Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting as relationship therapy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sportweight
Chatty Knitter

125 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2004 :  09:44:16 AM  Show Profile Send Sportweight a Private Message
This may sound really weird, but my relationship with my DH improved when I started knitting in December of last year. We were still just engaged at that time and working through some "issues" with a counselor. After I began knitting, I was so much more serene about life in general that not only did my work life improve but my relationship with my guy became much stronger. I'm not sure why that is, but I think it's because I am feeling more centered and happier and it allows me to be a better partner and friend to him.

Sportweight

"I knit; therefore, I am."

SweaterGrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2004 :  12:24:50 PM  Show Profile Send SweaterGrrrl a Private Message
It doesn't sound weird at all--not to another knitter.

Good luck to you and your partner!

SweaterGrrrl
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2004 :  05:36:42 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I think hobbies are extremely important in a relationship! Everyone needs interests and passions. My observation is that those who don't have an outlet for their energy often get consumed with the petty little things in relationships and friendships and create drama where there is none. I have my own hobbies and my dh has his. Our house and our dogs are passions we share as well as one day, hopefully, kids. My only caveat would be not to get so consumed with a hobby that the humans in ones life have to play second fiddle.

PattiG
Atlanta
http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

rorosity@aol.com
Seriously Hooked

696 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2004 :  05:48:17 AM  Show Profile Send rorosity@aol.com a Private Message
It does help! I know that I can now sit down next to my husband and "watch" sports while I am knitting. I would always fight it, because I was bored, but I now knit and it's great that we can spend time together.

Also, it is nice to have your own outlet.

J.
Go to Top of Page

dsassali@aol.com

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  2:37:53 PM  Show Profile Send dsassali@aol.com a Private Message
I have been able to "watch" football for 26 years because I was able to knit!! Now I look forward to football season starting because it is good "knitting weather" and we can spent time together without me going into a different room to watch something else or look for something to do while he is watching. Plus, you just feel SO GOOD while knitting - I can see how it helps relationships - way to go Sportweight!
deborah
Go to Top of Page

KnitKnut
Permanent Resident

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2004 :  08:52:09 AM  Show Profile Send KnitKnut a Private Message
Knitting has always been therapy for me. The ability to settle in with a yarn I love, and then form my own cocoon anywhere, is about as good as meditation for me. I create a quiet zone where I control the activity, focus on the soothing cadences of stitch after stitch, interrupted only by an occasional *&^$#%#)(%, and go "into the zone".
I once took biofeedback classes to learn how to relax. I find that knitting puts me into the same mindset as deep breathing and visualizing did, and I get to do something useful at the same time (maybe I haven't relaxed completely!). I've turned to knitting when ill, upset, angry, frustrated, antsy, edgy, searching for answers, and just plain bored. It always does the trick for me. And it keeps me from eating - can't do both at the same time yet!

Marie from NC
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  10:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
I'm happy for you!
The same thing happened to me, although I am not engaged, I have been dating my DH for almost 6 years on and off. I needed a hobby to focus on instead of nit-picking on the details of our realtionship. He even said to me that he was so happy that I started knitting again and how cute it was. I even forget he's there sometimes.

Chia
Go to Top of Page

gabsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

380 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  10:11:03 PM  Show Profile Send gabsmom a Private Message
I hear ya on the knitting while watching sports with the hubby. My husband watches soccer. And since soccer is the biggest sport in the world there always is a game on all year round (or so it seems!). I enjoy sitting with my husband from time to time and 'watching' the game. I think it's a good thing to spend time with your SO even if you aren't actually watching the game.
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  06:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
Congrats. It's good when we can find something that makes us feel better and helps our overall lives, as well!

Kimberly, kniting in VA
FO for 2004: 2/3 blanket and 2/3 sweater :)
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  06:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
By the way, Sportweight, I love your screen name!

Kimberly, kniting in VA
FO for 2004: 2/3 blanket and 2/3 sweater :)
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  06:37:27 AM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
I find knitting helps me calm down when I've had a bad day (I don't have too many of them). Therapy-wise, it is good for me especially since my 8-year-old was diagnosed with high-functioning autism. He's a terrific kid, and easy to deal with, so I don't have any problems with the diagnosis. It's really just how I "perceive" others reacting to his sometimes "odd" behavior, and how I get hurt or offended by someone looking at him strangely or thinking he's a weird little kid. Knitting, for some odd reason, is a relief at the end of a hard day, where my mind can turn to something that requires my whole brain, and yet relaxes me at the same time, and I'm not thinking about the way I view how others perceive my sometimes unusual child.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

sharon.curry@aventis.com
Chatty Knitter

109 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  1:23:27 PM  Show Profile Send sharon.curry@aventis.com a Private Message
hey Sportweight.....ditto on everyone's words of encouragement...it can be very relaxing and soothing.

