Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What makes a person a knitter?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  4:42:04 PM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
If you have asked your SO to accompany you somewhere just so he could drive and you could get in the knitting time. Yep. Have done that.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  06:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
for me, I DON'T reach for yarn instead of duct tape.

my yarn is too precious to me to be used for mundane household repairs.

more "you might be a knitter if":

people at the doctor's office (or anywhere you go and have to wait regularly) are surprised when you show up without knitting, and actually ask you what's wrong.

you spend at least half of your "entertainment budget" on yarn.

the first thing you do when you find out that the annual conference you attend is in a certain city, is to look up where their yarn shops are.

if you take on extra work "on the side" so you can have extra money for a "yarn splurge"

if you look forward to fall because it means you can start wearing your wool garments again.

if you are in a meeting with someone who is a chronic leg-jiggler or pen-cap-snapper and you think "if I taught them to knit, I bet that would really calm them down"
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  5:47:47 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
You might be knitter if --

Your husband is begging you to go to bed at night, and you're saying "just one more row, just one more row . . ."

or

You're shopping with friends, and while they are walking into Macy's/Nordstrom's/Sak's Fifth Avenue, you are completely ignorning them because you just saw a new yarn shop!

or

You plan your vacation completely around what yarn shops or mills will be in the vicinity!

Got any more?

Kris

P.S. the previous ones made me laugh until I cried . . .
Go to Top of Page

Figaroz
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  8:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Figaroz a Yahoo! Message Send Figaroz a Private Message
Hmmm...I guess I am a knitter...over the weekend I was trying to help my dad cut down a tree. He was way up in the tree and dropped his small hand held saw. I don't know ANY knots, and he wanted me t tie it onto the rope so he could pull it up to him. I just used the basic cast-on stitch with the rope and sent it up!

Today, I had to tie a trailer ramp because the pins that are supposed to hold it are missing, and once again I used the cast on stitch!

:)

Figs
Go to Top of Page

kardeece@aol.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  8:49:25 PM  Show Profile Send kardeece@aol.com a Private Message
Hmmmmm - you know you're a knitter when:
- you want the next traffic light to turn red or pray for a traffic jam so you can complete some rows
- your workspace is your lunchtime knitting haven and one should not enter for fear of death
- instead of working, you're searching the web for yarn sites showing free patterns and pictures of yarn
- your next project is waiting for the present one to be completed
- you knit in planes, cars, immediately after dinner and hit evey yarn store wherever you may roam
- your new best friend is David Letterman cause you should have been asleep an hour ago but just HAD TO finish this one section

THERE'S MORE, IT'S LATE, DAVID LETTERMAN IS BORING AND I'M JUST ABOUT DAIN BREAD! NITE ALL ;O)
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  10:52:52 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
I gave up chocolate for Lent. On Easter Sunday, I derived more pleasure from knitting a sock than I did from eating chocolate. I think this makes me a knitter...

Daydreaming about black and white fitted cardis with 3/4 sleeves...
Go to Top of Page

Janine
Chatty Knitter

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  12:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Janine's Homepage Send Janine a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RoseByAny

Hysterical - and I just found this website today:
http://www.bellaonline.org/Article.asp?id=755

I love it! My favorites are:

When planning your vacation, you plot the course using the locations of the various yarn shops you want to visit along the way.

and,

Your husband mentions that his muscles are tight from all the tension at work, and you automatically tell him to try larger needles.

LOL! My husband is trying to schedule our honeymoon, but I keep nixing the dates he selects because they conflict with fiber festivals! I think that makes me a knitter, all right!

Janine

If I had a cool signature line like everyone else, this is where it would go. :-)
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  02:49:32 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Hey, Figs, that is called a half hitch.............LOL.

fran
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  09:51:30 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
How about if you go to the doctor's office and you get annoyed because they called you in too quickly and you didn't have time to get any knitting done in the waiting room?

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

littleturtlemama
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  11:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit littleturtlemama's Homepage Send littleturtlemama a Private Message
this is making me laugh so hard right now!!

how about when your 3 year old tells everyone that mama wants "knitting stuff" for her birthday, "cause all she ever does is that knitting thing!"

Theresa, knit-at-home mama to AJ, Ethan & Greg
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  12:31:25 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
I woke up this morning to find that it was snowing. I saw this as a good thing, as it provides an excuse to stay in and knit!

Daydreaming about black and white fitted cardis with 3/4 sleeves...
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2004 :  11:01:10 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I wish I had something witty to add to these, but I don't, so I'll go back to the serious aspect of the question. There are some who say you're not a knitter until you've made/done (fill in the blank). I think that if you can cast on, knit and bond off, and you consider yourself a knitter, you are.

