Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Yarn, Gifts, and Obligations
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  11:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Although I doubt if anyone will ever give me yarn for a gift, I actually think it would be a really nice gift for a knitter.
Let's say you received for your birthday a gift of 12 skeins of yarn that you like, in a color that you like. Would you feel obligated to immediately start a project with it, even if you had a few WIP's going at the time? Would stashing the yarn be equivalent to receiving a sweater and throwing it in the back of the closet for "future use"?

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  11:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I think if you're visibly enjoying the yarn, that's good enough. I would maybe try to have a swatch made up, especially if it was someone like a MIL where relations may be tense, to show that I love the yarn, and then say that I'm trying to find just the right project for it. But I agree, I may never get yarn as a gift, but gosh would I love a big stash of cashmere/alpaca!!!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  11:21:12 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
Yeah, yarn would make a really nice gift--but isn't yarn very personal--even more so than lingere? What if it was too itchy or in a yucky color, like green or brown (see what I mean lots of folks like green and brown, but they're my least favorite colors)? And, than, I think that I would feel more obligated to start a project with it sooner than stashing the sweater in the back of the closet. And, what if the person didn't buy you enough to finish a project--then what do you do?

--Pam
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  11:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Tell them you love it, then bring it to the Knitters Review Retreat swap table!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  11:32:13 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
quote:
Would you feel obligated to immediately start a project with it

Nah! If it's utterly fabulous I might start my next project with it, but I don't like leaving current work unfinished. I'm a fairly fast knitter so it might not take long, but I refuse to knit to anyone's schedule except my own.

But no-one is going to give me yarn any time soon, not with my stash.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I would not feel obligated to start knitting with it immediately. If the giver asked what I's done with it, I's rspond with the truth: I amw aiting until inspiration strikes me to use up such a precious gift.

I'm surprised so many of you never get yarn for a gift. I don't always get yarn, but usually a gift certificate. Mother's Day is coming up in North America, and my husband asked for my fave LYS web site.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  12:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
I wouldn't feel obligated to knit with it immediately.

I would try to find a project for it and then let them know how it would be used. If I used it right away, I'd definitely tell them.

For me, though, I'm picky about almost everything, so I'd rather have a gift certificate for yarn than to actually be given yarn.

I would be grateful, however, that they thought enough of me to give me a gift.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
FO for 2004: 2/3 :)
Go to Top of Page

Leanne
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
384 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  12:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leanne's Homepage Send Leanne a Private Message
I did recieve yarn twice in knitting life. The first time was a Christmas gift from my Mom. We had the same tension. She was knitting me the present but ran out of time and so bundled it all up. She said, "I could have kept for next year but then decided you would have fun finishing it." which I did. It was a great present! The second time, once again for Christmas but from one of my sister-in-laws, I received a skein of red yarn which I incorporated into a design.

http://www.oknitting.com
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  1:20:12 PM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
Nah, I wouldn't feel obligated to use it right away. I'd try to find something to do with it within the year though, I think. Let the giver know I've started something. Even it it languishes a while once it's been started.

I might feel obligated to use it for something for myself though. Depending on who gave it to me.

I don't think my honey would think to do so, but I think it'd be cool if he went into the LYS and said, "I want to buy yarn for my wife." They'd be able to help him out, and I know I'd love it. Although...come to think of it...he pays attention. He could do a fine job choosing yarn for me all by himself. I just don't think he'd think to, or have confidence enough to try.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  1:31:07 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Rosie, thanks to the web and telephone he need never go in! Just buy the certs via CC over the phone or web.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Nubian knitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  2:11:26 PM  Show Profile Send Nubian knitter a Private Message
Hey!

What's wrong with green and brown I really like those colors. Preferably Hunter green over most greens.

Yarn as a gift is really a great idea. If the person is really keyed into the recipient and knows their taste they may do very well at getting them yarn. It shows that they at least know and appreciate the crafter in you and are willing to support your endeavors.
Sheila
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4368 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  2:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I never get yarn for a gift! I'd love some! I'd get to know it before deciding on a project, for however long it took, then I'd knit every stitch with a love-prayer to the wonderful person who gave it to me.

Jane
(on the end of
Long Island, NY)

Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  2:39:18 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
My DH and I have been trying to think of a present for MIL for mother's day and I suggested we buy her some yarn when we go to the Bendigo Woollen Mills today (she will be with us, so she can choose). I have never received yarn as a gift but my DH gave me money to spend on yarn for my birthday earlier this year.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 10 FOs, 3 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  4:33:06 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
One of my SIL (I have 6!) sent me a beautiful skein of Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn. She spoke to me a few days after I got it in the mail & asked if I had started making anything with it. I told her no. She was fine with it! Told me to just enjoy it & make whatever I wanted. As of yet I haven't made anything with it, but am sure it will be turned into a lovely pair of socks sooner or later!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  4:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
If they knew you were a knitter, they would know that you were working on something. Therefore there should be no expectation whatsoever for you to drop everything to work with the gifted yarn. I would however find a pattern for it and show the person who gave it to you what you are going to make with it when you have finished your current project(s).

