Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Synthetic Dyes
 Acid Fast Dyes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2004 :  06:00:32 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I've bought some of the acid fast dyes from EarthGuild to try out in the next few weeks. The instructions are very clear, soak the yarn in vinegar, squirt on the dye solution, place in the cold oven, bring the temp up to 200, then turn off the oven, rinse.

Anyone experienced with these types of dye? I've got some extra yarn to practice on but any advice is appreciated. Thanks,

Rebecca

Dances with Wools

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2004 :  2:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
I am not familiar with these dyes but for some good hints and how-to-do-its try finding a copy of "The Twisted Sisters Sock Book". I have just received my copy and have started reading it. Really great! So if you are into spinning, dyeing or knitting check it out!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2004 :  07:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message
Haven't tried those. I always do mine on the stove top and don't usually do solid colors. I am a handpaint addict. Let us know how it goes.

I also second the book it is great.

Cayli in San Diego

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  05:56:23 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Ok, thanks.
REbecca

Dances with Wools
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  09:55:52 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I have mixed up turqoise, pink and yellow Cushing dyes and put them in squeeze bottles. The yarn has been presoaked in a slightly acid bath with vinegar. After the bath I put the yarn in a glass baking dish and applied the dyes. So pretty! The yarn was put in the oven which was turned to 200. Once the preheat sounded, I turned off the oven and am now waiting for the yarn to cool so that I can rinse it. Wish me good luck!

Rebecca

Dances with Wools
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  08:11:06 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
To complete the thread (no pun intended): the dye rinsed out nicely leaving some very nice blends of color. The turquoise blended with the pink to give some violets and the turqoise with the yellow gave some nice greens. The skeins are hanging to dry and I can't wait to knit the yarn up to see how it looks.

Next project is 8 skeins of peacock/jade green/turquoise.

Rebecca

Dances with Wools
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.