Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Stupid neckband needle question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2004 :  08:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
I am making a Dale of Norway pullover in Svale (cotton/silk) that is knit in the round,bottom up.I have finished the body and am on the sleeves.I was looking ahead to the neck band.All it says is to pick up the sts and work the necknand in the round.This particular pattern was vauge on needles as it was.So...
What I am wondering- what length needle do I need? I would have thought 16",but in looking at it- the neck is sort of a wide scoop
and shallow)and I can't imagine trying to fit my sts on that length.
Then again,24" looks too long.
I am asking rather than trying because I don't have a 16" in the needle sized needed,but don't mind buying it if it is what works.I am using dpn's for the sleeves,but they are 6" length and can't imagine using them to work a neckband.
Help?
Lisa in Oklahoma

Designs for hand knit socks...
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Knitting photos...
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2004 :  09:10:39 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
Hi Lisa,
I would try to cram them on a 16 inch. If you don't have one, though, try the two-circular method with whatever sizes you do have - since neckbands are not too long I have been known to cobble together two odd size circulars AND a DPN or two, since you only have to put up with the awkwardness for a few rows!
Lin
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2004 :  12:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
I agree with Lin. I think it's better to cram than stretch especially for necks. If it's a size you might use again, you might buy a 16". Otherwise, I like Lin's idea of 1 circs, just be sure to tighten up the stitches at the ends so you don't have holes. If you have a denise set you could try a couple of different connections to see what works, but I'm assuming you don't.

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Pictures: http://photos.yahoo.com/cpikas
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2004 :  5:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I would use the smallest cable that all the stitches fit on. You don't want to stretch the neck while you knit the band. Otherwise DPNs aren't so bad with so many stitches and only a few rows.

Wen

2004 stats: 4 FO, 5 WIP, 15 wool purchased. 2 frogpond
Go to Top of Page

Idoknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  04:05:41 AM  Show Profile Send Idoknit a Private Message
Lisa, There are Addi Turbos that come in 20 inch circulars. These might just be the ticket. Gloria
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  10:36:09 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Magic loop solves all this type of problem. I just finish with the same needle I started with. I get out 2 needles for each sweater, one main one and one for ribbing, usually a 40 inch Addi for the ribbing.

fran
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  2:49:26 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
I finally made something where I needed to use magic loop (baby booties) and it is soooo easy!! For some reason I thought it required two circular needles. So now I know how to do small circumferences on either 2 big circulars or one. It makes me wonder why anyone would want to do small circumferences any other way...
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  7:30:58 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Thank you elizh. I have been preaching that for months but did not get very many takers....LOL. I see so many knitting problems that are solved by this one technique that I am beginning if it shouldn't be the next lesson after knit and purl....lol. It certainly would save a lot of money on needle purchases, just one of each size, circular, in a 40 inch lenth.

fran
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  9:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I wish I'd heard about Magic Loop before I bought a bunch of circulars, two in each size for socks and such!! I have figured out to use that method on a lot of things. Just used it for my granddaughter's sweater neck. The sweater was done in the round from the neck down as a raglan. So, when I got to the bottom I just had to do the neckband and it was done. It was so cool!! Only thing was that with a small sweater I had two sleeves on needles and the body on a circular, and all those needles got in the way. Decided next time I am going to put the sleeves on a stitch holder or on some yarn to hold till I get the body done!! I am getting to where I don't want dpns for much at all, unless I want to start some socks and the other needles are being used.

Barb
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?