Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 Recommend a good reference book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2004 :  10:32:47 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by spin_or_knit

Stitch n beach is a good book! I have that one, too.

I have heard that Principles of Knitting is NOT being reprinted. I cannot remember what list it was I was reading, but the subject came up there. Who knows?? I've never seen the book but have heard many people rave about it. What can you guys who've seen it tell me about it?

This is not a book to cozy up with in front of a roaring fire. It's dry and factual, but it covers almost everything. Did you know that you can do the long tail cast on with the strands reversed? Very useful for double knitting, or if you want to cast on 2 colours at once. I get it out of the library and rifle through it periodically. It's how I learned to do double knitting.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2004 :  10:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
Good references are the Harmony books. There is a series of them and different Guilds use them for references. Price runs anywhere from $14.00 to $20.00 Can$.

Good luck, I think you should always have a few good reference books because theres not one book that will carry all your info you need.
Go to Top of Page

Dsynr4452
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  2:52:32 PM  Show Profile Send Dsynr4452 a Private Message
There a a few sites on the 'Net with old knitting and crochet books.
Some of them are very good.

Try Thrift shops too. Some of my best finds:

"The Learn How Book" is very good if you are just starting out.

I also have a very old book with just patterns. It includes crochet, tatting, lace-making, embroidery, tapestry, everything.

I FOUND IT IN THE TRASH ON A TRIP TO MAINE. Someone had thrown it out and it was laying on the pile of garbage bags. I just picked it up. It's very old, so some of the stuff is a little dated.
I lent it to a friend to learn a technique. When she returns it, I'll re-post. You may be able to get it in a used book store or at a thrift shop. It has drawings to show you how to do the work.

Dsynr
Go to Top of Page

nangrus
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  12:29:18 PM  Show Profile Send nangrus a Private Message
I recently purchased Vogue Ultimate Knitting and could not believe they suggested to cut the yarn at end of every row and slide down needle for a circular needle swatch...I thought this book was supposed to be so fantastic...why in the world would you want a sloppy, loose swatch full of tail ends?
Go to Top of Page

nangrus
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  12:33:18 PM  Show Profile Send nangrus a Private Message
I recently purchased Vogues Ultimate Knitting. Have to say I am very disappointed after all the hipe I've heard on this book. They recommend cutting the ends of year on each row on circular swatches, slide the row back down the needle to begin another row of the swatch. Why would you want all those loose ends dangling. It makes for a very sloppy stitch gauge. Cant believe it..
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by nangrus

I recently purchased Vogues Ultimate Knitting. Have to say I am very disappointed after all the hipe I've heard on this book. They recommend cutting the ends of year on each row on circular swatches, slide the row back down the needle to begin another row of the swatch. Why would you want all those loose ends dangling. It makes for a very sloppy stitch gauge. Cant believe it..

It's probably just me, but I haven't found the Vogue books particularly helpful. The writing style just didn't click for me, and I often found myself more confused about something after I read about it, than I had before!

Barbara

My photos:

My new blog:
Go to Top of Page

spin_or_knit
Permanent Resident

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  5:42:59 PM  Show Profile Send spin_or_knit a Private Message
Vogue doesn't do it for me either! Hubby has an older copy of the big hard cover book--not too old, bu the edition before the most recent. I bought the little "pocket" Vogue, too, and really I feel it was a waste of money.
Go to Top of Page

knitty knotty
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  3:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Send knitty knotty a Yahoo! Message Send knitty knotty a Private Message
I like Stitch'n'beach, too. My local library has it and I just made the knitting tote. It's really easy and turned out great.
Go to Top of Page

Jax
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  06:44:24 AM  Show Profile Send Jax a Private Message
I contacted the original publisher of "The Principles of Knitting" about a year or so ago. They said there are no plans to reprint the book. I pointed out that there is a huge upsurge of interest in knitting, but was informed that there is "no market" for the book. I pointed out that used copies see for upwards of $300. Still, they stuck to the story that no one wants the book.
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  07:48:24 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
As for reference books, Vogue Knitting, SnB, and Book of Finishing Techniques (Wiseman) are in my library. The Big Book Of Knitting (Buss) is also a really good book, which my cousin has, so I just borrow hers when I need it.
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  10:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
I'm very picky about my books, so hopefully this will help you.
The two books I pull out again and agains are
Knitting for Dummies, by Pam Allen
Knitters book of Finishing Techniques, by Nancie Wiseman

~Sarah Elizabeth
 Spinners make the world go round.
Keep on knitting on!
http://knitonespintoo.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Idoknit
Chatty Knitter

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  03:19:15 AM  Show Profile Send Idoknit a Private Message
Basic Knitting. This is a great book. Close up pictures and 10 projects that are desireable to knit. Large 81/2 by 11 inches. Can't remember the author. Stafford or something like that. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

dumplin
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  06:32:31 AM  Show Profile Send dumplin a Private Message
The books I have that I return to over and over are
The Knitter's Handbook - Vicki Square (fits perfect in my knitting bag)
Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Knitting
The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques (I love the pro's and con's)I go to this one quite a bit and I've never knitted a sweater. I hope that doesn't make me a bad knitter!

