Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 Recommend a good reference book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nangrus
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  08:24:05 AM  Show Profile Send nangrus a Private Message
Would love to buy the Principles of Knitting book, but not for $200+ . Can you recommend another good reference book for much less.

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2004 :  10:40:19 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Vogue Ultimate Knitting Book
The Big Book of Knitting (by K. Buss)

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

silly strings
New Pal

33 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2004 :  7:09:55 PM  Show Profile Send silly strings a Private Message
Another good one for beginners is "Knitting School, A Complete Course", $25. It has no patterns. Every page is brightly illustrated with a technique, which I found very easy to follow with my needles. .

A tip: It is always good to thumb through some of these books before buying, so you get what you are looking for. There are so many knitting books out there and for me anyway, only a few are useful to my way of learning.

My strategy has been to view the books at a local bookstore, then request them on my local library's website so I can really go through them at home to make sure it is a book that matches my learning style.

The Vogue Knitting book is probably the best source I have seen for strict technique. I bought mine at Barnes & Noble.com for 30% off and free shipping last month. I think it is still going for that now
Go to Top of Page

ohyarn
Warming Up

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  12:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit ohyarn's Homepage Send ohyarn a Private Message
Montse Stanley, Knitter's Handbook

-Sandy in NE Ohio
My knitting journal is on livejournal
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  1:05:04 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Nancie Wiseman's Book of Finishing Yechniques and Katharina Buss, Big Book Of Knitting.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Audie
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  3:14:17 PM  Show Profile Send Audie a Private Message
I have Montse Stanley book and i often use it also have Nancie Wiseman"s book of finishing techniques and also have the Principles of Knitting, this one is so large and heavy I don"t use it as much. My fav. at the moment are The Knit Stitch and The Purl Stitch by Sally Melville.
Go to Top of Page

lballas@standard.com

USA
Posted - 05/20/2004 :  3:38:40 PM  Show Profile Send lballas@standard.com a Private Message

I have two books I couldn't live without - Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears and the Readers Digest book on knitting.
Go to Top of Page

Of the Hunt
Warming Up

India
88 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  4:48:32 PM  Show Profile Send Of the Hunt a Private Message
The Katharina Buss book uses such clear language and has some of the very best photos illustrating the techniques. If you are like me, reading out loud (VERY LOUDLY) to myself when I am stuck, or practicing something new, her book is the best! I have a lot of books which I love, but The Big Book of Knitting is the one that gets me through, over and over again.
Go to Top of Page

Jenny B.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  4:51:15 PM  Show Profile Send Jenny B. a Private Message
I use "Knitter's Handbook" (Montse Stanley). It's great! "Knitting Without Tears" is also good, but when I really need to learn a new technique, I turn to Montse :))

Jenny B.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  5:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by achrisvet

Vogue Ultimate Knitting Book
The Big Book of Knitting (by K. Buss)

I agree with Anita that those are the top two. I have also found Debbie Bliss' How to Knit very helpful on specific things such as the complete explanation of all the different names for yarnover, how to do entrelac, and working with beaded knitting. The illustrations are excellent along with the written instructions.
Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  6:35:49 PM  Show Profile Send nellcm a Private Message
you all haven't mentioned Knitting in Plain English which is one of my favorites.

what is Principles of Knitting and why in the world does it cost so much?
nell
Go to Top of Page

maganna
Chatty Knitter

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  6:54:28 PM  Show Profile Send maganna a Private Message
I just saw this book at the library. It is something like 540 pages and is very detailed. It shows not only 33 ways to cast on, but then tells you when to use them. It is really amazing. But, it is no longer printed so that makes it expensive too because you can't just buy it off the shelf anymore.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  05:23:26 AM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
My personal favorite is Knitting for Dummies. I have most of the "big name" knitting books (Vogue, Montse Stanley, etc.) but keep going to K for D more than any other.

My advice to you is to look through any book you are thinking of buying before you buy! What one person might think is fabulous may not be all that for you!
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  11:35:45 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
Is "Principle of Knitting"being reprinted & how much will it cost?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  1:55:51 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Here's my vote for Knitting in plain English.

Rumour has it that Principles is being re-printed, but I don't know anymoe than that. It's worth getting out of the library to look at. I learned to do a backwards long tail cast-on from her, very useful for double knitting or alternating st. for whatever reason.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

media.teatime@gmail.com

USA
Posted - 05/21/2004 :  4:27:29 PM  Show Profile Send media.teatime@gmail.com a Private Message
The book I taught myself to knit from was...no kidding...Kids Knitting, by Melanie Falick. My sister bought me Stitch 'n' beach, by Debbie Stoller, which I love. I tend to use the web as a reference source, too.
Go to Top of Page

jennywhite
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  5:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit jennywhite's Homepage Send jennywhite a Private Message
I'm a big fan of the Reader's Digest complete guide to needlecraft. It has clear, illustrated instructions for almost anything! I also love that it has instructions for crochetting, needlepoint, macrame, knitting, ect. It's sort of my needlecraft bible!
Go to Top of Page

gailmowry
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  11:43:57 AM  Show Profile Send gailmowry a Private Message
I have many knitting referance books but the one I always find the answer I need in is Reader's Digest Knitter's Handbook. I always pack it when I go on vacation. Gail
Go to Top of Page

b_smiling@sympatico.ca

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  2:43:47 PM  Show Profile Send b_smiling@sympatico.ca a Private Message
I personally found that the book called "Stich n beach, The Knitters Handbook" by Debbie Stoller was the easiest for me to understand. The patterns are easy and alot of fun to do. The diagrams are very helpful and has alot of humor in it as well.
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  4:34:45 PM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
Stitch n beach is a good book! I have that one, too.

I have heard that Principles of Knitting is NOT being reprinted. I cannot remember what list it was I was reading, but the subject came up there. Who knows?? I've never seen the book but have heard many people rave about it. What can you guys who've seen it tell me about it?
Go to Top of Page

OryxRun
Seriously Hooked

USA
625 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2004 :  7:24:28 PM  Show Profile Send OryxRun a Private Message
Well, I have quite a few mentioned here so I suppose the "how to" section of my library is well stocked. The Big Book of Knitting, Knitting without Tears, Knitting in Plain English, Vogue Knitting (Older edition) and Knitting Know-How (very old). I checked Knitting for Dummies out of the library and enjoyed it very much but with all the other books I have i couldn't justify the purchase. I agree with with Spin or Knit, spend some time with the books, either at the library or book store, before buying to get a feel for the author's style and book set up. When all else fails...check here!!!

Stay well,
Mary
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by