Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 knitting on airplanes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

roseannrodeschini
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  08:02:56 AM  Show Profile Send roseannrodeschini a Private Message

Does anyone know if you are allowed to knit on an airplane.
I am not a "good" flyer, and would like to knit on the flight to keep my mind off the flight. Am I allowed to bring wooden knitting needles onto a plane?

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  08:10:32 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Do a KR search on the topic and you will see so many different answers! I've managed to get on with 3 socks on MAgic Loop whilst others have not been able to take on DPN.

If worse comes to worse, use my trick; just knit with pencils. Even if you rip it all out later at least your hands are busy and the aviation security is happy.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  09:26:03 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
I wen tthrough security at Orlando, one of the tightest in the country. A visual search of my carryon revealed a sock working on bamboo DPNs. (No scissors, no metal stitch holders - nothing but yarn, needles and a pattern.) No one even glanced up to see if I looked suspicious, and it all passed. I've taken damboo dpns on several times and never had difficulty. BUT things are different on overseas flights, especially on non-US carriers. Also, don't bother calling your airline for info. They have nothing to do with it, despite what people say. It's the Transportation Safety Agency, aka the TSA.

But Mokey is right - please check the archive for topics. We've talked about this a lot here.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

jennywhite
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  11:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit jennywhite's Homepage Send jennywhite a Private Message
Mokey, I love the pencil idea! :)
Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  12:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
The TSA (Transportation Safety Authority) lifted the ban on knitting needles and crochet hooks in November of 2002. That's oh TWO. This news has unfortunately not caught up with all the various airline employees, but I have yet to have an actual problem. I did get a "NO, of course not" when I called Southwest to find out if I could take knitting on board, but then sailed onto the plane with my knitting, as I have many times since. Got to www.tsa.gov and print out the list of things that are now allowed and carry it with you. I also suggest that you stick to bamboo circulars or dpns....they just don't show up on the screening equipment, and even if they are noticed, they are just non-threatening.
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  12:54:28 PM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
HI! I would like to let you know that yes you can take knitting needles on airplanes, all planes anywhere in the US. I am a Flight Attendant for 32 years and always have my knitting with me and I use all different types of needles including metal. You can also take a pair of children's small blunt round nose scissors. I put my scissors on a string and when it's my turn for security screening I pull them out and show the attendant at the beginning of the screening process and then leave them on top of my bag as they go through the machine. Just make sure that they are the kindergarten variety. The TSA screeners appreciate being shown the scissors and that they are attached and easily accessible for them. I also have to tell you all that many of our passengers think we are allowed special privledges but that is not true at all. We have all had FBI background checks but must all abide by the check point rules just as our passengers do. So-when you see us knitting in the departure lounge waiting for our next flight pull out your knitting and join in!

PJ
Go to Top of Page

jennywhite
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  1:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jennywhite's Homepage Send jennywhite a Private Message
PJ, thanks for the inside info :)
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  3:09:59 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
PJ, the last time I flew we were not allowed to bring even baby scissors, or even a nail clipper WITHOUT a file. I know that staff have separate screening facilities, so maybe it's easier for you to get them on.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  07:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
From everything I have heard and read, it greatly depends on the individual people involved in the screening and the airline staffs. Sometimes, you can get on with everything - metal needles, scissors all of that - and other times, you get stopped and have bamboo needles confiscated.

It's also my understanding that British Airways is even stricter and does confiscate needles.

If I were flying? If I wanted to have knitting at my destination, I'd pack it in my checked bags (or mail it ahead of time, or buy supplies there) and take a really good, really absorbing book to read on the plane. But then again, I'm not the kind of person who likes to be involved in any kind of a "scene" and I would find it upsetting to have a screener challenge me and my needles in front of a lot of other (impatient) folks waiting on-line.

I wish it were more consistent. I don't fly, partly because of some horror-stories I've heard from friends about how they were treated by screeners (and they weren't trying to bring scissors on board or anything like that).

I expected after the horrible Madrid bombing that Amtrak would beef up security, but I've not heard anything. (I travel Amtrak regularly). Amtrak doesn't even screen hand-luggage, and it's rare that they make me show my ID with my ticket. (Although I hope they don't go too strict. The day Amtrak bans knitting is the day I start driving the 12 hours when I go visit my parents...can't imagine sitting for 12 hours + on a train without knitting.)
Go to Top of Page

kokopelmana
Chatty Knitter

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  2:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kokopelmana's Homepage  Send kokopelmana a Yahoo! Message Send kokopelmana a Private Message
Lemons, thanks for the info on Orlando. I'm flying into there to meet a ship in Port Canaveral in September and very much looking forward to bringing my knitting with me. However, I'll make sure to bring an envelope for mailing home and an extra project in my checked baggage, just in case. I don't want to miss the opportunity to knit on deck while watching the world sail by.

Kelly

"Be here now." - Ram Dass
Go to Top of Page

eilene
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  3:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit eilene's Homepage Send eilene a Private Message
Yes. The last 3 times I have flown, I took my knitting. It is wonderful knitting on a plane. It takes your mind off of flying which makes time fly by. Have fun!!

