Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What makes a person a knitter?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

jennywhite
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  12:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jennywhite's Homepage Send jennywhite a Private Message
I was thinking about this very question the other day and I couldn't figure out a definitive answer. The beauty of knitting is that it's a craft of the masses (as Debbie Stoller says in her book), but is knowing how to knit enough to make someone a knitter?
I was thinking about it again before my class started so I asked some of my classmates (most of whom are not knitters) and they said that a knitter has to have some proficiency in knitting techniques and what not.
I think that to be a knitter you can know how to only knit, purl, CO and BO, but you have to consider yourself a knitter. But that makes the "knitter" definition so very variable... but maybe that's what's great about this craft.

Any thoughts? All this thinking on my own just makes my head spin.

~Jenny

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  12:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
I agree that it's a matter of consideration.

I had a friend tell me the other week "I know how to knit but I'm not a 'knitter' like you are" meaning that she knows the basic skills but doesn't use them often, whereas I always have a project (or five) going on.

I also know a number of people who learned to knit and who know how, but the knitting bug didn't "take" for one reason or other.

I think it's a self-selecting thing - I wouldn't deign to say someone was "not a knitter" because they didn't knit "enough". I'd expect they would apply the label of "knitter" to themselves or not as they saw fit.

I consider myself a knitter, of course, but then maybe "knit obsessed" is a better tag for me. (I always have at least one project on the needles, a big chunk of my 'entertainment' budget goes to yarn and knitting books, it's a good day when a new issue of a knitting magazine is in the mailbox, I try to knit at least a little bit most days).
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  12:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
2 sticks + string x desire = knitter.

Jane
(on the end of
Long Island, NY)

Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  12:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
How 'bout:

if you think about knitting more often than you think about s*x

(and I don't mean Stash Enhancement eXperience)
Go to Top of Page

caramel93117
Chatty Knitter

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  12:50:59 PM  Show Profile Send caramel93117 a Private Message
I think that definitely qualifies, Fillyjonk! LOL!! :D

Melissa

"Take your needle, my child, and work your pattern--it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that...one stitch at a time taken patiently."--Oliver Wendall
Go to Top of Page

XavierMusketeer
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  12:59:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit XavierMusketeer's Homepage Send XavierMusketeer a Private Message
I think we could come up with a whole list of "...you might be a knitter" categories like Jeff Foxworthy's "...you might be a redneck" jokes.

Like, "If you look at someone's sweater and mentally knit the pattern...you might be a knitter."
"If the first ads you look for in the Sunday paper are the yarn sales...you might be a knitter."
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  1:47:51 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
If you grab yarn instead of duct tape, you might be a knitter.
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  2:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
If you are trying to learn crochet but you keep forgetting to move loops *off* the hook, you might be a knitter.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  4:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
If you have been caught in an elegant store's dressing room, down on the floor, measuring a sweater and writing down the measurements on your hand, you might be a knitter.
Go to Top of Page

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  5:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
I think the first dream I had in which I was knitting was when I knew I was a knitter. Now, I often dream of knitting- maybe because I don't get enough time awake to do it!

-Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  6:42:43 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
If you can't remember ever not being a knitter then you are definitely a knitter.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://au.f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 7 FOs, 2 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

prixby
Chatty Knitter

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  1:20:49 PM  Show Profile Send prixby a Private Message
Ok, *embarrassing moment alert*, if you find yourself staring at a female co-worker's ample bosom because you're trying to decide whether her beautiful feathery purple cowlneck sweater is handknit and if it uses short rows to fit her bust, you might be a knitter. (I keep waiting for her to wear the sweater again so I can ask her, but for some reason she's been avoiding me.)

prixby

Life is what happens while we're listening to music.
Go to Top of Page

jennywhite
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  1:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit jennywhite's Homepage Send jennywhite a Private Message
LOL prixby!! classic knitter moment!
If you give up going out to eat with your friends so you can buy more yarn, you might be a knitter.
If your stash takes up more room than your wardrobe, you might be a knitter.
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  1:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I think it's when you start imagining slipping a sweater or other knitted item on anything you happen to be looking at, a building, parking meter, tree, squirrel or whatever.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  3:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Hysterical - and I just found this website today:
http://www.bellaonline.org/Article.asp?id=755

My favorite is: When you have insomnia, you can't count sheep because the thought of all that wool gets you too excited.

But seriously I think it is a matter of self-description. It's not just knowledge of the process, or knowledge of a certain level of the process. If you choose to do it for enjoyment, for stress-release, or fun... if you see someone in the store and can tell she's wearing a handknit sweater, and ask if she made it, then explain that you're a knitter... you are.
"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  5:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jcc28

2 sticks + string x desire = knitter.

I think the main ingredient in that formula/recipe is "desire"...that leads to practice (aka 'addiction' ), which leads to proficiency!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  8:36:03 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
BF says; you know you're going into withdrawal when the dust bunnies start looking attractive.

happiness is highly underrated
Go to Top of Page

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  04:12:38 AM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message
quote:
Hysterical - and I just found this website today:
http://www.bellaonline.org/Article.asp?id=755

Amie, thanks for that website. Funny! My favorite was:
You know you're a knitter (author used words "fiber fanatic") if

"Your kids are named Kaffe, Cashmere, Aran and Intarsia."

Not my quote, of course. Credit to Eva Owsian!

Sue
Go to Top of Page

MijTink
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  07:05:29 AM  Show Profile Send MijTink a Private Message
If you are shipwrecked and using two sticks and hemp for something other than building a fire, you might be a knitter.

Jimbo

I'm being held prisoner in a huge yarn factory. Please send help!!! Umm, er, ...in a few years or so.
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  3:30:54 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
If you use 00DPNs in your voodoo doll, you might be a knitter.

happiness is highly underrated
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  4:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Guilty today of this one - "if tears are streaming down your face from the very moving Easter sermon, and you're also wondering what yarn made the sweater in front of you, you might be a knitter"

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?