Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Designers Forum
 Coogi sweaters
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  9:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
Does anyone else adore Coogi sweaters? I just like how visually complex they are.

I haven't had a chance to scrutinize one since I began knitting (now I scrutinize every piece of knitwear I come across), so I'm wondering if anyone knows how they are made, and how a handknitter might begin to create in a similar style. E.g. what skills would be needed, what kind of techniques might be used.

Josh A.
N. California -> Rochester, NY

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  9:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Um. What's a coogi sweater?

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  11:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
They are machine knitted in a factory in Richmond (suburb of Melbourne). A TV person wore them incessantly through the 80s and it really put me off. I assume it's the same thing, there couldn't be 2 coogi co's.

Wen

2004 stats: 4 FO, 5 WIP, 15 wool purchased. 2 frogpond
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  11:30:26 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
I'm not the only one who doesn't know?? :)

Clueless I am. Clueless.

m
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  12:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
ere's a link that will show you what they look like.

http://www.coogisweater.com/

Wen

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  01:12:53 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Thanks for the photo-- I clicked on "medium coogi sweaters for women"-- just out of curiosity-- there was also a plain black cardigan :) I'm guessing you meant the designed ones?

m
Go to Top of Page

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  01:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
Sorry for not giving a link... yes, they were made infamous by Bill Cosby. I won't hold it against them. You can't control who wears your product.

I figured, being production items, they were machine knitted. I'm just wondering how similar sweaters can be handknit.

Josh A.
Go to Top of Page

OKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  07:55:50 AM  Show Profile Send OKnitter a Private Message
I like Bill Cosby!

Ana
Knitting in Florida
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  08:25:12 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I like Bill Cosby as well, he looked great in those sweaters!!!!!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  2:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I was talking about an Aussie celeb called Daryl Somers. I didn't even think about the brand Bill Cosby wore as I didn't know they were exported.

Wen

Go to Top of Page

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  3:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
Oh wow. My bad, sorry :) Guess there's more than one celeb wearing them way too much.

Perhaps Freeform Knitting, done a bit differently, could be Coogi-esque. http://www.eject.com.au/e-motive/prudence/gallery.htm

Josh A.
Go to Top of Page

tess1e
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
627 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  05:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit tess1e's Homepage Send tess1e a Private Message
Eeek sorry Josh that freeform link is a bit scary - not for me - it looks like a big bunch of pizza toppings! Impressed with the creativity of it all though.... :-)

www.yarn-shop.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  06:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
LOL pizza toppings. If the freeform scared you, I'd hate to know what you'd think of some of the louder Coogi stuff :-)

Josh A.
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  1:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Josh- I cruised the web site and I think I remember seeing sweaters like that in the eighties when the Cosby Show was on. A lot of them were machine knit sideways, with extra little flaps and flops of knitting sticking out in all directions - at a fine enough gauge to not snag on anything. I'm not sure it's repeatable with hand knitting. Well, let me rephrase that, I'm not sure anyone would go to the trouble of doing it with hand knitting. Because you'd be looking at #1 or smaller needles to repeat the stuff I've seen, and you'd be doing enough knitting for at least a sweater and a half - most of the ones I saw were double-layered.

Have you considered ripping off their color schemes and doing something similar with regular old stranded color? (Ripping off color schemes is my favorite thing.) If you hand-dyed some variegated yarns yourself, I could see you managing it with only two yarns for some of these examples.

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  3:52:23 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
Wen, they were exported, so Bill Cosby's jumpers were probably Coogi ones too.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

2004 Stats: 6 FOs, 3 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

ma2ut
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2004 :  2:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit ma2ut's Homepage Send ma2ut a Private Message
I believe Judge Reinhold's character wore Coogi sweaters in The Santa Clause and was subjected to merciless jokes about them by Tim Allen's character. I have two (love them) but I'm also verbally attacked by my co-workers when I wear them. So, I guess it's either love them or hate them. Vogue Knitting or maybe The Big Book of Knitting has a few pages devoted to textured knitting and describes techniques that would give similar results.
Go to Top of Page

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2004 :  4:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
Oooh. VK just came in the mail, I'll have to check.

People who mock the Coogi sweaters need fashion therapy. It's one thing not to like them; it's another to feel a need to insult them to their wearers.

Josh A.
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  11:54:28 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
Didn't Coogi go into liquidation last year ?? Or I think their Aussie division did.

Geez, really going to miss those jumpers ..... NOT

Diana
On a yarn diet
Only purchased two skeins since Feb 9, 2004
Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  1:56:52 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
For hand knitting a Coogi type sweater, there was a pattern in the Seeking Closure issue of Knitter's magazine that used a similar technique which could be adapted. I just went through it for some other reason, and found it.

The sweater in there was knit in seed stitch. Then, after it was finished and sewn together, stitches were picked up from around the body, in curving or waving lines, and a few rows of stocking stitch were knit and cast off. While the pattern itself didn't inspire me, the technique did. I think I'll be doing something similar soon.

Hope that helps!

Das war ein Vorspiel nur. Dort wo man Bücher
Verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen.
--Heinrich Heine 1820
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  7:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I must be tired; when I first saw the subject I read it as "Corgi" sweaters and thought it was a dog-sweater question!

I must admit, I don't care for Coogi sweaters; waaaay too busy for my taste. I bet they would be a BEAR to handknit with all those color changes.

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." --Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  8:18:49 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
heheheh... I blew a year's budget at a Coogi shop in Melbourne a few years ago, presents for everyone! I was just in heaven -- they were all so delicious. And usually "busy" is the kiss of death for me, so go figure...

Hi, Susan -- email is still a problem, but how are you doing?

Das war ein Vorspiel nur. Dort wo man Bücher
Verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen.
--Heinrich Heine 1820
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.