Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 what will you be knitting this summer?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  9:48:43 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
What have I knit this past summer as we are now heading into winter in Aus.

a Colinette cardigan - Abruzzi in Giotto
the Zoe cardigan from Jo Sharp no.3 in a rayon/viscose/cotton blend (yes Tam - I have sewn it up)
various small wool projects - hats, scarves for overseas relatives but then luckily I have air con

Cotton can't be the only other yarn for summer to knit up. Colinette have lots of different summer-friendly yarns and what about the nice linen/rayon/cotton blends or the smooth tape yarns for making summer tanks and short-sleeve tops ?? I can't name brands as the ones we have in Aus are all different to yours but I'm sure there must be something else out there apart from just cotton

Diana
On a yarn diet
Only purchased two skeins since Feb 9, 2004
Go to Top of Page

marilydic
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  08:12:28 AM  Show Profile Send marilydic a Private Message
New England is slow to start this year in the warming trend....in fact we've been getting drowned the past three days in a downpour, april showers bring may flowers...

In the que for when it does finally warm up some (past 50) I've got a wedding shawl for a friend to work on, which I'm working on anyway. The shawl out of the FCEK Spring 04 issue, nice and easy for the brain-dead days/evenings, and I've got a Jaeger shell I'm going to do out of their ribbon yarn, I generally don't like ribbon yarn, but this one was in a good color, so I got it. Those are the planned things anyway...I'm sure a few uplanned projects will crop up too!

mari
Go to Top of Page

FROGDANDY410
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  07:49:55 AM  Show Profile Send FROGDANDY410 a Private Message
I am finishing Arabella cami from Rowan and will start the Shimmer Shrug from winter knitty next in Rowan dk cotton . after that i plan to use to make the number 1 laced bodice design in VK and the number 9 design cardie. Then if i have time i will make Audrey from the spring Rowan book, but that one can wait for Autumn/late summer.
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  2:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Finishing a cotton pullover and a wool cardigan (The Dale sweater from Hell), and then starting a loose jacket thingie out of sport weight wool. (I go from AC to heat and humidity, back and forth, all day, so those light wool jackets work great.)

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  4:00:44 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
Frogdandy [great name, btw] I think the Rowan jumpers are brilliant.
I'll be knitting: socks for father's day, a tank from chicknits, a`cardi that I have yet to design, a shawl from my stash

Daydreaming about black and white fitted cardis with 3/4 sleeves...
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  4:22:19 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Let's see: Zeeby's Bag from S & B, a summer poncho, Bob from Knitty, Sitcom Chic, and baby hats galore. I also want to get back into felting, even though it isn't a summery project. And, I want to do some open work long simple scarves...

PattiG
Atlanta
Go to Top of Page

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  4:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
This is my first summer of really being addicted to knitting- so I am looking forward to making a couple wool *gasp* sweaters for myself for the fall. A cardigan and v-neck out of Peace Fleece. And some socks. I love fall and winter so I can't wait! We have A/C so knitting inside won't be that bad.

I'd like to make a shell- something dressier for summer evenings but haven't found a pattern I like yet. Short-sleeved sweaters and lace both kinda freak me out- so I think I'll focus on stuff for the fall/winter, and maybe some holiday presents!

-Wendy
Go to Top of Page

GaiaDea
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  6:12:04 PM  Show Profile Send GaiaDea a Private Message
I'm starting this one:
http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/patterns/lpullovers/fbcprint.html
in Plymouth Colorspun DK 7304 I got at Smiley's
and doing lots of socks!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

jj1150
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  5:57:21 PM  Show Profile Send jj1150 a Private Message
For some odd reason, I am just reading this thread for the first time today

Right now I am working on my first shawl ... a latticework shawl from the "Simple Knits" book done in Manos (a deep blue/purple color) ... I am about half done!!

I have a pair of koigu socks to finish ... and then I have about 5 simple short-sleeved sweaters to tackle ... but being summer, I will probably be spending most of my time in the garden (I have about 35 roses and several other perenniels) .. but will try get in some knitting later in the evening.

Hope to get at least one of these sweaters done!! My problem ... I keep seeing cute patterns and keep buying yarn/patterns ... I really need to start on these!!

jody
Go to Top of Page

GaiaDea
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  10:23:05 PM  Show Profile Send GaiaDea a Private Message
That's so cool jj! We just put in another 6 rose bushes yesterday! One of them is the George Carlin rose--pale yellow with splash spots of red! I like to knit while DH digs the holes, as I can plan a garden, but have a black thumb myself. Its so nice to sit on the porch swing and look up at the roses blooming! And the tank top is in colors that match our roses too!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  05:17:19 AM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
i'm making two tanks, and i'm going to get into some spinning and dyeing of sockyarn. i recently bought the twisted sisters sock book, and i'm thoroughly fascinated with the dyeing and spinning part, as well as all the cool patterns they've got. my sons saw the book, and read it while we were driving some where, and now they want to dye, spin, and knit as well! and we aren't past basic cast on/knit yet, so i'm not sure about it, but maybe i'll try the 2 circ method with them. i dont' mind dp's myself, but i can't imagine trying to teach them to manage the "porcupine", lol! granted, all of this has to wait for me to settle into my new house, sigh.
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein.
Go to Top of Page