Sharon
Go to Top of Page

bunkenbeans@comcast.net

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  2:13:43 PM  Show Profile Send bunkenbeans@comcast.net a Private Message
This is a great topic...I think there is a lot to be said for doing something that's practical in nature yet also creative. You get to play, and at the end you have a garment or houseware that you or someone else can use. For me, this practical aspect of needlework goes a lot farther as a creative outlet than the paintings I used to do for art's sake alone. Maybe I just have an excessive need to feel useful Unlike the art I learned to make in art school 10 years ago, my knitted and crocheted work doesn't have to be complicated, symbolic, ironic, or even original. The acrylic hat and scarf I made off the Bernat boucle wrapper are exquisite, and I can't claim much of the credit for that!

So keep it up, Sportweight! Serenity IS everything it's cracked up to be!
Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2004 :  02:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
My boyfriend isn't into sports, but he has a video game addiction. As long as I am knitting I don't care if he is playing a game for an hour or two or whatever. As soon as I don't have a project, I almost want to kill him for spending so much time playing games when he could be doing something useful... like dishes.
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  06:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
Now I know I should really stop nit-picking, my boyfriend does't like sports or video games! But he is addicted to the wings channel, however he's watches it on his own time, since he's seen just about every series already.
Frenchtoast, I wonder what would happen if you didn't do the dishes and just let them pile up for a few days and started playing his video games...

Go to Top of Page

frenchtoast
Chatty Knitter

Canada
188 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  2:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit frenchtoast's Homepage Send frenchtoast a Private Message
I don't do the dishes! lately I am sooooo busy working, planning our wedding and knitting and everything that I haven't gone to the grocery store, cooked or done the dishes in a long time! I can't stand his adventure-whatever video games. I have my own annoying things: way too much yarn in a way too small apartment, a blog addiction and knitting needles and yarn tags everywhere. I guess we probably drive eachother about equally nuts! He still wants to learn how to knit and is really supportive of my knitting though!
Go to Top of Page

Monkachia
Permanent Resident

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  06:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Monkachia's Homepage Send Monkachia a Private Message
That's great frenchtoast! Congratulations! I'm more than envious. I wish you both the best of luck and happiness!

Chia
Go to Top of Page

bleustocking
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  3:13:31 PM  Show Profile Send bleustocking a Private Message
I took up both knitting and yoga this spring. Between the two of them, I've gotten so serene my DH and my mother have insisted I can't quit either of them. (Not that I would, of course!) But for the yoga I go to class. Knitting is always just at arm's reach!

Deanna
Do as the goddesses did...Ovid
Go to Top of Page

Mokihana
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  09:42:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mokihana's Homepage Send Mokihana a Private Message

I have written about knitting and relationships here:

http://www.hawaiistories.com/mokihana/index.php?p=9

about how knitting yarn is helping me to knit together relationships with other people. Just this week we met in a coffee/yarn shop for our regular meeting, which would not have happened 6 months ago, because no one was knitting. Who would've ever dreamed that teaching one person to knit would have such a lovely result?

Aloha,

Mokihana
Go to Top of Page

YgYo2@aol.com

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  10:37:50 AM  Show Profile Send YgYo2@aol.com a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bleustocking

I took up both knitting and yoga this spring. Between the two of them, I've gotten so serene my DH and my mother have insisted I can't quit either of them. (Not that I would, of course!) But for the yoga I go to class. Knitting is always just at arm's reach!

Deanna
Do as the goddesses did...Ovid

Deanna,

As a knitter and yoga teacher I urge you to treat your yoga more like your knitting. Yoga is at your finger tips when you need it, just like the knitting. Fifteen minutes of asana practice at home every day will make a difference in your class experience. Just do the poses you remember from class and a couple of minutes of corpse pose at the end. I see my knitting time as part of my yoga practice. Both are process oriented with a practicle, specific goal. And it is easier to sit knitting comfortably for long periods of time after a yoga session. It is like meditation after asana.

David
Go to Top of Page

alohaopal@hawaii.rr.com
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  10:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit alohaopal@hawaii.rr.com's Homepage Send alohaopal@hawaii.rr.com a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bunkenbeans@comcast.net

art's sake alone. Maybe I just have an excessive need to feel useful Unlike the art I learned to make in art school 10 years ago, my knitted and crocheted work doesn't have to be complicated,

I think I have the same excessive need to feel useful. I've been out of work for the past 10 years due to a disability and I'm not always able to get housework done. Knitting helps me feel like I'm getting something done and the finished object just makes me burst with warm fuzzy good one me feelings.

Of course this also makes me easier to live with.

Opal

http://alohaopal.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by