably faster. Pity I never developed an affinity for it. I am sooo jealous of people who can convince their family members to read to them, my family is very stubborn on this point. I'm perfectly willing to read out loud, but that doesn't do much good when I'm knittting!

La Tricoteuse

"At this point in her discourse it became necessary for her to set the heel of a great blue stocking she was knitting, and she warned him that he was not to speak while she counted her stitches and performed that mysterious act."
Go to Top of Page

catspaw@ntelos.net

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  05:38:33 AM  Show Profile Send catspaw@ntelos.net a Private Message
I'm a fan of classical music so I've usually got NPR or one of my own CD's on when I'm knitting. I'm also a handspinner and my favorite occupation on a Saturday afternoon is to get out my wheel and put on the Met Opera broadcasts - heaven!
Go to Top of Page

MichelleKS
New Pal

45 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  08:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit MichelleKS's Homepage Send MichelleKS a Private Message
My 7 year old daughter has to read a book or a few chapters of a book each night for homework, so I have her read to me while I knit. I also listen to TV while knitting. If I were to watch TV alone I would most definitely fall asleep! I keep up with popular culture During Football playoffs I sat next to my husband and knit and convince him to help me untangle a skein of ribbon yarn that was a mess. We got it untangle through two games! One time while watching a show on TV while knitting, I stopped knitting and something happene do the show or movie that cause me to break the wooden needle I was using. It would be nice to find a netflix like service for books on tape. I would do that too!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  11:00:11 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
I listen to NPR all day long if I'm home, and whatever I'm doing. I also like to watch DVDs on my laptop sometimes, and knit if I've seen it before. I don't even own a TV, haven't since 1989. I'm not a bit deprived, but must admit that most people's conversation all about what they've seen on TV recently bores me.

AJ
Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  11:02:33 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
PS I didn't mean you guys, but casual acquaintances at work and play.

AJ
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  3:50:21 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
Good topic! When I was young, so many years ago, I used to be sure to be at home on Sundays at 6 to listen to old radio shows and knit. So this week at the library, I checked out a tape of The Shadow to try.
I don't think I could listen to Bach and knit. Bach is the master, and when I listen to him I have to watch all the images in my head, and feel the violin in my hands, not that I've played for a long time. Sitting in silence is good, and I got about 7 inches done on my afghan waiting for my computer to load the next page for my income taxes. Fast? 3 1/2 hours!!! And we won't even talk about getting back to signature page!!!!

happiness is highly underrated
Go to Top of Page

akt
Warming Up

83 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2004 :  8:02:47 PM  Show Profile Send akt a Private Message
My days are filled with constant sound so I really appreciate peace and quiet when knitting. Sometimes, I will put on HGTV (or something similar) and glance at it as I knit, but it's mostly background sound.

Anne
Go to Top of Page

Orchid_Melody@excite.com

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  11:37:42 AM  Show Profile Send Orchid_Melody@excite.com a Private Message
Fuse. Sometimes I'll put a DVD in. Depends on the mood.

KnitWitch
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  08:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
Listening? Who's listening? ;} I use knitting as my great escape, so I knit when I want to be in the room but not neccessarily "in the moment" or as a friend says - so I can slow down and stay with everyone else.

So, I knit without special concern for what I'm listening to, in fact, the more contraversial, the better. Perfect for those contentious staff teleconferences!

HoJo

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittesley
Go to Top of Page

Jason
New Pal

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  10:55:04 AM  Show Profile Send Jason a Private Message
I have been hooked recently on a CD by a group called Delerium. The CD is titled Karma and the music is Middlle Eastern / East Indian inspired. I have listened to song #6, lamentation, about 100 times and I still can't get enough! :)
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  1:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
I have fairly diverse tastes in music. When I'm knitting, I generally like classical (especially Dvorak and other Eastern European "Romantic" era composers) or baroque.