Sportweight
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  11:59:06 AM  Show Profile Send Sportweight a Private Message
I'm finishing my 3rd sleeveless cotton sweater and making lots of cotton washcloths for gifts. I want to make Sally's Favorite Summer Sweater, too. I also plan to make four placemats for my kitchen table. I recently bought some beautiful mohair/wool boucle in shades of pink, mauve and purple (sale), but it's too hot where I live to even think about wool for a while. When it gets cooler, this yarn will become a shawl. I have some baby yarn left over from a baby blanket and I want to knit my first baby sweater. That should keep me occupied for a while.

Sportweight

"I knit; therefore, I am."
Go to Top of Page

jennywhite
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  4:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jennywhite's Homepage Send jennywhite a Private Message
I'm noticing a lot of people saying that they don't like knitting with cotton. I guess I can understand... it is different and not always super fun to knit with. HOWEVER, I just got this cotton yarn at my LYS (making a black tank top with pink eyelash edging at the neck and arm holes) and it is fabulous. It's egyptian cotton (leemie check this here label)and it's Klaus Koch Kollektion (wow, okay, it's "KKK" yarn, it actually has a kkk logo, this is creeping me out) and it's called clip. I did really like knitting with it until I just looked at the tag and scared myself! lol.

~jenny
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  10:00:35 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Quickly trying to finish off my heavy wool projects before I can't stand to have them in my lap. This weekend it has been HOT here.... I think in the 70's. We have had frigid weather all April until now.

On my radar for summer knitting are a Bergère de France free cardi pattern (already swatched) and a Bergère tank top from last year's spring/summer book. I may make a pair of Highland dance socks as well. I found working with Shetland jumperweight yarn is tolerable even in front of the pool.

One reason I like working with cotton in the summer is you can take most cottons to the beach and not worry about the sand as much as other fibres. I don't think I'll have much time for beach knitting this year but who knows.

Now I just have to figure out an easy portable Little League practise knitting project. Maybe the sleeves for one of my current projects.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

FROGDANDY410
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  10:17:36 AM  Show Profile Send FROGDANDY410 a Private Message
personally I prefer cotton to all other fibers, it's comfortable to wear, doesn't itch and comes in so many different weight that i can use it winter or summer. And now you can find wool and cotton mixtures it's even better cause you get the best of both worlds. Actually... thinking of it, i also prefer summer knitting to winter knitting.
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  6:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I have already started my summer projects. I have some socks to make for my family as Christmas gifts. I just finished a scarf made with Opal sock yarn. I hope to start a cotton tank. It's a little too warm here in Southern California for wool. I will keep knitting booties and hats for the hospital and there is a never ending request for hats from my two step-sons. They live in Oregon and practically live in the Noro beanies I send them!

Megann, in sunny southern CA
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2674 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  7:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Summertime is sock knitting time for me - I'll probably do five or six pairs (maybe try that Koigu that's been waiting for me...) I have a couple of afghan square projects that I work on in the summer too... here in Boston it just gets too muggy to have the hot wool of a sweater sitting on my lap. I do want to start a couple of sweaters for me, maybe that silk/wool Viking Knits yarn won't be too hot?

Julie, I'm sorry you are getting kicked out of paradise! Any word on where you will land yet?

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Yarnalicious
Chatty Knitter

104 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  9:33:39 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnalicious a Private Message
I'll be working on a big blankie for my daughter in Tahki Classic Cotton. I think working with cotton will be a good thing, as we don't have AC. Maybe some socks too and a cute little tank for myself.

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  9:56:54 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
After going through my stash, I think I'll adapt the flower face cloths by Melanie Fallick for my knitting machine. My cotton chenille is using up a lot of space, and I can use up a lot quickly by making the petals on the machine and then joining them and knitting the centre on my circs. I always have socks on the go - it's like I don't count them as projects anymore; they're extensions of my hands!

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

FROGDANDY410
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  10:52:03 PM  Show Profile Send FROGDANDY410 a Private Message
i am completely overwhelmed by my summer knitting. it has all gone darstically wrong. I finished the rowan arabella cami and it was a perfect fit. that is it was perfect until i added the crochet border around the back/neck and should. now the whole thing has puckered up and when i put it on it's like i'm wearing a straight jacket. i hate the sight of the blooming thing. i've thrown it in the laundry basket in disgust for now and i can't even entertain the idea of frogging it. But Bonne Marie Burns has sent me her new gigi pattern and i've started Fluffa's peppermint twist sweater from stitcch & beach....and a ribbon scarf for my mum. i'm trying to stay zen.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 7.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?