Eilene
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  3:51:32 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
From what I've read, it really does depend on the individual TSA screener. I haven't brought any knitting with me on trips to avoid getting stopped & having my bamboo needles confiscated. I can always just read on the flights. However, I may bring some knitting this time, but bring a box in case I need to mail it back or check it in.

Thanks for the Orlando security information, lemons. I'll be flying out of there in a few weeks & wasn't sure how strict they were.
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  3:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
When in doubt, DON'T bring any knitting that you can't bear to have ruined. On another forum I read of a woman who had her needles confiscated.......but that wasn't the worst of it. She had many, many hours into a complicated lace sweater pattern and the uncaring (perhaps just not understanding) security personel just yanked the needle right out of the project without giving the woman a chance to "save" the project on a piece of yarn or something. She consequently lost the whole thing as it was just too complicated to pick up. :-(

-Marlene-
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  10:33:44 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Yankeknitter, thanks for that URL. There's a flight in our future, so the info is very handy..

I sure like KR. It's a little gift from Heaven.
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  05:02:49 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
Hi it's me again, I was off flying and couldn't respond to your comments on nail cutters etc... Yes there was a time in the first year after 9/11 that you couldn't bring any type of cutting article.You should have seen the grown men on board try to open bottles of wine for me with their pens! It was a real hoot! Everyone drank wine with bits of cork in it. Things have been reviewed and sometings have been relaxed, including the kiddie scissors. Just go to the TSA site and print up the items allowed. If you encounter a problem just ask for a review by a supervisor. In the beginning I also had several screeners try to confiscate my scissors, but each time the supervisor said they were indeed allowed. Now the rule has been in effect long enough that new screeners are trained on it and those that were employed during the change to allow the scissors have been brought up to date. I also was not kidding about Flight Attendants being required to adhere to ALL the same regulations that our passengers are subjected to. We don't get any special priveledges or allowances. If you can't carry it on board, neither can we. In the beginning I had several of the screeners cut my scissors off of their tether, but each time the supervisor corrected their actions. One day I pulled my scissors out of the pocket on my carry on bag and layed them on top of the bag for the screeners to review (they have to see how big they are and that they don't have sharp points) and a lady started pointing at me and screeming really loudly "SHE HAS SCISSORS, SHE HAS SCISSORS!!!" It was so comical, I know she didn't know the rule had changed, but she just came unglued and started screeming and hopping up and down and saying I had to be arrested and it was all we could do not to laugh. So we do follow the rules very strictly- we are in BIG BIG trouble if we try to take a banned item on board (even possible firing). So knit away on board, and feel free to carry your little kiddie blunt nose scissors, but do put them where the screeners can see them easily so you eliminated the possibility of a bag search. If they can see them they won't have to search your bag to see them.
Happy flying
PJ
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  09:24:21 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wovenflame

On another forum I read of a woman who had her needles confiscated.......but that wasn't the worst of it. She had many, many hours into a complicated lace sweater pattern and the uncaring (perhaps just not understanding) security personel just yanked the needle right out of the project without giving the woman a chance to "save" the project on a piece of yarn or something. She consequently lost the whole thing as it was just too complicated to pick up. :-(

-Marlene-

That would be an absolute nightmare! I know that they are just doing their job to stop these things, but that's just rude. When people pull stuff like that, I just think that's their own little power trip.
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  11:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
you know, this is sort of unrelated but:

isn't it sad we have to live in a world where scissors are suspect? And where people will start screaming and jumping up and down like a three-year-old, insisting that the bearer of those scissors be arrested?

I swan, some days I think I'd be happier living in a cabin in the woods.
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  05:25:34 AM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
Here's the direct link to the TSA's list of Permitted and Prohibited items:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_12_18_2003.pdf

PJ is right. By now, the screeners know the rules. If there's an issue, ask for the supervisor. If the supervisor doesn't just wave you right through, you can be polite and ask if the rules have changed since you printed out this list that you happen to have right here, and ask if there is anything you should know and can do for the future. Asking is not challenging. Just have the pre-posted envelope ready just in case.

If you're scared about having needles ripped out of your work--which is asinine of a screener to do, but hey, I guess it happens--pre-thread the live stitches with holding yarn under the needle. You can knit in the car on the way, do that quickly, and have it all ready for screening. When you get through, whip that holding yarn out and go on about your merry way.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  08:34:02 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
One important caveat - more and more airports do not have mailboxes. Arrive early so that you can grovel with the airline to mail it back to you, unless you have checked baggage.

Monika

Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  08:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
Just flew Delta to Atlanta from Norfolk and back and had no problems at either airports security area or on the Delta flights with knitting needles...addi circular and bamboo straight with and without knitting on them.

My watch, on the other hand, set off the buzzer in Atlanta.... but not in Norfolk.

Linda in VA

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
http://www.eweknitkits.com
http://tkgv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Figaroz
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  09:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Figaroz a Yahoo! Message Send Figaroz a Private Message
Planning to give this a try on Friday. I'm flying Luftansia to Germany, so we will see. I plan to wait to cast on until I am on the plane (or at least past security) and then I plan to thread a piece of yarn through the last stitches still on the needle on my way back. That way, if they do yank out my needle, at least my socks won't be ruined. I plan to take small bamboo circulars. I'll let y'all know if I have problems!

Figs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.