Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Book recommendations and questions
 Books on Tape?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  5:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I've taken to listening to books in the car, since I just can't stomach the radio anymore. I also like to listen while I knit.

Right now I'm "reading" A Widow for a Year (by J Irving) and can't decide if I don't like the book, or don't like the reader.

What are some audio books others like?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."

kristajo
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
436 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  6:15:32 PM  Show Profile Send kristajo a Private Message
It might be the book.... John Irving tends to irritate me!

I like listening to classic audio books. Right now I'm listening to Heart of Darkness. It's one of my favourite books, I've read it a million times but I'm learning more about it by hearing it read, especially since the main narrative is framed as a story being told aloud.

One of my pet peeves is when male narrators speak in falsetto to denote women. They should just read! That being said, I do think the guy who narrates the Harry Potter books does a fantastic job of reading/acting.

An old standby is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - it's not really an audio book, more of a radio play, but it's very well produced and uproariously funny.

I used to listen to audiobooks all the time while knitting, now I can knit and watch movies too, but I still enjoy the audiobooks.

Cheers,

Krista Jo
http://knitwit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4379 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  6:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I love to listen to Eudora Welty read her own words -- The Optimist's Daughter is on tape, as are some of her short stories. Toni Morrison's voice is like silk, so listening to her read her work is amazing, and you get the full intention of every word through her reading.

I spent many long hours at the loom, years ago, weaving my way through most of Dickens, Austen, and anybody else I could get my hands on. That was back before libraries had audiobooks on a large scale, so I rented them by mail from Recorded Books. I miss it sometimes, but now I read a book whenever I'm in the car for more than a few minutes.

Oh, yeah...check out Bill Bryson reading A Short History of Nearly Everything --it's wonderful, too!

Jane
(on the end of
Long Island, NY)

Go to Top of Page

Figaroz
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  7:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Figaroz a Yahoo! Message Send Figaroz a Private Message
I am the queen of books on tape! I have a REALLY long commute so it is the only thing that makes traffic just disapper in my mind. When I am listening to a really good book, I forget about how long it is taking to get home, or how long I've been in traffic. I've tried knitting in stop and go traffic, but I always get so into the knitting that when I look up, the car ahead of me is far away!

Currently I am listening to "Plains of Passage" my Jean Auel (or something like that). It is pretty good, but not my favorite. I listen to whatever I see at the library that stikes my fancy.

My favorites are anything by Patricia Cornwell, or Janet Evanovitch (sp?). Very different authors, but there you have it!

By the way, if you are looking for a good laugh and a good book, check out "Me Talk Pretty one Day" by David Sedaris. He reads the book (which I love) and he is hysterical! I really prefer when the author reads the book anyway, I think they know best how it should be said.

Figs
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  9:49:19 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
What a timely topic for me. I just bought an iPod so I can download books and listen to them I have jury duty next week, so I hope it will keep me occupied while I wait. The problem is, I can't decide what book to download to listen too. I'd like a good woman's story, but I have all ready read most of the author's I like....any good suggestions from listener's?

Thanks...

Shirley in Claremont, CA (& sometimes, Dana Point)

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2004 :  11:38:11 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I think Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is the best radio series I have ever heard. Other than that I can't add much because I don't drive.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  03:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I loved the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series on tape - the reader is just right for the stories. I listened - and then read!

Ferol Sams reads the best Christmas Gift! and I listen to it over and over and over the month of December - Missa Pharoah. sigh

surprisingly - I listened to the entire tape of Rudolph Giulani's book Leadership even though I didn't care for the reader that much. A lot of guy narrators have nasal voices.

Oh! Lord John and the Private Matter - Diana Gabeldon - he's a minor character in her Outlander series. Extremely good and well read.

hmmmm

I also like to listen to time management and organizational books on tape.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  04:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Yes, I'll definitely look forward to Lord John (haven't read it, but nearly have memorized the Outlander series - did I tell you how Ken and I BOTH quoted them in our vows???) and I agree - the Harry Potter reader did very well - I just re"read" book 5 on tape. And I do keep meaning to read the No.1 Ladies Detective... I don't think I saw Lord John or those at the library when I went - I'll check again. Ken would probably listen to Lord John in the car tomorrow for our trip....

A pet peeve, the one that finally got me to just give up on Widow for a Year:

At the end of the tape, the reader says "This ends side one. Please turn the cassette over" and "This ends the first cassette. Please insert cassette two to continue."

Not only does it really interrupt the flow of the story, but did they think that if they didn't include that sentence, I'd be sitting there, staring at the other 16 cassettes in the package going "Gosh, the story doesn't seem finished yet. What the heck do I do with these other tapes???"

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  05:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I know what you mean, but at the same time, some of the books have long pauses between chapters and I found myself wishing for the clue that this tape is over....

I love the Diana Gabaldon series and the Jean Auel series. Janet Evanovich, John Grisham and Tom Clancy are some of my favorites. John Sanford, too.

I'd like to hear the Maeve Binchy books, but my library doesn't seem to have them.