D
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2004 :  6:08:08 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by nangrus

I recently purchased Vogue Ultimate Knitting and could not believe they suggested to cut the yarn at end of every row and slide down needle for a circular needle swatch...I thought this book was supposed to be so fantastic...why in the world would you want a sloppy, loose swatch full of tail ends?

Actually this sounds interesting to me. Does anybody do this? My stockinette gauge often differs drastically between flat knitting and circular knitting because my tension on purls isn't the same as knits. I often have difficulty getting an accurate gauge swatch for a circular piece. I read in EZ's Knitting Without Tears that she just starts to make a hat, but that seems like an awful lot of knitting for a swatch, especially if you're working in a finer guage, and, anyway, you're not always going to have a comparable circular in a shorter length to do this. Am I crazy, or would this technique actually be helpful to someone like me, as long as i measured in the middle, far away from the scary loose ends?

By the way, I should say hi to everyone...this is only my 3rd post. I'm a new and ridiculously obsessed knitter who lives right outside Chicago with my husband, my cat, and our one-year-old bookstore. (As I often say, some people get married and have kids--we got married and had a bookstore)
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  3:01:05 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RachelKnitter
This sounds interesting to me. Does anybody do this? My stockinette gauge often differs drastically between flat knitting and circular knitting because my tension on purls isn't the same as knits. I often have difficulty getting an accurate gauge swatch for a circular piece. I read in EZ's Knitting Without Tears that she just starts to make a hat, but that seems like an awful lot of knitting for a swatch, especially if you're working in a finer guage, and, anyway, you're not always going to have a comparable circular in a shorter length to do this. Am I crazy, or would this technique actually be helpful to someone like me, as long as i measured in the middle, far away from the scary loose ends?

By the way, I should say hi to everyone...this is only my 3rd post. I'm a new and ridiculously obsessed knitter who lives right outside Chicago with my husband, my cat, and our one-year-old bookstore. (As I often say, some people get married and have kids--we got married and had a bookstore)

First off, hi, and welcome to KR.

I've solved the circular swatch problem by using the 2 circulars method. You can use either that or magic loop to make a tube of any size, so no need to cut ends or anything like that to get a reasonably sized swatch on circular needles.

Barbara

My photos:

My new blog:
Go to Top of Page

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  4:37:05 PM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
Welcome RachelKnitter. I haven't tried the technique described for circular knitting swatch, but have seen it recommended in Principles of Knitting. Which IS a very detailed book. She leaves a long tail at each end of the swatch. (About 2"). She suggested using swatch as a fringed coaster. I'm currently working flat, but am going to try it on my next circular piece. I'll post after I try it.

One who works with his hands is a laborer. With hands & head; a craftsman. With hands, head & heart an artist. (Paraphrase St. Francis of Assissi)
Go to Top of Page

mwyn
Permanent Resident

USA
1419 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2004 :  4:38:35 PM  Show Profile Send mwyn a Private Message
P.S. Read shaggy's Giving the Cat A Pill joke. I had tears from laughting. mwyn

One who works with his hands is a laborer. With hands & head; a craftsman. With hands, head & heart an artist. (Paraphrase St. Francis of Assissi)
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  10:34:57 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mwyn

P.S. Read shaggy's Giving the Cat A Pill joke. I had tears from laughting. mwyn

Hilarious! I've given up with my cat. He's from the school of "oh pet me, pet me, purr, purr!" And then he bites you and scratches you with all his might. He bites because he loves.

Anyhow, if I ever make it out of my current project alive, I plan to learn socks next, and two circulars seem like the least scary way for me for now. Once I learn that, that sounds like a great way to swatch for circular pieces, but I guess then you need not one, but two of the same size needle......<sigh>. How is it possible to need so many tools?!

Rachel
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2004 :  8:42:24 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RachelKnitter

Anyhow, if I ever make it out of my current project alive, I plan to learn socks next, and two circulars seem like the least scary way for me for now. Once I learn that, that sounds like a great way to swatch for circular pieces, but I guess then you need not one, but two of the same size needle......<sigh>. How is it possible to need so many tools?!

Rachel

Yes, you need (at least, depending on how many WIPs you have ) 2 of ea. size, but you don't need all the different lengths, so I think you come out ahead.

Barbara

My photos:

My new blog:
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  09:32:39 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
The drawback to the Big Book of Knitting is that it has a poor index in the back -- very basic indexing and I usually thumb through the book to find what I need. I had to do this recently for purling through the back loop -- it wasn't in the index or even anything similar but I did find it in the book with very good pictures. Knitting in Plain English and Knitting for Dummies have much better indexes and I find what need faster.
Donna
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.