Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Wrap confusion about pearl rows
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MJBUD
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  10:12:11 AM  Show Profile Send MJBUD a Private Message
Hello all,

I am confused about short row shaping with turn and wrap instructions for pearl rows. My books say to wrap one way on a knit row and the opposite way on a pearl row. It makes sense for stockinette, but what about on a cable pattern where all the rows have both knit and pearl, knit and pearl through the back loops, slipped stitches, and other types of stitches?

Would you do knit row wraps on the right side and pearl row wraps on the wrong side? Does it matter? What do you do?

Thanks!

Marianne

MJBUD
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  1:03:57 PM  Show Profile Send MJBUD a Private Message
I found one reference that says the knit side is the right side and the purl side is the wrong side. If you have a different interpretation, please let me know.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

MJBUD
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  4:30:47 PM  Show Profile Send MJBUD a Private Message
Oh, my! I meant PURL rows. I must need more coffee today.

Apologies, all!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  02:16:24 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Hello, MJBUD, and welcome to the forums. I hope I don't confuse you too much because I am a little unorthodox in some of my views. To begin with, either the knit side or the purl side can be the right side or as I prefer to call it the outside or the public side. Which one is is dependent on the pattern. Most people who use the interpretation you found are talking about stockinette stitch and not about knitting in general. The other place in which I am unorthodox is that I don't believe how you do a stitch matters, only the results that you get from doing it. When you make a wrap, you are literally placing the yarn completely around the stitch. I usually do this by bringing the yarn forward between the two needles (careful that it is between or you are making a yarn over)slipping the stitch to the right needle, moving the yarn back between the needles, slipping that stitch back from the right hand needle to the left hand needle and turning my knitting. To pick up that stitch on a knit row, I slip my right hand needle under the wrap and place it on the left hand needle then knit both the wrap and the stitch off together. On a purl row, I again lift the wrap and place it on the left hand needle and then purl it off together with the stitch. When you have done it correctly, the wrap part is hidden behind the stitch and is not dominant, but after you have a few more rows knitted, it blends in and you do not get the little holes that occur when you do not wrap.

fran
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  07:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
building on what fran said (and i agree with her on most thing!) the only reason you 'wrap' differently is to make it easy to pick up the wrap (and knit it together with) when you work the stitch.

the idea is to not see the wrap-- and to make it easy for you to pick up and hide the wrap! wraping one way makes it easier, (on purl stitches), wrapping another way makes it easier on stitches that will be knit.

Back in the fall, Vogue (you library may still have it) Knitting had a good article on short rows and wraps, and wonderful pictures to show you why you are doing what you are being instructed to do! after a few short rows (i once made a baby blanket in the round from pizza pie shaped wedges) you catch on...

short row are everywhere once you know them.. in round blankets, in sock heels, in shawl collars, in sweaters knit in one peice (both neck down and hem up ones!) its a very useful knitting skill to acquire, and really not that hard.

if you have (or get ) the fall Vogue, think about making the scarf they have as a teaching tool..the black and white version they show is dramatic, but think, brown smooth wool and brown eyelash yarn, or black wool and grey eyelash yarn, (or other combo's of smooth/textured yarn would make a great fun scarf, that would also be a bit warm (if you need warmth in your climate) or have body. (most eyelash/novelty yarn are so soft and shapeless!)
Go to Top of Page

MJBUD
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  10:04:41 AM  Show Profile Send MJBUD a Private Message
Thank you both! I tried the two wraps while knitting both sides of my sweater neck and it looked fine.

Do you always knit across after the last short row and hide all wraps? I want to try the three-needle bindoff for the shoulders where the wraps won't show anyway.

When you use short rows and join the shoulders with a three-needle bindoff, how do you knit the neckband? I usually don't knit neckbands in the round because I get strange gaps.

How about bottom-up sleeves? Would you shape with short rows instead of decreases?

Since I started I keep coming up with more questions . . .
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  12:20:06 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I usually will knit a row that knits off all wraps before doing the 3 needle bind off, but I suppose it would work just to knit the wrap in the bind off. The question you need to ask yourself (and the only way to know is to try it) is: Will not doing the wrap make a hole.

As for gaps in neckbands, that is usually caused by following someone's directions in how to pick up the stitches instead of looking at your own work and picking up stitches that fill in any empty spots. I pick up stitches so they look good and then make adjustments in the next row so they fit the pattern. A common place for gaps is the spot between the bound off stitches across the front and the first decrease on the rows above it. Even though there is no stitch here, pick one up anyway to fill in that gap.

fran
Go to Top of Page

MJBUD
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  1:50:07 PM  Show Profile Send MJBUD a Private Message
Fran,

That makes sense! Sometimes when I knit the neckband in the round I get gaps because my needles are too long, too. For this sweater, I'm going to pick up as you said and use two circular needles.

Thank you very much. Your advice is great!

Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?