Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 informal poll- what knitting task do you dislike?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  11:17:11 AM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
Oh, Mokey, thank you! I'll definitely try your suggestion of using two strands of that thin yarn. It should let me finish the socks in less than half the time, and they'll be thicker and warmer,too.

Margaret in South Carolina
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  11:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
Finishing

Kimberly, kniting in VA
FO for 2004: 2/3 :)
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  12:05:42 PM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chequamegon

I hate double points. . . which is why I won't knit socks. But, I want to do make mittens someday so I know I will have to get past this avoidance of double points.

Mary, I have a 2 needle mitten pattern that I can send to you if you would like to PM me your address. It is a multi-size vintage pattern that can be made for kids to adult men. And it's really easy.

Things I hate:
The 'planning' stage. Which style? Which one is made with yarn I can afford? What shall I substitute? What will it look like? My gauge swatch is a bit off, will the sweater fit? I don't like that_____ now how can I alter it? What is my honest waist measurement? How will this yarn drape? Will this cheap yarn pill? Will this expensive yarn pill?

Trying to keep track of 10 things at once. "Work chart while at the same time decrease 1 stitch each side every 12 rows on right side rows then work even until 10 inches while increasing one stitch in the center on the wrong side...." Yuck! I always forget something!

Finishing. Both the seaming part and the knowledge that it might not fit (see rant of a few days ago).

I LOVE dpn and making socks. Go figure!

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  1:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knittykat
I LOVE dpn and making socks. Go figure!

Me too, me too!
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  6:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I like just about everything except blocking. Swtaching is OK, weaving in ends is OK - kind of a nice wind down at the end of the project. But I hate blocking.

Linda, knitting and now spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  8:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Sewing up. If I LIKED to sew, I wouldn't be knitting, now, would I? And do I LEARN this?? Do I stick to seamless sweaters? NO! I'm a moron and keep picking sew-it-up patterns!

Darning in ends is a close second on the hate scale.

I just did a bunch of color-stranded knitting on double-points, and remember thinking 'I don't know why people hate DPNs so much', so you may all hate me now. LOL

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

susanner
Gabber Extraordinaire

400 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  8:27:28 PM  Show Profile Send susanner a Private Message
It's got to be swatching for gauge. the worst thing ever. but necessary.

susanne
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  8:59:57 PM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
I just started a project which had a some intarsia. I'm starting to not like it because of carrying the old color yarn behind the new color. Even though I tell myself to give enough slack for blocking, I still managed to do it a little too tight.

But my biggest pet peeve: finishing (seams).
Go to Top of Page

JoanM
Chatty Knitter

Australia
316 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  9:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoanM's Homepage Send JoanM a Private Message
I always have several projects on the go, and I keep most of the sewing up, weaving in for watching a movie. Then you hardly notice it. I changed to doing matress stich sew up, and find it easier and better finish. I think there is a way to weave in as you go. I am going to try this. Picking up stiches, and also dropped stiches go much better with a crochet hook. I love circular needles. I have been using them for 35 years. You never lose the other needle
JoanM South Australia
Go to Top of Page

virtualpurl
Gabber Extraordinaire

409 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  9:58:57 PM  Show Profile Send virtualpurl a Private Message
Sewing is the worst (although if I could do a decent job, I don't think I'd dislike it that much; I'm working on it). More minor, but annoying, is repetitive counting of stitches. And, of course, unknitting to fix mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

FROGDANDY410
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
178 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  10:34:41 PM  Show Profile Send FROGDANDY410 a Private Message
i hate when a pattern calls for crochet in any form or shape. i hate crochet period.
Go to Top of Page

crafty1mjw@comcast.net
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  7:54:45 PM  Show Profile Send crafty1mjw@comcast.net a Private Message
Hi, Wendy! I dread having to frog, especially when I have to frog several rows!

craftymjw

Keep on knittin'!
The more, the merrier!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  07:12:36 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I have to amend my statement. I like the excitement of casting on a new project, except large circular objects where you have to worry about the stitches being twisted. Twice I've started sweaters that turned into mobius strips.

For those who hate casting on large numbers of stitches: place a marker ever 25 stiches as you go and you don't have to keep recounting those.

For those who hate dpns, learn to knit tubes with 2 circulars or one long circular. You can make mittens without touching a dpn!

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  09:10:18 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
Another thing that drives me nuts is having to pick up the yarn after one of my cats decides to redecorate the living room with it after I've gone to bed or to work for the day. I'm much better at remembering to put it up where they can't get at it. However, hanging the bag on a doorknob doesn't work - my female cat is long enough to get into it still.

Just thought of it this morning since I forgot to put up the scarf I was working on last night before I went to bed.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  5:13:19 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message
I find starting a new project exciting,but am not crazy about casting on, as I am constantly checking to see that I have the correct number of stitches.I also find that I am impatient when it comes to doing the welt (ribbing ) on a sweater; I like to get it out of the way as quickly as possible!

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

SweaterGrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  07:16:43 AM  Show Profile Send SweaterGrrrl a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

For those who hate casting on large numbers of stitches: place a marker ever 25 stiches as you go and you don't have to keep recounting those.

You are a genius! Why have I never thought of that?

Swatching is a pain, but I have had so many pieces that were way too small that now making a gauge swatch isn't so painful. Sewing seams is kind of a pain, but you're almost done. Same for me with buttons.

BLOCKING has to be my least favorite task, partly because I don't have the fancy blocking equipment I see in the knitting books--just a towel on the floor and maybe some regular safety pins--and partly because I'm just sitting around watching the darn sweater get dry.

SweaterGrrrl
Go to Top of Page

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  08:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
cats- oh, I forgot about my kitten! Another thing that drives me nuts is when she chews my yarn in half while I am knitting. I don't notice her doing this, so I knit along and all of a sudden come to a wet, yucky end!

I hated dpns too- until I learned magic loop!

And as for sewing up seams- this isn't my favorite thing either. Anyone know of a sweater pattern book that has simple, classic sweaters knit from the top down in the round? I would buy that book in a second!

-Wendy
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  09:37:59 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
Sometimes my female cat will sneak up and pick up the skein of yarn that I'm using at the time and try to walk away with it like I won't notice. Oh well, I usually try to keep the yarn in the bag so she won't do that.
Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  11:36:02 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
I hate weaving in the ends so much that I learned to do it as I go along, a la Kaffe Fassett, because I would put it off for YEARS otherwise.
Seaming is awful, too, so I try to do as much circular knitting as possible. I've been known to sew sweater seams on the sewing machine just to get over with. Works surprisingly well, especially if you use a walking foot.
It does me absolutely no good to swatch, as I can get the gauge perfect on the swatch, and then I always loosen up as I go along, and have to measure my gauge every few inches so that I can keep substituting smaller needles. If the yarn is too bulky to keep going down, down, down in needle size, I have to keep altering the pattern. Yuckkkk!

AJ

"Live your life as a cat does; enjoy each moment, then enjoy the next moment, and so on, and so on."
Go to Top of Page

bizzigurl
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  12:05:57 PM  Show Profile Send bizzigurl a Private Message
Absolutely the worst part of a project is the weaving in of the evil ends....I hate spending the time to do this!

Jill
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.