Wen

2004 stats: 9 FO, 5 WIP, 17 wool purchased, 3 frogpond.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/whhogan
Go to Top of Page

jennywhite
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  5:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jennywhite's Homepage Send jennywhite a Private Message
I've gotten yarn for a gift only once, and I asked for it. I used it immediately because, well, I didn't have anything else going at the time (I hadn't gotten into knitting yet) and I really really wanted to make a scarf (crochet).
I think stashing yarn for future use isn't really the same as having a sweater and never wearing it because you dont' like it. As I'm sure anyone here can attest to, yarn is damn special. If someone is going to give yarn as a gift, they've got to know that the receiver may have to wait for inspiration to strike: that yarn is special and deserves to become a special something.
I might feel a little pressure to make something out of it soon, though... but I tend to be an anxious person and I know that the pressure would be supplied soley by me and not the gift-giver. But I'd want to be able to devote a lot of attention and love to the project that I decide to start with the gifted yarn, so I'd try to finish up some projects if I have too many going.
As to the problem of not having enough yarn given to complete a project: there's always SOMETHING that you can make with it! and if you really want to make something out of the yarn and you don't have enough, what a great justification to go out and buy more yarn!!
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  5:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I think the nicer the yarn, the less likely I am to knit it up. I am more likely to put it aside and pet it while contemplating a worthy project. Anyone who knows me well will know that. I have yarn in my cupboard that i take out from time to time to just pet and treasure. :)

celia

http://www.imagestation.com/members/celiang
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  6:00:46 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
I got a bunch of acylic once from my SIL. Used a little bit once in a while for odd stuff. Still have a pile left!

happiness is highly underrated
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  7:47:54 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by celia

I think the nicer the yarn, the less likely I am to knit it up. I am more likely to put it aside and pet it while contemplating a worthy project. Anyone who knows me well will know that. I have yarn in my cupboard that i take out from time to time to just pet and treasure. :)

celia

http://www.imagestation.com/members/celiang

I'm with you there. My nicest yarn is there just to be admired. Since I have it in open bins in my bedroom, I can admire it morning and night.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

Danae
Chatty Knitter

Australia
124 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  11:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Danae's Homepage Send Danae a Private Message
I can only dream. It's my birthday this month as well as Mother's Day, and my family have asked what I want.
An Everyday Cardigan kit. Some Lorna's Laces sock yarn. At least. However, as soon as I talk about yarn, they zone out. No doubt I will end up with another dressing gown. Or a CD Burner. I know I have told them I want the everyday cardigan kit. I can almost see their eyes glass over when I mention it.
For Mother's Day, I am getting some nice black boots. And some Opal sock yarn. How do I know? Because I bought them. The Opal sock yarn is something my DD wanted to get me, but my DH wasn't listening. So I bought it, hid it from my DD, then gave it to my DH to give to my DD, so now my DD thinks I don't know about it. Does that make any sense at all? LOL!
Does this sound like a sore point? ;)
I wish they'd just buy me yarn as a gift!

Donna
UFO Queen

http://avocadia.net/randomknits/
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  07:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
what can i say? i must have done something right, somewhere in my life, because i am blessed.

two years ago, when i was cleaning out my house to move, i 'loaned' my DIL some of my old knitting and craft books. not all of them, but several that had wonderful childerns stuff--(she eyed my circ and needle collections, but i am just not that nice or gererous!)-but i did let her take a selection of craft items too, ribbons, and lace, and i forget half of what i gave away! I mailed her even more stuff later on in the moving process. (huge 3 foot by 4 foot boxes, each 6 inches deep, 2 or 3 of them!)

my birthday just past, and mother's day is coming up, and my DIL, who has been working in a LYS for the past 2 years is moving (tomorrow is moving day!) and as she packed, she was forced to admit her stash had become a SABLE!--so this morning, i recieved an overstuff priority mail box of yarn.

10 skeins of a beautiful italian cotton (i do love cotton!) some alpaca/wool boucles's (Relax by GGH) , some fun fur, (mustachio by friends, inc) classic elite's Zelda (wool and linen/thick and thin) some skeins of pure wool, one lopi style, one a heather tweed, some of GGH's cotton velour (chenille), an unlabeled mohair, and some other misc. yarn.

the whole collections is shade of lilac, plum, lavender, purple(with the chenille a varigated blue with purple colorway.) Aside from the cotton, most are single skeins, (3 of the chenille, 3 of the zelda) or 2 skeins of the same yarn, but in different colors (mustachio/relax), a real mixed bag of beautiful yarn!

some of the yarn will turn into a mixed yarn shawl, some will be used for hats or other small projects, one skein is just the thing i wanted-- i have a stash of dark lilac mohair, and I wanted something to trim it.. the light lilac mohair is perfect match in weight and color tone-just a lighter shade!--the sweater will be prettier for a bit of light yarn at the cast on/neckline edges.

of course my stash is fast become a SABLE too, but i have a welcome to your new home package on the way them--well its actualy for kids (one honorary grandson (her son)and granddaughter (their daugher)--the alien scarf for him, a knit teddy bear for her.. (we make the post office rich sending each other yarn/knit goods!)--my soon to be 4 granddaughter tells her other grandparents, "nana helen makes me pretty sweaters"..(they have taken her to the ballet, which thrills her!)

My son is a good man, but i must say, he has the very best taste in women.. he has me for a mom, and his wife is everything a MIL could wish for..(her son knits too!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?