Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 is 2.5-3 months "normal" to knit a sweater?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gone2seed
Warming Up

77 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:13:30 AM  Show Profile Send gone2seed a Private Message
I see books called "weekend knits" and from the forums it seems as though people knit up project pretty quickly. I barely finish a project in the same season I started it in. Am I alone here? Starting to get a little impatient with myself . . .
I've been knitting less than a year, will it get faster?

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
Don't let it bother you.
Everyone is different. The more you knit, the faster you'll get, if that's your goal. Some people, however, have no aim for speed and just knit leisurely for relaxation.
Some people have a lot more time in a day to dedicate to knitting, also, so they get more done.
As long as you are enjoying yourself, you're going at the right pace.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
FO for 2004: 1/2 :)
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:26:00 AM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
I usually plan on close to two months to knit a sweater but I usually have a smaller project going at the same time; that way I have a diversion when I get a bit bored!!
I like to start a sweater project in the early fall knowing I may have it done by Christmas!!

Laura in NE Indiana

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

gone2seed
Warming Up

77 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:42:07 AM  Show Profile Send gone2seed a Private Message
ahhh good. I should just plan my projects in advance. Maybe I should look at the bright side, I'm impatient to finish this sweater because it looks like it'll be the first really wearable one I've made!
Thanks folks!
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:50:30 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
LOL-- I'm slow, myself. I was knitting "sonnet" from Knitty-- it took me about 2 months to knit (another month to learn to put together, but that's another topic). I wished I knit faster... but it has to do w/ how I learned-- and I'm not sure I want to invest the time to re-learn another technique at the moment-- maybe some day. I also work a TON... so I don't have as much time as I'd like to work on stuff I'm knitting... I think any sweater that had any sort of details (as opposed to sonnet, which was garter stitch) would take me around 3 months or so. And that's w/ me using *every* spare minute to knit on it. If I'm also working on a pair of socks or whatever (for commutes into work) it can take even longer...

myshelle (the slow) LOL
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:55:13 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
If you're doing it, it's normal! We all lead different lives with different demands on our time, so don't compare what you do with others. Relax and enjoy.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  10:58:28 AM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
I think everyone knits at a different speed, too, just like some people are fast readers and others are slower.

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  11:26:56 AM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Wow - and here I was thinking 2 to 3 months sounds fast!
I'm working on a sweater for my mom -- short sleeves, mind you -- that's taking well over a year. I work on other things, too; I switch and do a lot of smaller projects in between. (short attention span)
As long as you are enjoying the process, why worry about it?
Carol
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  12:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
i am not sure thee is a definiation of normal.

every knitter has a half finished sweater in their past.
some have frogged the whole thing, and turned it into something else, other have them tucked away in the back of a closet, other (me) wear them as vests!

i know knitters who have taken years to knit a sweater --i have whipped up size 4 (childrens size 4) sweaters in a week, and adult size (lets just say larger than large) sweaters in 3 weeks, but i have vest unfinished now since february.

if you want to learn to knit faster, (first expect to be slower as you learn) you can. but knitting isn't a race.
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  12:29:55 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
Hi. I'm only making socks at the moment, and it seems to be taking forever. One reason is that I'm not used to using such thin yarn and size 1 needles. Also, I've got big feet! Those patterns that say you can make the sweater in a weekend are likely to be using super bulky yarn on jumbo needles with a small size pattern and assume you have nothing else to do besides knit. Please don't be dissuaded. If someone is in a hurry, I'd recommend taking up cycling or table tennis, not knitting.

Margaret in South Carolina
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4391 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  1:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I try not to hurry! If I have a deadline for something, I try to get it out of the way as soon as possible so I can get back to the two or three (or more) projects that I always seem to have on needles. Whatever works for you is normal. The sweater I am working on right now is taking a long time, but I have a goal of finishing it sometime before September -- a non-deadline that I'll probably ace!

