Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 what will you be knitting this summer?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Iknitoo
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  11:38:50 AM  Show Profile Send Iknitoo a Private Message
Frogdandy! Wow...throwing that cami in the laundry basket must have been a huge disappointment for you...why not just pull out the crochet part and run a lovely little silk ribbon thru the edges...color of your choice...leave a tiny bow with long strings off-center on the front. I love the new Gigi BMB pattern! Do you think that would be too hard for a first time sweater? I like the fitted look especially. What ribbon are you using for the mum scarf? I really like knitting with ribbon type yarns.

Nickie
Go to Top of Page

Iknitoo
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  11:39:29 AM  Show Profile Send Iknitoo a Private Message
woops!
Go to Top of Page

Iknitoo
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  11:41:43 AM  Show Profile Send Iknitoo a Private Message
woops!
Go to Top of Page

rl1323
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  09:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit rl1323's Homepage Send rl1323 a Private Message
Same stuff I work on the rest of the year. Socks, hats, mittens, sweaters and vests. Mostly wool, some alpaca from the stash that wants to be an E Lavold vest. Like many I have knitted with cotton but I don't enjoy it. And the results can be heavy and if not constructed very carefully tend to droop and stretch. I think if I lived in a hotter climate I might have different preferences. But its not hot much here in the lake country of western NY.
Rebecca

turn that television off.
Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  09:17:12 AM  Show Profile Send nellcm a Private Message
i hope to make a cotton shell or tank. i don't like knitting with cotton and haven't had good luck with it, but it's been years so i'm hoping i'll be more successful with some of the new cotton yarns. does anyone have any recommendations for good cotton yarn?

i'm also going to start in on christmas knitting: a christmas stocking for new grandbaby due may 8th, and christmas sweaters for 8 grandkids. happily they are all 8 and under.
Go to Top of Page

bbraasch47@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  09:39:40 AM  Show Profile Send bbraasch47@yahoo.com a Private Message
I just finished a class with Lucy Neatby. What a designer she is. I will be knitting a scarf with a design she calls "Emporer's new clothes. I have two baby sweaters in the works along with a sweater I am finishing up for my husband. Unlike some of my knitting cohorts, I knit throughout the year. Knitting is not just for the winter anymore thank goodness. :)
Go to Top of Page

Purlygates
New Pal

27 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  09:57:17 AM  Show Profile Send Purlygates a Private Message
The snow is gone and ice on the lakes appears to be going out any day now--Northern Maine's definition of spring. But as I tell my friends, I look better in a snow suit than a bathing suit so I am content.

Summer knitting dreams contain cotton shells, fancy scarves and charity newborn hats and sweaters. Actually, summer must be close for I am already knitting everything but the shells!

Patty

To Knit Is To Know a Little Peace of Heaven
Go to Top of Page

snipaw@cableone.net

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:22:13 AM  Show Profile Send snipaw@cableone.net a Private Message
Socks, socks and more socks! Provided I can figure out how to turn that blasted heel? I do have one sweater that I'm working on. Since I live in Idaho, it gets VERY HOT out here, so you tend to be in A/C places alot..so, I figure my sweater will travel around with me and be finished in time for fall? It's the first sweater I've ever knitted, so I'm quite happy with it.

Cheers,
Elle
Go to Top of Page

mec
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:39:12 AM  Show Profile Send mec a Private Message
I do live in Alaska, Anchorage to be specific, and I knit with whatever comes to hand without minding the seasons. I'm working on finishing Cheryl Oberle's African vest while I watch the snow melting in my backyard. Then I'm starting a Dr. Who scarf for my son, but I think I will intersperse this mindless knitting with some lace scarves and felted hats.
Go to Top of Page

pateb40@earthlink.net

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:49:06 AM  Show Profile Send pateb40@earthlink.net a Private Message
My husband and I do camp hosting for the National Forest in Idaho and I am taking a bin full of worsted yarns to make scarfs for Christmas Presents. Pateb40
Go to Top of Page

gailmowry
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:54:26 AM  Show Profile Send gailmowry a Private Message
I feel like Christmas is just around the corner and I need to start on presents in order to keep up with my expanding family. I am knitting a shell of kool knit yarn, a scarf from Trendsetter using Flora and Aura yarns, the Touch-of-fur scarf from Kathleen Taylor's Knit One, Felt Two book using Pendleton yarn which I got from ebay and Firenze, (I will make a matching bag and mittens to go with it) and am half way done with the Velma sweater from Hollywood Knits by Suss Cousins. I have made a pledge to myself not to start anything new until these are all finished. But I do have some soy silk yarn comming in the mail, that I must put away until all other projects are done. Right!
Go to Top of Page

aoedecmj
Chatty Knitter

128 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  11:02:12 AM  Show Profile Send aoedecmj a Private Message
I'm also going to be jumping in on Christmas gifts. I recently made a poncho from the winter issue of Vogue knitting. I used red heart (gasp!) light and lofty and on thirteens, it only took me a week and a half! Everyone LOVES mine so I figure giving them out as presents will be a big hit. Plus, the yarn being so cheap, it'll be way affordable.
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  11:18:54 AM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by nellcm

i hope to make a cotton shell or tank. i don't like knitting with cotton and haven't had good luck with it, but it's been years so i'm hoping i'll be more successful with some of the new cotton yarns. does anyone have any recommendations for good cotton yarn?

