Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 labels
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fiberbabe
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  11:25:21 PM  Show Profile Send fiberbabe a Private Message
I am looking for a web site that I can buy sewing labels. I would like to be able to put them in all of my projects. Can anyone help me?

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  12:32:02 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
There are lots of companies out there. Look in the ads in the back of magazines and your will find them. They are also available at JoAnn's.

I make my own labels on the computer using those sheets sold to make iron ons for t-shirts. After designing the label, I iron it onto satin ribbons and then stitch them into the garments. Iron on labels do not work very well on knitted garments. You can also make a label by pressing fabric onto freezer paper. (shiny side next to the fabric) and then running your prepared sheet through your printer. These labels will need to be turned under and stitches all the way around. After making your printer label, press with an iron to set the ink.

fran
Go to Top of Page

fiberbabe
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  11:13:43 AM  Show Profile Send fiberbabe a Private Message
Thanks Fran, I never even thought of JoAnns.

Jody
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  11:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fmarrs

You can also make a label by pressing fabric onto freezer paper. (shiny side next to the fabric) and then running your prepared sheet through your printer.

That's a really neat idea. What kind of printer? Ink jet? Is there special ink? Why doesn't it run on the fabric?
I wonder if my dh would throw a fit if I put fabric through the printer
Christina P.

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Pictures: http://photos.yahoo.com/cpikas
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  12:14:48 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
Jody, I know that www.yarnware.com has some personalized woven labels. I know that Hancock Fabrics and JoAnns have order forms for them as well. I believe it's by http://www.charmwoven.com (it's looks similar to the one I ordered years ago).

Fran, I never thought about the iron-on transfers to ribbon. That is such a great idea, especially since you have creative carte blanche. I've seen inkjet iron-on transfers, but wondered how machine washable is it?
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  3:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Most quilting sites have info on fabric labels -- pre-made and make-your-own. I got some cute ones on the Debbie Mumm site a year or so ago... Try Quilter's Review -- they likely have 'reviewed' various types, just like our Clara reviews knitting tools/accessories. :-)

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  3:15:44 PM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fmarrs

I make my own labels on the computer using those sheets sold to make iron ons for t-shirts. After designing the label, I iron it onto satin ribbons and then stitch them into the garments.

Fran, that's the coolest thing since sliced bread!

My honey has been on me to personalize a label for a sweater and all I could think of was to embroider one. I've been dreading that.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  5:40:12 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
www.colorfulimages.com that is where I bought mine.

karen in the U.P. of MI
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  7:08:32 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Yes you need an ink jet printer. Sometimes I forget that other types are still around. After the label is made, iron it to set the ink before sewing it on. They go through washing very well. I have never used bleach on any of them but then the items they are on usually don't need bleaching.

fran
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  7:10:38 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
To run fabric through the printer, iron on freezer paper larger than you need and then cut the paper and the freezer paper together so that you get clean edges. To remove the freezer paper after printing, score it with a pin and then separate at the scoring.

fran
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?