Jane
(on the end of
Long Island, NY)

Go to Top of Page

gone2seed
Warming Up

77 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  1:26:23 PM  Show Profile Send gone2seed a Private Message
thanks for the encouragement. i'll keep going at my own pace . . .
besides, we may get a chilly day next month & i may get to wear this sweater yet!
Go to Top of Page

Kelley
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  1:30:26 PM  Show Profile Send Kelley a Private Message
I just like to knit!! I have some projects that I knit that must be finished on a deadline. I make sure that I allow a decent amount of time to finish those projects. Everything else I just enjoy the process. I try not to commit to knitting for other people because I don't want my hobby to become stressful. The only exception is a golfing vest for my husband. But, he will get it when he gets it.

I find that I get into two different moods with my knitting. Starting and finishing. I tend to start four or five projects at the same time. After awhile I just want EVERYTHING off my needles so I focus on finishing everything. Then the process starts all over again. Right now I am in finishing mode.

Knitting is a delightful process. Let it be your own world that you can enjoy. Don't let other people's skills or expectations affect your art.

Hugs, Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  2:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Yup, I once knit a sweater in three weeks, but have one that's been sitting here for a year. Cut yourself some slack, sit back, and enjoy.

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  2:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
It took me over a year to do my first sweater.

The most recent finer-weight (DK) wool sweater I made took me about 6 months to complete.

I don't know who these folks are that knit a sweater in a weekend, but I'd like to meet them!

(part of it is I never have more than an hour or two to knit at any one time - maybe the people who are super-productive don't have other things they need to do at the same time).
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  2:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Filly, many of these 'weekend' sweaters are in the super-bulky range. There's a nice one in "Weekend Knits" I could probably do in an obsessed weekend, but it's cashmere and I'd have to mortgage my husband to buy the yarn. And spend the next week on painkillers because of my hand.

I'm still irritated by the folks marketing super bulky to beginner knitters as 'easy'. Ah well. We all have our pet peeves.
Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  2:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Depends on the sweater. If you are doing a sweater with bulky yarn that knits up at 2 stitches to the inch, well longer than a weekend would indicate that very little time was being spent on it.

Sweaters at finer gauges take longer as there are simply more stitches in them. Color work, textured stitches, lace and entrelac also take longer. Garter goes pretty fast for me, but I like garter stitch...

Anyway, you knit at the pace that you knit at, and so yes, 2-3 months sounds normal to me.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  4:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
For 20 years I have knitted a maximum of 2 sweaters each autumn/winter....this year I'm enthused and have already completed heaps of stuff including one sweater for DS (7 yr old).

Of the people I know who knit 6 -8 wks would be average but there is not such thing as normal! As long as you enjoy it don't worry about it.

Wen

2004 stats: 8 FO, 5 WIP, 17 wool purchased. 2 frogpond
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  5:10:20 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I haven't knitted a sweater for myself in a long time, but I'm sure it takes me a couple of months; the biggest thing I have knitted recently is a shawl that was 18" wide and 6' long, and that took me 4 weeks.
As others have said, knit to enjoy, don't worry about how long it takes.
If you are looking at people's stats on the forum, the FOs for this year are more than likely not adult sized sweaters! Mine are 3 pairs of socks, 2 toddler sweaters, 1 toddler dressing gown, a bag and a shawl...so you can see the majority of my FOs are small projects.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 8 FOs, 3 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  7:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Hey, I'm a quick knitter, but big projects (lots of parts, or long sleeved, or Aran patterned) will take me several months. Most of my knitting is done in transit, so in very small bits. I don't worry about it. I knit as constantly as possible...and when I'm not doing it, I'm generally thinking about it!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  7:27:27 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
The best I have ever done is a month on a baby sweater, everything else has taken much longer. I am a big intarsia and colored knitter. I am also a very slow knitter and have already started my Xmas stuff to make sure it is done in time. Having just recently reired I will soon have more time to knit once the move and settling in has been taken care of.

Zola - Soon to be Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.65 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.