Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 informal poll- what knitting task do you dislike?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Yarnalicious
Chatty Knitter

104 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  7:42:40 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnalicious a Private Message
Definitely finishing!

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  7:49:33 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

Try this for long tail cast on: take the # of stitches, divide by the gauge, multiply by 3, and add a few inches for insurance. For example, 64 stitches, divide by 8 (gauge:8spi), times 3 = 24. Add 6 inches = 30. Measure 30 inches and cast on. You should only have to do it once!
Thanks to Maggie Righetti for that tip.

Even easier is using 2 ends, either the inside and outside, or 2 balls. Then you don't even have to think about it. I wish I'd known this trick when I was making Luanns gauntlets, which I had to cast on about 5 times for one reason or another.

As I've posted many times, I have made it my mission in life to figure out a way to avoid all sewing. I also dislike weaving in ends, especially in cotton, which I seem to be using a lot of lately!

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  03:20:42 AM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
Tinking. Tinkadoo! or is that tinkapoo?

happiness is highly underrated
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  03:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Definitely the very beginning and the very end.

Casting on - not so much for the tail, because I'm pretty good about estimating, but I get so neurotic about counting out the stitches correctly then (if you get the count wrong in cast on, you're done for!) that I end up counting them about 15 times

and

Weaving in - I have to remind myself that there are relatively few people inside my sweaters, and not sit there for hours, straining my eyes, trying to hide all signs of the join. I never can do it satisfactorally - knitters would see them (others wouldn't) and then just when I think it's done, I tug at the sweater to put it on, and out pop some stray ends. Yuck

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  03:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message
Add me to the "I hate seaming/weaving in ends" club.

Felicia in NYC

"This is mohair." "Mohair", he said and placed the furry ball on his head. "Mohair for me?" - from a very funny moment with my boyfriend in a LYS.

Yarn Fast started on 2/22/04 (no yarn purchases until Stitches East)
Go to Top of Page

Danae
Chatty Knitter

Australia
124 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  04:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Danae's Homepage Send Danae a Private Message
Hmm, hard to decide between swatching and finishing. I have issues with the Gauge Gods ;)

Donna
UFO Queen

http://avocadia.net/randomknits/
Go to Top of Page

lindsey tighe
New Pal

48 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  04:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Send lindsey tighe a Yahoo! Message Send lindsey tighe a Private Message
picking up dropped stitches!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  04:58:19 AM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
I hate seaming, and I've not even done a lot of it. I'd just rather knit in the round and avoid seaming altogether. I don't like weaving in ends either, but that's not as bad as seaming.
Go to Top of Page

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  05:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
Wow- I never thought of casting on, I always get excited the cast on! Come one- no one else finds picking up stitches tedious?

I'll let you all know how much I like/dislike seaming after I finish the sweater I'm working on. Everything else I have made on circs from the top-down, so I haven't had large seaming jobs yet.

fun! -Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Chequamegon
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  06:52:54 AM  Show Profile Send Chequamegon a Private Message
I hate double points. . . which is why I won't knit socks. But, I want to do make mittens someday so I know I will have to get past this avoidance of double points.

Wendy, I kind of like picking up stitches. The first time I picked up a neckband I just looked at the jegged edges and thought "here goes" I was so amazed how lovely it looked when I finished. Picking up stitches is similar to crocheting in some small way so maybe that is why I don't mind it.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  07:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
Five things that get to me. A lot of these are ones where something "bad" can happen if you make a mistake, and mistakes are potentially easy to make...

Casting on, when there's oooooodles of stitches - like when a cardigan is being knitted all of a piece, so you have to cast on something like 185 stitches in worsted weight. I always lose count, and now I have to make a hatch mark on paper every time I complete ten, so I can stay on-count.

Seaming, especially in bulky yarns...I try to find floss that matches (don't like to seam with the yarn when it's a bulky) but I can never get it perfect, and my seaming is not perfect, so sometimes the floss shows.

Picking up LARGE numbers of stitches, like to do an edging or a cardigan button band - ugh. (I don't mind it so much on socks - there it's just 18 or 16 and that's not so bad. It's the evenly-spaced-down-the-front that gets me, I'm always afraid I'll miss a point and will have a gap on a very public part of the sweater).

Weaving in ends. That's probably the one I hate the most, so much so that I have to REALLY want a Fair Isle or Intarsia project to even contemplate beginning it.

I also hate sewing on buttons to the point that I have the Chinese Vest from Folk Vests sitting in my projects pile - it's all done and seamed up and everything (even the ends are woven in) but I still have to put the buttons on (and they are shank buttons to boot, which is doubly bad).
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  07:05:39 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I'm in the I-hate-finishing club too. I don't start new projects until the current ones are off the needles, but that doesn't mean they're blocked, sewn, finished off. Right now I have 5 completely knitted, mostly finished sweaters which need buttons (2 jackets), some underarm stitches grafted (2 sweaters knitted in the round, so no other sewing), zipper sewn in (1 jacket).

I don't much like picking up stitches, but I regard this as part of knitting so I get it done as soon as possible. Yesterday I picked up 300+ stitches for the front bands and shawl collar of the jacket I'm making. It's a man's size XL so pretty big and bulky. I just have one more row to knit, then I cast off. Whew!

But my pet knitting dislikes are: intarsia and bobbles. I resigned myself to bobbles when they're really important to the look, but I draw the line at intarsia.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  07:08:39 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Almost forgot.

quote:
I am wanting to knit a "Dale of Norway" ski sweater but I only have an old 2001 catalogue. Does anyone know of another good source for "Dale of Norway" patterns/yarn/kits?

Marlene - try Bea Ellis at http://www.beaellisknitwear.com/.
Bea (there is really a Bea!) is Norwegian and has the best selection of Norwegian yarns and patterns in the US (recommended by Dale themselves). No affiliation etc.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  07:44:29 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
Definitely weaving the ends in. I don't much care for sewing pieces together either. When I made some purses for my nieces (ages 3 and 6), I crocheted the sides together rather than sew them and got the loose ends on the inside where they'd never be seen since I put a fabric liner in them.
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  07:49:11 AM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
I actually *like* picking up stitches.
Go to Top of Page

jrwhiskey
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  09:04:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jrwhiskey's Homepage Send jrwhiskey a Private Message
I would say sewing up, but I've successfully been able avoid this by knitting in the round
I really can't stand frogging socks w/small gauge ... as I stink at getting all the stitches picked up again

Julie in central MD
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  09:06:55 AM  Show Profile Send GreysMom a Private Message
Another vote for seaming and finishing. yuck. Couldn't hate it more. I will make anything I can in the round, just to avoid seaming. Makes for kind of weird potholders, but what are you gonna do? he he he

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Tuppence
Chatty Knitter

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  09:25:08 AM  Show Profile Send Tuppence a Private Message
I agree that casting on is a pain, but I really dread the very first row of pattern (ribbing, whatever) after the cast-on because there's no previous row to use as a guide and it's so easy to make a mistake.

For some reason I don't really mind doing the seams, maybe because it means the project is almost finished.

- Marie, NW of Chicago
Go to Top of Page

jennywhite
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  10:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jennywhite's Homepage Send jennywhite a Private Message
I don't like finishing... well, once I start I kinda have fun seaming, but it's hard to have a project basically complete but in pieces. I feel like I should be done... I hate trying to figure out how many stitches to cast on - I always miscount so there's lots of trial and error.
Go to Top of Page

rozcar
New Pal

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  11:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Send rozcar a Yahoo! Message Send rozcar a Private Message
Weaving in! Ugh, I shudder just to think of it.

Roslynne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.