I certainly call myself a knitter, and I've never:

made a complete sweater (actually, any fitted garment)
done cables or intarsia
spun or dyed my own yarn
sold anything

I'm slow, and I have a multitude of UFOs, but I'm a knitter!!!

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:

http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca
Go to Top of Page

VW_Chick1979
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  9:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Send VW_Chick1979 a Yahoo! Message Send VW_Chick1979 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by XavierMusketeer

I think we could come up with a whole list of "...you might be a knitter" categories like Jeff Foxworthy's "...you might be a redneck" jokes.

Like, "If you look at someone's sweater and mentally knit the pattern...you might be a knitter."

That is SOOOOOO me!!!!! Today at work a woman came in with a Tommy Hilfiger sweater on and I looked at it while she was digging her library card out and thought "hmm nice stockinette stitch, looks nice in that thick yarn..." and then I caught myself and said "I am WAAAAAY too obsessed!!!"

I'd think a knitter is someone who ENJOYS knitting, not just knits for the sake of knitting.

"If you go into Joann Fabrics and spend thirty dollars on yarn you don't know what you're going to make with it yet, you might be a knitter!"

Mary Jo
Norridge, IL
Go to Top of Page

VW_Chick1979
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2004 :  10:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Send VW_Chick1979 a Yahoo! Message Send VW_Chick1979 a Private Message
Oop, saw a couple more I had to comment on:

>- you want the next traffic light to turn red or pray for a traffic >jam so you can complete some rows

Again, so me! Actually I was stuck in line for the drive through lanes at the bank today and cursing myself for leaving my knitting project in the trunk (now that I'm finally becoming comfortable with actually taking my hands off the wheel when the car isn't in park). Instead I stuffed my face with the Hershey bar that wasn't in the trunk. Think I may need to reverse the location of items in the car in the future ;)

>- instead of working, you're searching the web for yarn sites showing >free patterns and pictures of yarn

Can't surf the net at work :( so I search the library catalog for more knitting books to request or I take advantage of the fact that I alone am alowed to go online for other library system's catalogs and search THEIR catalogs for knitting books to request.....

>if you take on extra work "on the side" so you can have extra money >for a "yarn splurge"

Thinking about it.... :D Need money for food, yarn, scrapbooking supplies, and the car fund. Mazda Miata here I come....if I don't spend the Mazda money on yarn.... ;)

I've also whipped out the knitting when my boyfriend brings me to this cybercafe he hangs out at with his buddies. Me, sitting in a cybercafe surrounded by teenage/early 20s aged guys all shooting the living daylights out of each other on a networked game, knitting like crazy. Annoys the guys to no end but I don't care! ;)

Mary Jo
Norridge, IL
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  04:56:55 AM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
Mary Jo!

Cool! You have the NERVE to knit while surrounded by a bunch of 20-something guys? The potential for them to take pot-shots at you about your knitting is HUGE, and yet you still knit on! You must have nerves of steel!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  05:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
I don't know...considering some of the 20-something guys I have in my classes, I think Mary Jo might be more likely to have some of the guys ask her "would you teach me how to do that?" instead.

you know you're a knitter when:

you dream about yarn and knitting and patterns, and are irritated when the alarm goes off because it means your dream comes to an end (this happened to me).

you look forward to proctoring exams (or any other usually-boring and not-heavy-thought-requiring task) because you can bring your knitting.

you'd rather stay home and finish the shawl you're working on than go to a party.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  06:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
My mother (who has been knitting for three days now) says that this is a bad thing, because she used to do housework when it rained (since she couldn't play in the garden) This week, she's been knitting.

My father may never get a home cooked meal again!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

rgaudreau
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  11:08:45 AM  Show Profile Send rgaudreau a Private Message
It is more than knit and purl, it is what you create and the love and energy that was put into that creation.
A true knitter for me is someone who goes beyond the basics. When I think of a knitters I know, I think of someone who has knitted the full spectrum of garmets and who has learn from experimenting with different stitches and patterns. They are the ones that I go with a problem and they usually have the answer.
Robert
Go to Top of Page

Frog Princess
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  11:32:18 AM  Show Profile Send Frog Princess a Private Message
I have done more of those "might be a knitter" things than I care to admit.

A couple of days ago I was bundling up smashed cardboard boxes for the recycle pickup, and couldn't find any twine. I used waste yarn....Never even thought of duct tape!

- Sylvan the Frog Princess
Go to Top of Page

shandido
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  11:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit shandido's Homepage Send shandido a Private Message
This isn't me, but I have heard of people who don't ever make actual items; they just swatch swatch swatch all the day long. That would definitely qualify one.
Or how about rewinding each skein of yarn three times in order to make sure you get the right tension... (again, not me...)
shannon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.