I can't do romance novels on tape - somehow I get embarrased listening to someone relate a steamy love scene aloud to me.LOL

Linda, knitting and now spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

Nelleknits
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  07:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Nelleknits a Yahoo! Message Send Nelleknits a Private Message
OK, so where is the best place to purchace these books on tape. I joined an audio book club but it seems like they never have the new releases.

MaryEllen :)
Washington State
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  09:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
How about just using the library MaryEllen! :) They're too expensive to buy.
Amie- have you heard any of the Sweet Potato Queens books read by the author, Jill Connor Brown? You will be crying and laughing. I had to rewind because I was laughing so hard I missed stuff.
Also, how about young adult books on tape? I used to check these out because I had a shorter car ride. I liked the Tamora Pierce books and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and Whale Talk.
(all available at your local public library or for Amie who is in Maryland - can be borrowed via Marina from another Maryland public library)
Gee, can you tell I'm a librarian?
Christina P.

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Pictures: http://photos.yahoo.com/cpikas
Go to Top of Page

Nelleknits
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  09:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Nelleknits a Yahoo! Message Send Nelleknits a Private Message
Library...........hmmm good idea thanks! How about a tape exchange???????

MaryEllen :)
Washington State
Go to Top of Page

mec
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  2:51:53 PM  Show Profile Send mec a Private Message
I can get audio books at my used book store. They have kept me company through a lot of fiber-infested winter evenings.

Oh joy and happiness, spring has finally come to Alaska!
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2004 :  8:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
We have been listening to John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charlie" on the way across America. It is very good and funny. We borrowed it from our neighbor who buys a lot of books on tape from our used bookstore. We also have Michael Crichton's "Timeline", at least I think that's the title! It's packed somewhere right now. We are in Georgia, visiting our old log house and friends, going to Asheville tomorrow afternoon to visit family and take care of dh's business part of the trip. Barb

Barb
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2004 :  05:51:41 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I've been listening to cd books in the car for the past two years now and some favorites have been The Mitford books, The Incident of the Dog in the Night, The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency and The Kalahari Men's Typing School, etc.

My sister got me interested in joining the ashgroveaudio.com book exchange online. You earn points when you turn in used tapes or cd books and can buy from their discounted used list. Shipping is free.

Thanks for your suggestions. It helps me pick the next book!

Dances with Wools
Go to Top of Page

mottstreetsara
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  04:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit mottstreetsara's Homepage Send mottstreetsara a Private Message
I love listening to anything by either David Sedaris or David Rakoff on cd. They're both monologists and so the pieces are really meant to be read out loud. Everyone I've played them for have found them hysterical, and they make long car trips (almost) fly by.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4379 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  08:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mottstreetsara

I love listening to anything by either David Sedaris or David Rakoff on cd. They're both monologists and so the pieces are really meant to be read out loud. Everyone I've played them for have found them hysterical, and they make long car trips (almost) fly by.

David Sedaris' Carnegie Hall CD made me laugh so hard I had to pull off to the side of the road! More than once!

Jane
(on the end of
Long Island, NY)

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  10:13:53 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I managed to find "The Hand Maid's Tale" by Margaret Atwoof at my closest library. I haven't started lsitenin to it yet, but the scary thing is, it sounds like we're half way to Gilead.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Sunnylady2003
New Pal

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  12:39:52 PM  Show Profile Send Sunnylady2003 a Private Message
I am working my way through Hugh Frazer reading the Hercule Poirot books - which I probably would not read but they are really enjoyably read.

Robert Hardy reading the Patrick Obrien novels about Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin (of which the film Master and Commander is but a mere part): I've listened to those tapes three times.

The cover to cover (full text) versions of Jane Austen and things like Wuthering Heights - things that were childhood favourites but to actually sit and read them takes too much time but in the car they are wonderful - and so many victorian novels were written at a time when people still read aloud

Oh and I nearly forgot: His Dark Materials read by Philip Pulman with a cast of actors as the characters (one of the rare authors who CAN read his own stuff - have yet to "read" Garrison Keiler but gather he is good)

SL
Go to Top of Page

Figaroz
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  6:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Figaroz a Yahoo! Message Send Figaroz a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by linda-gail

I can't do romance novels on tape - somehow I get embarrased listening to someone relate a steamy love scene aloud to me.LOL

Linda, knitting and now spinning away in MD

Linda: I know exactly what you mean! There are a some pretty hot scenes in the Jean Auel book I am listening to and I find it embarassing to listen to! I don't get embarassed actually reading them, but listening to it is different. In fact, I was sitting in traffic when one of these scenes came up and I started to get paranoid and wonder if people in the car next to me could hear it so I turned it down really low. Silly, I know, but there you have it!

Figs
Go to Top of Page

freecia
Chatty Knitter

195 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  11:35:01 PM  Show Profile Send freecia a Private Message
My favorite audiobook is Microserfs by Douglas Coupland and read by Matthew Perry (Chandler from Friends) though if you're not a computer geek it might not be extremely funny. If you like romance you might try audiobooks by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. They're read by a woman who has woman an audie, the voice equivalent of an oscar.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?