Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 How to Use the Knitter's Review Forums
 different on a mac?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  12:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
We just bought a new computer - my husband got his desired mac G4. I am adjusting to the change, but find that I can't use the font, color and size options for posting a response. One at a time will work, but you can't combine them to get, say, Georgia font with purple printing. Not a major deal, but I'm wondering if this is a mac thing or our computer or what? Anyone know? Thank you.

Linda, knitting away in MD

sarahsthreads
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  1:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit sarahsthreads's Homepage Send sarahsthreads a Private Message
Did this work?

I'm using a mac, as well, but I've never tried changing font types or colors... It looks like it puts the following tags in when you select "Georgia" font, color purple (pretend the following parentheses are square brackets):
(font=Georgia)(/font=Georgia)(purple)(/purple)

You'd need to change it around to look like this (again, the parentheses replace square brackets):
(font=Georgia)(purple)(/purple)(/font=Georgia)

And then put your text in the middle of the purple tags.

Hope this helps!

Sarah :)

http://sarahsthreads.com/journal/
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  2:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
OK, I tried moving them manually. That worked. The computer won't let me do place them where I want. Tiresome and not likely to be done this way. Oh, well.

Linda, knitting away in MD
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  8:09:36 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I don't have a Mac, and I've always had to do it this way. All that formatting stuff always goes at the very end of the post, and I have to place them where I want them with cut n paste. Doesn't everyone?

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  05:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I have a Mac and I always do the bracket format as part of the typing when I am posting.
Go to Top of Page

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  06:11:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
Welcome to the world of macs (I am a devoted mac person)- there shouldn't be any difference between PCs and Macs in terms of writing html. Where you might get a difference is between web browsers (Internet Explorer and Netscape are the most common, but slowest, so there are browsers like Opera, Safari, Camina). I use apple's "safari" and it is still new, so sometimes I have trouble loading pages (but infrequently and I can read KR just fine). IE is still the most developed so you are less likely to have problems with it in terms of how html works. But, it is the slowest browser out there.

-Wendy in Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  11:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
I can't suggest IE over Safari... I find the latter to have only minimal problems, far far outweighed by its speed and other benefits (like tabbed browsing!)

Frankly, I can't suggest IE to anyone :-) If you have a Windows machine, please look into the alternatives, such as those at http://www.mozilla.org/

Josh A.
N. California -> Rochester, NY
Go to Top of Page

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  2:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
Josh- right on!

IE is horrible- Microsoft has stopped all upgrades for the mac version of IE- so if you use a mac, look around for another browser. Safari and Mozilla are great alternatives. I always use Safari, I couldn't live without tabbed browsing and it is so fast!

Another great one (also for PCs, I think) is Firefox.

-Wendy
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  07:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
OK, I will explore other browsers for sure.
On my PC I can choose a font, then put the cursor between the brackets and choose a color, and that is placed between the font brackets, then place my cursor in the middle and type. On the Mac I have to move them manually. Just an inconvenience.
My husband loves Mac' s so when we purchased our own computer (seperate from the one our sons use) he got what he had been dreaming about. I am adjusting well, I think, but still have a lot to learn. I publish a newsletter for my knitting guild and really like the graphics avaiable on the Mac to improve the appearance, but DH has to do that editing still since I haven't learned that graphic stuff. He did it for a living up until a year ago, so he's really good.

Linda, knitting and now spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  08:46:43 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I use Mozilla and linux. If I want to go back and re-format, I have to move all the commands manually, as they all end up at the end of the post.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page