Lately, though, I've dug out all the sacred-music (Gregorian chant and other choral church music) CDs that I bought shortly after I moved down here (I think I felt my life was in turmoil at that time and I needed something soothing) and I've been listening to them.

Sometimes I listen to traditional Celtic music as well.

Can't listen to anything too peppy (e.g., Cuban or swing jazz or stuff like that) because it makes me want to get up and dance instead of knit!

I do sometimes read while I knit. In that case I either need silence or very very quiet instrumental music so I can concentrate.

Actually, absolute silence (without a book) doesn't work so well for me, I live in an old house and all the creaks and drips and things like that distract me or make me worry about mice.
Go to Top of Page

championtll@aol.com

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile Send championtll@aol.com a Private Message
I love to sit on my front porch and listen to my bluebirds making their selves at home in a house that has been here for so many years, me being on the porch does not bother them at all...i love spring time music while i am knitting and i hope everyone has a favorite spot also.... there is nothing as great as the sun shining on you while listening to all the birds going about their business.Sorry if this sounds so sappy but it is true...da1214wic
Go to Top of Page

purlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  11:13:24 AM  Show Profile Send purlgrrl a Private Message
da1214wic-That doesn't sound sappy at all. I'm glad you have such a treasured place to knit and enjoy the world around you.

As for me, sometimes I try to work out problems that are bothering me while I knit (applicable when doing garter stitch or some pattern that isn't mentally stressful), and when I get tired of living in my head, I turn on something like Bob Dylan or maybe June Carter Cash, which I knitted to this morning. My musical tastes are all over the map, and you never know what will strike my fancy from one moment to the next.
Go to Top of Page

knittr
New Pal

40 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  6:48:53 PM  Show Profile Send knittr a Private Message
I don't listen to anything per se when I knit but I do read. I find knitting is a perfect thing to do when I do my daily Bible reading/study. Two wonderful things to do simultaneously! Happy Knitting all.
Go to Top of Page

championtll@aol.com

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  7:26:38 PM  Show Profile Send championtll@aol.com a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by purlgrrl

da1214wic-That doesn't sound sappy at all. I'm glad you have such a treasured place to knit and enjoy the world around you.

As for me, sometimes I try to work out problems that are bothering me while I knit (applicable when doing garter stitch or some pattern that isn't mentally stressful), and when I get tired of living in my head, I turn on something like Bob Dylan or maybe June Carter Cash, which I knitted to this morning. My musical tastes are all over the map, and you never know what will strike my fancy from one moment to the next.

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  7:46:27 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Either blessed silence, or a 5 hour Soapnet marathon of ALL MY CHILDREN. I used to sit in front of the TV all day every Sunday watching AMC and knitting (kind of like guys and their football) but it felt too indulgent - indolent after awhile.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

prixby
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  11:26:03 AM  Show Profile Send prixby a Private Message
Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Coldplay, Travis are all good to either knit or read to. I also get out my Pure Moods CD collection from time to time - all of them are good new-age compilations you can use to discover new groups (like Delerium - yes, Jason, Karma is great - my fave is #4 Silence.) Mostly I listen to music while reading and have the TV on while knitting. I think this habit developed because I turn the TV on for company while I eat dinner, then after I eat, I knit, then after a couple of hours, I get tired of TV and knitting and switch to reading until I'm ready to sleep.

prixby

Life is what happens while we're listening to music.
Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  11:56:21 AM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
I like all kinds of music and can listen to just about anything while knitting. I have 3 kids at home, ages 5, 7, and 11. I usually indulge in some knitting while they are watching a movie or listening to their music. Thankfully, I can tolerate most children's shows and music pretty well (Reading Rainbow, National Geographic Channel and Between the Lions are my 5-year old's favorites: actually quite entertaining). I feel somewhat vindicated about the time the TV is on if the show is educational. If I had the time all to myself, I'd probably watch an old movie, or listen to Alison Krauss, Sadie or Enya. Knitting Nirvana

Wendy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.