I share your feelings regarding cotton - as much as I love cotton garments, I didn't enjoy knitting with it . What's turned me around are the cotton-blends, specifically Rowan All Seasons Cotton (60/40 - cotton, acrylic) and Rowan Calmer (75/25 - cotton, microfibre). I plan on trying out the Wool Cotton (50/50) next. I'm glad I tried something else before throwing in the towel LOL!

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  11:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Socks, Shells and shawls for me. And I will probably be spinning some plant fibers this summer as well.

I spent the weekend dying quite a bit of cotton yarn, silk cotton top, as well as some linen top. Unfortunately, the weather is damp and cool, so that plant fibers are taking FOREVER to dry.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  12:53:30 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
Socks for me to wear next winter and two cotton shells for my grand-daughters. Anything else that takes my fancy and that will reduce my stash. Just found some pretty rainbow variegated yarn and can't tell what that will make until I have made several swatches to see how the repeats look. I simply can't wait to get my needles into that.

Margaret in South Carolina
Go to Top of Page

virtualpurl
Gabber Extraordinaire

409 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  1:41:19 PM  Show Profile Send virtualpurl a Private Message
I want to finish a bunch of stuff (a shell, a sweater, a bag to felt and a few others.) Then I intend to make a summer cardigan in a really pretty cotton/acrylic yarn (Bertagna Filati's Stile) that I just bought in the Patternworks sale. My big summer project is to plan and make (or at least start) an afghan for my son. I'm going to make it in squares, so knitting it shouldn't feel too oppressive even though it's wool.

Sometime soon I also want to make a sweater for my DH but I don't have a good plan for it yet. It needs to be fairly bulky (so I have a prayer of finishing it) but not too warm because he's always hot. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

literaryfairy
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  4:52:40 PM  Show Profile Send literaryfairy a Private Message
A light, airy poncho! I'm starting to see ponchos on mannequins' and women's shoulders here there and everywhere in Manhattan (esp since the weather finally started warming up!), and I decided instead of purchasing one, I was going to make one myself (I'm hoping it'll be the first project that I make for myself that I'll actually end up wearing on a regular basis!). Picked up some cotton angora yarn (Debbie Bliss) in a spring green color from String on the UES, and am following a pattern that involves dropped stitches...I'm actually really excited to do the binding off/dropping stitches part, since I've never done it before, and it looks really cool afterwards.

If this poncho thing really works out, I would love to next crochet one in a creamy white yarn (something "fuzzier"...maybe mohair or angora). If anyone has a crochet pattern for a poncho (something floral would be great)...please pass it on!
Go to Top of Page

knittymom
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  5:55:31 PM  Show Profile Send knittymom a Private Message
Hi all!
I'm surprised to hear a lot of others don't enjoy working with cotton. I thought I was just being fussy. Maybe I'll try one of the blends mentioned-- always up for an excuse to add to my "yarn collection"

I've got a color block cartigan to finish for my 2 year old and then, hopefully before it gets too warm, I'm going to knit a sweater for myself <gasp>. Planning to try my hand at a lopi. But before it gets too warm, usually after Memorial Day here, I'll start a summer collection of socks. Easy to carry around on vacation.

I enjoyed reading everyone's responses...
TTFN,
Sharilyn

"A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hence, my yarn stash ceases to be a pile of yarn when I contemplate it, bearing within me the image of a sweater to keep a loved one warm on a cold winter's day.
Go to Top of Page

Dalat
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  03:05:38 AM  Show Profile Send Dalat a Private Message
Have you tried Laurel from Shaefer Yarn? 100 percent mercerized pima cotton. Wonderfully soft and great color. My favorite color is Frida Kahlo! But I am about to knit a tank with Margaret Mead.

Thanh
Go to Top of Page

Sportweight
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  04:55:51 AM  Show Profile Send Sportweight a Private Message
Goddess Yarns "Hayden" is a nice cotton blend, 85% cotton/15% silk. It has a lovely sheen and feels great in your hands. I'm such a newbie that I didn't realize other folks had trouble with cotton, too. I tend to knit a little too loose and cotton is rather stretchy. I live in the southern US and it's so warm here that cotton is a year-round fabric. Only a couple of months of the year are cool enough for wool. I do plan to try knitting sweaters from one of the cotton/wool blends, however.

Sportweight

"I knit; therefore, I am."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by