Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Smelly Yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Teatime
Chatty Knitter

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  06:54:56 AM  Show Profile Send Teatime a Private Message
The wool I bought at the Maryland S&W was a little smelly. Yesterday I hung the skeins on the porch to 'air'. A quick storm went by while I was at my son's baseball game and my yarn got wet/damp (the porch is covered so the rain must have been horizontal) It now smells much worse. It's not that 'wet dog' smell that felting has. Any ideas how I can freshen it up?

Thanks

Ann

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  07:05:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Have you tried Febreeze or similar products like that?

Be careful how you hang them, especially if they're now wet - you don't want the yarn to stretch!!!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  07:09:21 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
Febreeze is a good product to use. You might want to check for color-fastness, just in case.

In addition to Febreeze, you can put the yarn in a Ziploc bag with a fabric softener sheet. That usually eliminates the bad smell, too.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  07:17:29 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Wool is often smelly when wet. I think you're smelling the lanolin. That will pass when the yarn dries, and the original smell may be gone as well.

If not, Febreze does work.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Teatime
Chatty Knitter

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  08:01:41 AM  Show Profile Send Teatime a Private Message
Thank You, I am febreezing as I type I did think about the stretching and laid them down flat, on a towel on top of the warm tumble drier. What bought the smell to my atttention was my husband went into the laundry room last night and thought there was a dead mouse/chipmunk in there. He was quite serious

Take Care

Ann
Go to Top of Page

Chequamegon
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  10:29:57 AM  Show Profile Send Chequamegon a Private Message
One way I deal with dry smelly yarn is to put it in a plastic ziploc bag along with a scented candle. This is a great way to pefume yarn. The fiber becomes subtlety scented. I bought some linen that smelled like a hay barn. It was real nasty. And after two months it smelled great. Really stinky yarn needs to be sealed away for a longer period of time. Sometimes I just do this for the heck of it to make the yarn smell good. It could lead to knitting aroma therapy.

Mary

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  12:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Mary, what a lovely and unique idea!!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ailurokat

Posted - 05/06/2004 :  8:08:15 PM  Show Profile Send ailurokat a Private Message
i've heard of putting smelly finished objects in a box with coal or baking soda - each of these is really good at sucking out odors. i'm sure you could do it with skeins as well. just be sure not to let it come in contact with the coal or soda, so it doesn't get dirty.
Go to Top of Page

cara_momtaz@yahoo.com

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  10:01:30 AM  Show Profile Send cara_momtaz@yahoo.com a Private Message
I recently took a fresh bar of scented soap, put it in one of the new "vented" ziploc bags made especially for vegetables, and then place the smelly yarn and the soap into a larger 1 gallon vented ziploc. After a week, the yarn smelled so lovely!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

Posted - 05/07/2004 :  1:15:15 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I recommend that you wash the yarn or sweater again in a shampoo with the fragrance of your choice. I also use regular ol' hair conditioner on some of my wool or sweaters after I wash them so they not only smell great, but become soft and feel nice next to my skin (even if I've used a scratchier wool).

D
Go to Top of Page

psk555@optonline.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  10:56:48 AM  Show Profile Send psk555@optonline.net a Private Message
I learned how to make my yarn smell great from TESS YARNS...put a SNUGGLE fabric softener sheet in your knitting bag or basket...It works!
Go to Top of Page

Stitchkeepers@yahoo.com

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  12:22:50 PM  Show Profile Send Stitchkeepers@yahoo.com a Private Message
I bought a sweater for my husband at the NY Sheep and Wool Festival and it smelled awful. I washed it three times in various wool soaps and finally gave up. As a last resort I took it to the cleaners. The problem was solved. It seems that the wool had been treated with something that would prevent moths from eating it. The chemicals in the cleaning solution were the perfect solution to the problem. It is very soft after the three washings and he loves wearing it after the cleaning.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe