Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 informal poll- what knitting task do you dislike?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  08:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
I've realized this week that I dread and dislike very much pickup lots of stitches. This past week I had to pick up 300+ stitches all the way around a shrug I am making and then last night I stayed up late picking up almost 200 stitches around the bottom of the Booga bag I'm making. This is the only thing about knitting so far that I've not loved. The knitting romance is still very much alive for me, but I think in the future I am going to pay attention to how much "picking up" there is in a pattern before I begin it.

What does everyone else dread or dislike doing?

-Wendy

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
Casting on...bleh
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  08:47:59 AM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
Finishing.

Weaving in ends is my second least favorite, seaming/sewing is my least favorite.

Bleh.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  08:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
While I don't love picking up stitches, I don't really hate or avoid it either. I sat for a bit trying to think of something I don't like about knitting and all I could come up with was double point needles......but I use circulars now for all my "in the round" knitting so that no longer qualifies.

I do have a knitting related pet peeve though.....Waiting for catalogues and yarn I have ordered! I ordered the "Patternworks" catalogue weeks ago and haven't heard a word. It is starting to make me wonder.......If they take that long to send a catalogue, would there be huge delays in receiving purchases too?

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Patternworks? Are they prompt with their deliveries? I am wanting to knit a "Dale of Norway" ski sweater but I only have an old 2001 catalogue. Does anyone know of another good source for "Dale of Norway" patterns/yarn/kits?

-Marlene-
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  08:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I'm with rosie
I despise sewing/seaming.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.thekingspottery.com
Go to Top of Page

mottstreetsara
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  09:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit mottstreetsara's Homepage Send mottstreetsara a Private Message
I also agree that sewing up at the end is my very least favorite thing to do. I'm so pleased that more and more patterns are now in the round. If there are any designers out there reading this, please design more patterns this way!
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  09:14:19 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message
Wendy so glad you posted this in other words you beat me to it LOL

Casting on! I have been putting off my shawl (Square)

336 sts with Jaggerspun Zephyr wool/silk

shaggy

Every day a peddler pulled his cart of wool from his home to the village market. It was a long trip. He had to travel around the perimeter of a large lake that was owned by the town tycoon, a modernday scrooge. One day during the winter the lake froze over. The peddler realized that he could cut off 2 miles from his trip if he crossed over the lake. He was spotted halfway across the lake by the tycoon. Scrooge came racing out of his mansion and screamed at the peddler, "Iíll be danged if I let anyone pull the wool over my ice!"
Go to Top of Page

Jenny
Permanent Resident

1613 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  09:16:22 AM  Show Profile Send Jenny a Private Message
Weaving in and clipping off ends. All those itty bitty cut ends floating around. Eeecch.
Jenny
WA State
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  09:51:54 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Sewing/seaming.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Berchem
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  09:52:59 AM  Show Profile Send Berchem a Private Message
All the parts of putting a sweater together. That includes sewing seaming, and weaving threads in. Even sewing buttons on. I am not a big fan of picking up stitches esp. when the directions say evenly spaced around.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  1:47:50 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
Sewing seams and buttons....I have a number of cardigans that don't have buttons on them!!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2004 Stats: 10 FOs, 3 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  2:34:29 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I'm with you all - I HATE SEWING!!!! I'm so happy when I find a one-piece pattern w/minimal finishing, and 3-needle bind-off for shoulders is a godsend.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

Karen F
Sustaining Member

248 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  2:49:39 PM  Show Profile Send Karen F a Private Message
Weaving ends and dpns~
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Feijoanna
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
140 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  3:47:41 PM  Show Profile Send Feijoanna a Private Message
Hi,

I also hatehatehatehate casting on. Tonight I'll be unravelling the whole so far (about 15 inches) of an in-the-round jersey. And the only part of going back to the beginning that really bugs me is that I dread having to cast on all those stitches again. Not the keenest on skeining, washing and rewinding wool either.

Cheers, FJ
Go to Top of Page

jj1150
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  3:54:30 PM  Show Profile Send jj1150 a Private Message
I agree with the CASTING ON and the SEWING of seams.

I think the cast on is incredibly boring and the sewing of seams is something I've not done enough of, so I don't feel very skilled in this ... guess that means I need to PRACTICE!!

jody
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  4:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message

FINISHING

especially sewing in the sleeves!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  4:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Weaving ends, don't mind the seaming but all those ends to finish off.

Wen

2004 stats: 9 FO, 5 WIP, 17 wool purchased, 3 frogpond.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/whhogan
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  6:30:43 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Wow, I'm surprised how many of you hate casting on. I think casting on a new project is exciting, so full of promise. Of course it's a pain when you do the long tail and figure your ends wrong, but I'm not too bad at that. On sweaters I try to go on the long side, figuring I can use a too long end in the seam.

I dislike frogging, of course, and deciding whether to frog, like I am right now. There's a mistake in aan otherwise nearly perfect lace scarf and I really think I should pull out about 5 rows to fix it. Sigh.

I'm not crazy about picking up stitches either.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  7:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Try this for long tail cast on: take the # of stitches, divide by the gauge, multiply by 3, and add a few inches for insurance. For example, 64 stitches, divide by 8 (gauge:8spi), times 3 = 24. Add 6 inches = 30. Measure 30 inches and cast on. You should only have to do it once!
Thanks to Maggie Righetti for that tip.
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  7:09:30 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
I find myself cursing the day I started socks with very thin yarn and O size needles. They are taking just forever. And the worst part is, I have enough yarn for three more pairs! Well, next time--super bulky and a vacation from the dps.

Margaret in South Carolina
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  7:19:15 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
frodosmom, do what I did when I got tired of socks with fingering weight yarn but had lots of it: use two starnds of the yarn, since it ends up being DK weight, you get use 4mm needles.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?