Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 what will you be knitting this summer?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  08:14:32 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
New England is slowly crawling out of winter so I'm thinking ahead of what I plan to knit over the next few months. Last summer I found it just too hot to knit wool, my favorite fiber, but I really dislike cotton and other non-resilient yarns. I still have some in my stash which I have to get through some time.

So I'm thinking that for the next couple of months, before it gets really hot, I'm going to attack my heavy wools, mohairs and other yarns which will be too hot to have on my lap later. Then I'll go on to lighter weight wools and blends. Or perhaps I'll have to knit only smallish things like socks. I have a huge sock yarn stash, so there's plenty to keep me going. Somewhere in there I'll pick up the dreaded cotton and try to get it done. I have some patterns which look very appealing.

What are you going to knit? Or will you take a break from knitting and just bask in the sun?

Cheryl

GreysMom
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  08:46:55 AM  Show Profile Send GreysMom a Private Message
A break? No way! Gotta knit all the time, no matter the season. As for summer, A/C is a wonderful thing, especially here in AZ where it gets so, so hot. As for summer knitting, I think I'll be doing lots of socks, but I may take a crack at a few cotton tanks this year.

I don't care for knitting with cotton much either, but I think a lot of that may be due to the type of cotton yarn I've used in the past. This year, I think I'll look for better quality cottons and maybe some nice cotton blends and see if that helps. I made about a dozen shells last summer, but didn't use cotton. I used (eeek!) Lion Brand Microspun because I had bought a ton of it and wanted to use it up. It was in no way enjoyable to knit with, but the colors were very bright and I did a lot of stranded knitting with it.

This year, I'll definitely do some cotton, just not kitchen cotton.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  1:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
Got a few shell patterns I'm planning to make and few cute little hats.
Still got some charity stuff to do.
Plan to knit thru every season, so the heat will not stop me.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
WIP: 4 FO: 0
Finished Patchworks Squares: 7
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  1:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
Once I finish one of my WIP's, I really ought to get started on Sally's Favorite Summer Sweater from "The Knit Stitch". I bought the yarn last June -- Takhi Cotton Classic -- and swatched already. Just need to get motivated!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Iknitoo
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  1:35:41 PM  Show Profile Send Iknitoo a Private Message
I am expecting "The Knit Stitch" any day now...so I'm excited about this "Favorite Summer Sweater" that you mentioned. I would also like to make a tank, perhaps the ChicKnit Tank...has anyone tried this pattern? I like the way it hugs (gently) the body and has a choice of straps. I'm thinking of using the Rowan Calmer...pricey but I have noticed that the better quality cottons, especially those combined with another quality fiber...are great fun to knit with. I hardly miss wool...well, yes I do miss wool, but can't wear it in the summer!

Nickie
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  2:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Nickie, I'm doing the sleeves on that now, I'm liking it. I used Reynold's saucy sport and got enough to do the whole thing for $30. (Gotta love it.)

My next projects are looking like sport-weight wool and possibly Noro. (Gotta finish what I'm working on first, but I spent last week doing swatches.) But I've got AC so I'm safe. For take-alongs, I think I might finally start on those socks I've been meaning to try.

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  3:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
We are going into winter. Last summer (ie January) I knitted tanks and shells in Ramie and wool blend and cotton/acrylic blend. I did have a jumper in wool on the go but had to put it down on the warmer days.

The best thing I did in summer was stash building for all those things to knit for the rest of the year. Great bargains available in summer.

Wen

2004 stats: 5 FO, 5 WIP, 15 wool purchased. 2 frogpond
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  03:32:26 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I would like to try a cotton shell and making some socks

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  04:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I have 2 Colinette Ab Fab kits waiting for summer. I am going to make one in stripes and the other in blocks. I'm not sure what else - probably a lot of socks and I'll move from baby to toddler sweaters. I have always done most of my knitting in the summer since I always seem to have more time. This has actually been the first year I have knit so many things over the winter.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  05:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I'm going to let my Knitting Muse speak to me...I have enough to keep me busy for a while, and yarn for a zillion pairs of socks. I want to make another simple pullover, though -- after I finish the Elsebeth Lavold cardigan I am working on. I am finally enjoying it now that I have figured it out!

Jane
-- on the end of
Long Island, New York

Go to Top of Page

kimt
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  06:14:56 AM  Show Profile Send kimt a Private Message
I will be working on a sweater that I started 2 years ago. I fininshed knitting all the pieces and then discovered that I could not sew the shoulders together. I guess I got the gauge wrong. But, I like the pattern and I'm ready to try again. As a back up for more portable projects I'll be making socks with Sockotta that I just purchased. I also have some Socka in my stash.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  08:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I hope to do the master knitter course starting this summer, and socks, afghan squares, and some cotton or cotton blend wraps. I adjust to the warmed weather, but don't let it keep me from knitting.

Linda, knitting away in MD
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  09:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I'm going to work on baby things and lace for the next couple of months, and then when it starts to get hot I'm going to focus on all of that sock yarn I've got in my stash.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  11:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
My husband called me less than an hour ago to tell me we'll be transferred back to the mainland by fall. In knitting terms, that means I will be knitting wool all summer in the hopes I do not freeze solid when encountering my first winter in 10 years. Wool socks, wool jackets, wool jumpers, wool gloves and mittens. No Christmas knitting for ANYONE this year. I'm keeping it all.

Oh, this so sucks.
Julie

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  11:50:27 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I'm impressed with all the projects-in-waiting. I imagined lots of knitters taking time to smell the roses, but not here!

Having decided that I don't want to knit cotton has one great advantage - it cuts out all summer yarn buying.

Julie - where will you be located? You could be in the south where you won't have much need for gloves and mittens.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  1:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Cheryl, I've lived in Hawaii for 10 years. Last time I visited Ohio in May, I was wearing sweat shirts and jeans and heavy boots while everyone local ran about in shorts, barefoot. So unless we wind up in Key West (ha- I should be so lucky), I'm going to need something warm. We're probably going to wind up in Norfolk, VA. We lived there before moving here, and I remember thinking it was pretty cold, last time around.

And since then, I busted most of the bones in my right hand, which will add a lovely cold-sensitivity problem to the whole experience.

At least it's not Alaska. Let's all keep repeating that.
Julie

Go to Top of Page

HRH the Knitting Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  5:17:31 PM  Show Profile Send HRH the Knitting Queen a Private Message
So many choices, so little time...

I always have charity knitting. I am trying to build up a little inventory of caps and booties for last minute gift giving, also. I want to make some socks for Christmas gifts, but other than that, don't really know. I'll try and think of something.

2004 Stats: FO - 6, WIP - 5
Charity Caps & Booties Sets completed - 9
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  09:27:49 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
I've always got socks going. I've been making open knit shopping bags from cotton, which works really well in summer. Last summer I made a lightweight sweater (remember Sitcom Chic?) from a cotton-alpaca blend--really worked well.

Warm weather doesn't stop me--I took knitting to Mexico with me and will again this year! Small projects, of course.

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  1:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
I hope to finish the Kilimanjaro Kat Shawl I have been working on for nearly a year now, and maybe start the Landscape Shawl that I have "nightfall" colored Koigu (not it's name, but that's what it looks like to me) in the stash for.

I also hope to make a second Sitcom Chic cardigan - again, I have 1824 Cotton in stash for this, and if I finish that one, I might buy more 1824 cotton in yet another color for a third. (I teach summers and often the A/C is cranked up so high that some kind of little cardigan is a necessity).
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  2:30:50 PM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
Julie, I can relate. I'm from Hawaii and had to come to the VT/NH area for school. It's cold. Period.

I'll be working on a couple of heavy sweaters myself all the way through. Other small projects, too but I want a couple of new sweaters for the next Great Freeze.

Cheryl, have you tried kntting with one of those fold up trays over your lap? It may provide you enough air circulation that you can still knit with heavy wool and not be too hot. The heat part's not really an issue for me, but I like the portability of it. Can keep it all "spread out" and still pick it up easily when I want out from under it.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  3:12:06 PM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
I want to finish the cotton shell I started last summer (or was that 2 summers ago). Only have 1/2 the front neckline shaping and some finishing on the armholes, neckline to do. Seems like I should find time to do that. My best friend is having a baby in July so I'm going to knit up the overalls I bought to make for her last baby (who is now 3). And I am guessing some socks. And to be a matyr I'll probably end up working on an afghan for a friends of my's wedding (poor planning for not starting earlier on that one!).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?