Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Need an average scarf length
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jo Anne
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  09:18:40 AM  Show Profile Send Jo Anne a Private Message
I have started a business making scarves and other things and now am confused on how long I should be knitting the scarves. I'm only 5'3" and know the length I like, but when knitting for people you don't know, I just don't know. Does anyone have any suggestions?

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  10:39:49 AM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
Weelllll, it would depend on the scarf. A novelty yarn scarf worn primarily for effect should be shorter--maybe 30 inches? But a woolly "Dang, it's cold out!" scarf should be long enough to REALLY wrap around your neck....maybe 4 feet. It also depends on the person. I like a short scarf because I'm not a big person and don't like things 'trailing' around after me. But my friend is a larger woman who likes a scarf she can wrap all around her neck and her head and whatever to ward off those Chicago winds. And with men, my husband likes a loooong scarf but some men prefer a short one that tucks into the coat and doesn't get in the way.

What kind of scarves are you making?

The Not-Very-Helpful-Kat

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  10:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
quote:
The Not-Very-Helpful-Kat

Kat in Illinois

Oh Kat, I don't see you that way at all. You'll be my go to sweater girl everytime!

I like my scarves very long, for me 6 feet is good.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  12:00:55 PM  Show Profile Send Jo Anne a Private Message
Hi Kat, Thanks for the info. I am making novelty scarves and right now I'm focusing on spring/summer items which I thought should be shorter, lighter, and airy.
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  12:12:03 PM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
Awwwww, Dee, I'm blushing.

I was worried I might be raising more questions than answers in this case, though!

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  12:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
The longer the better! My bf's main scarf almost touches his feet.

Also, if you're a fan of the movie Chicago, check out Billy Flynn's scarf in his first scene... white, luxurious, almost to his feet.

Josh A.
N. California -> Rochester, NY
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  2:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I personally find 'long' scarves shorter than 1.2m in length too short. But maybe that's just me. and short scarves (or neck-wrappers as someone i know calls them) should be just long enough to tie/button and tucked enatly away into the coat, so probably no more than 75cm.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  5:32:10 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
For warm scarves (functional rather than decorative) it seems most patterns go to 42 inches for "tuck inside the coat scarves" to 60 inches or longer for "wrap around your neck and trail behind you scarves." My novelty yarn scarves (Eros) are fairly long but I like to wear it doubled over my neck with the ends pulled through the loop, efectually halving the length.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by