Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What makes a person a knitter?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

XavierMusketeer
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  12:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit XavierMusketeer's Homepage Send XavierMusketeer a Private Message
If you have yarn on your desk at work (And you don't work in a LYS). Yarn that you're not even knitting.
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  12:58:44 PM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
I got into the post office, and thought, "Drat. The line's not long enough to get in even one row!"

Yep. I'm a knitter.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

janile44

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  1:08:24 PM  Show Profile Send janile44 a Private Message
This thread is too funny! We've been thinking about moving, and my husband just told me last night he'd found a realtor who know about some houses we might like to look at in a city about 25 minutes from where we are now...and the first words out of my mouth were "Yowza, there's a great KNITTING STORE right in town there!"

Janile
Go to Top of Page

bbraasch47@yahoo.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  1:17:54 PM  Show Profile Send bbraasch47@yahoo.com a Private Message
To be a knitter or not to be. . . If all you want to do is learn how to knit a simple fun scarf and not anything else, you know how to knit, but if you want to challenge yourself a little more with each successive garment, stash yarn everywhere, keep your knit books and patterns within easy reach,and dream of your next 5 or more projects, then you are a knitter.
Go to Top of Page

lfinkel
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  3:24:54 PM  Show Profile Send lfinkel a Private Message
I love this thread, and I am laughing to think of how many of these "you know you're a knitter if..." statements fit me. I had my first really memorable knitting dream this winter, and I did hate to wake up. Right now, I am looking forward to a long (3 hour) drive tomorrow because I will be able to knit all the way...and already worrying about how much I will hate to stop when we get to the meeting we are heading for....you know you're a knitter when you miss your exit because you were supposed to be navigating and got too involved with your knitting.
Go to Top of Page

evanmaxon
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  4:01:30 PM  Show Profile Send evanmaxon a Private Message
If you've asked a co-worker to take off her sweater and you pop it in the photocopier so you have a record of the pattern, you might be a knitter.

If you root around in the trunk of your car and you can always find a UFO or the materials to start a new one, you might be a knitter.

Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  4:13:05 PM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by evanmaxon

If you've asked a co-worker to take off her sweater and you pop it in the photocopier so you have a record of the pattern, you might be a knitter.
[img]http://berg.heim.at/anden/420315/laugh.gif[/img]

You win.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  4:41:45 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
When you go out to dinner with your hubby and kids and bring your knitting bag so you can knit while you wait for the waiter to bring your dinner... Sue

~Knitting is a gift you give to yourself~
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  5:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Using cards and notes from the KR Boutique! :-)

-- Marg in Calgary

P.S. I just ordered a packet, and hang the postage and $$CAD!!

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  6:22:55 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
If youc heck KR's acive topics more often than you check email, you might be a knitter.

Daydreaming about black and white fitted cardis with 3/4 sleeves...
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  6:25:26 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
When you make the transition from being fascinated by the free patterns you find on the internet to being annoyed that they are so simplistic that you could of designed them yourself, that is when you pass into the next level of being a knitter.

Daydreaming about black and white fitted cardis with 3/4 sleeves...
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  7:03:01 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
Man, I LOVE you people!

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Monica
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  06:37:25 AM  Show Profile Send Monica a Private Message
You know you're a knitter when...
You're taking a walk in your neighborhood, and see a piece of trash with the word "Newport" on it, and you spend half a second being excited because maybe a knitter lives there before your brain catches up and tells you that it isn't a ball band, it is just an empty pack of cigarettes. And then you realize, of course, a knitter wouldn't litter.

And when you relate the story to your non-knitting husband, he just shakes his head in a sad way.
Go to Top of Page

juliebeans

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  06:41:01 AM  Show Profile Send juliebeans a Private Message
I would love to include everyone under the title of "knitter". Maybe we just need to include a description... I'm a beginning knitter, I'm an expert knitter. If I can clear a drain or change a faucet, does that make me a plumber?
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  06:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I have on my desk a tiny ball of yarn - it's about an inch around - that BessH spun for me out of the fiber I carded at the last retreat. The rest of the fiber itself (peacock blue wool, with a touch of lime green and magenta silk - sounds odd, but it's really lovely) is in the pocket of my raincoat, so I can reach in and feel it.

And if you (like me) didn't want the boss to give you a better computer, because the new one wouldn't give you enough time loading pages to knit... you might be a knitter.

(I hate this new computer!)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  06:51:30 AM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
If your favorite bathroom reading materials are knitting mags....

(Sorry if that's a little crude!)

Meg

2004 Stats: Finished: 2 sweaters, 1 felted bag
WIP: 3 sweaters, 1 sox
Next project planned: handspun baby alpaca cardigan
Go to Top of Page

aoedecmj
Chatty Knitter

128 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  07:11:45 AM  Show Profile Send aoedecmj a Private Message
Does it really matter what yarn you use or what patterns you can make or even how long you've been knitting? All of us who ply the needles, no matter how proficent or not, are knitters. Let's be a community that embraces all members, be them beginners, dabblers, or fanatics. I myself try to teach as many people as I possibly can! Let's not discourage those among us who might not be as proficent . . . we can all learn and grow from one another. Remember, we were all beginners once.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  07:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Oh dear, I don't think this topic is intended to denigrate anybody based on his/her overall proficiency or number of finished projects. I do apologize in advance if anybody has taken it this way.

It's a lighthearted, half-guilty, half-gleeful look at just how far our love of knitting can take us, examining how the obsession itself may be more of what makes us knitters than any specific knitted stitches or finished projects. Because I know for a fact that if it's about finished output, I'd be off the island immediately.

I remember having this talk with a teacher in France many moons ago (she pauses to stare off into the distance wistfully). I told him I wanted to be a writer. But the way the language worked, it literally translated as... "be a writer." He paused and corrected my statement, saying "ah, so you want to write." Ecrivain vs. ecrire.

For some reason that has stuck with me, and it works for my interpretation of knitting as well. You're a knitter if you knit, as far as I'm concerned. Ultimately. The extra "you're a knitter if..." sayings are only intended to help us laugh at ourselves.

(And on that note, you're a knitter if you reach into your bag for a pen and can only find DPNs! That's my constant dilemma...)

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

aoedecmj
Chatty Knitter

128 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  08:09:13 AM  Show Profile Send aoedecmj a Private Message
Don't fret, new e-friends . . . I am in no way upset or angry. I was going more for a "let's knit the world a sweater" angle.

As for me, I knew I was a knitter when my boyfriend informed me that I was spending more time on unfinished projects than with him . . . oops!
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2004 :  08:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Tell him that he is welcome to spend time with you while you knit - he can rub your feet!

Yeah, my husband doesn't fall for that either.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?