Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Yarn Stores Around the Globe
 knitting cafes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jax
Warming Up

67 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  2:15:20 PM  Show Profile Send Jax a Private Message
I'd love to see a list of yarn shops that are also coffee houses/cafes. Tell me about your faves!

Jax

Mokihana
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  8:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mokihana's Homepage Send Mokihana a Private Message
Well, this isn't exactly a yarn shop... but in the Gresham and Clackamas, Oregon, area, Coffee's On, which used to be just for espresso, etc, is now carrying quite a lot of scarf yarns. They have a lot of yarns crammed into just a little space, competing with the tables where people sit and drink/munch/chat. Not ideal as a regular yarn shop, but people who were never exposed to knitting are now buying yarn like crazy and learning to knit.

I meet friends there for coffee, and surreptitiously let my eyes wander to the yarn bins while we talk, just watching to see if I spy one that might want to go home with me. Their prices are very competitive, and they carry needles as well as an amazingly wide variety of yarns.

Coffee's On is located on Sunnyside Road just east of SE 122nd in Clackamas, and in Gresham on Eastman Parkway next to Craft Warehouse.

Aloha,

Mokihana
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  8:53:45 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
There is a new one that just opened in Toronto, Knit0Matic. I haven't been there yet, but it is the only knit acef in the city. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd like to buy yarn that smells like coffee.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  9:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
KnitNY in NYC is a yarn shop/cafe.
Go to Top of Page

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  04:51:46 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
THE SNOW GOOSE is the best in the Milton,Ma. area to join others to knit,& you can get coffee & lots of anything at either the restaurant next doors or The Fruit Market down stairs.AND THEY`RE ALL inside the same building.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

lento@chorus.net
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  05:29:12 AM  Show Profile Send lento@chorus.net a Private Message
The Sow's Ear in Verona, Wisconsin is the first yarn shop/coffee house in the Madison area. In a lovely old home, The Sow's Ear has gorgeous yarns, needles, books and knitting accessories in one half, and sells coffee, plain and specialties, tea and baked goods in the other half. It's fun to see a mix of men reading the newspaper with their coffee next to a group of knitters comparing projects and helping one another. The shop staff is extremely helpful and they offer many classes.
Go to Top of Page

PokeSaladAnnie
New Pal

0 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  05:34:24 AM  Show Profile Send PokeSaladAnnie a Private Message
I am new to knitting. Every third Wednesday of the Month we meet in the upper level of Barnes and Noble Book Store to share the projects we are working on and discuss where to buy our supplies. One member last week discussed a "knit crawl" where a few women got together, meet in New York and went to various knitting stores via cab rides. Sometimes people who write books on knitting stop by and read some of their book while we knit. The store is on Rt. 17 Southside in Ridgewood, New Jersey.
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  06:41:23 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I love knitting and drinking good coffee; your shops sound so tantalizing! There is nothing like that here in little ole'Winchester, VA.

Rebecca

Dances with Wools
Go to Top of Page

moojmoo
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  07:23:24 AM  Show Profile Send moojmoo a Private Message

What a lovely idea! Does anyone know of such a place in Seattle and surrounding area? I live on the eastside but enjoy going into Seattle. It would be wonderful to find a shop that knows how to make a cup of tea, too! We have tons of coffee shops where one could knit but they have no clue on how to make a decent cuppa.
Go to Top of Page

nellcm
Chatty Knitter

161 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  07:50:38 AM  Show Profile Send nellcm a Private Message
i haven't been there yet, but i think Churchmouse Tea and Yarns on Bainbridge Island (in the puget Sound area)has tea and coffee. i love the idea of a Knit Cafe. with all the coffee in western washington i'm surprised that there isn't one in our area yet.
nell
Go to Top of Page

pswolf@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  09:26:33 AM  Show Profile Send pswolf@aol.com a Private Message
There is a new Knit Shop/Coffee Shop which opened recently on Willamette Falls Drive in the Willamette section of West Linn, OR. I had the oportunity to visit this shop while visiting my daughter and grandkids recently. I am sorry I don't remember the exact name of the shop but anyone in the area would know where to find it. They are very new and still stocking the shelves but they already had a lovely selection and my low carb vanilla latte was delicious!

Pat W. in Hillsborough, CA
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  09:28:28 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
While Jeff & I are still in the planning stage for our deli/bakery, we have already decided that we'll be adding yarn and knitting supplies in the first few years. As far as the coffee and tea goes, we'll never be a Starbucks (who could?) but we do plan on serving a few fine roasts and Stash tea, including chai.

We'll be visiting Janesville, WI after my Annual Training for the NG. I wonder if Verona is very far...

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

jocelyn@icbleu.org

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  10:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit jocelyn@icbleu.org's Homepage Send jocelyn@icbleu.org a Private Message
While not exactly a coffee house, nor a cafe, the Whistle Stop in San Diego is an excellent place to knit the hours away. Billing itself as a real neighborhood Bar and Grill, it has long been known to dog lovers and knitters alike as a great place to go and relax with good friends. They host a no cover charge Knit it! On the first and third Sunday of the month starting at 2:30 in the afternoon Ö Just donít try to knit anything too complicated if you are going to drink. LOL!

Now if there were a coffee house somewhere in San Diego that we could meet at instead, I could get that lace shawl going.

Jocelyn In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

Jackie Ritchie
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  12:49:15 PM  Show Profile Send Jackie Ritchie a Private Message

In Alanson,Michigan we have the Dutch Oven Shops. It's a great bakery and good yarn and needlework shop. Whenever we travel "up north" anywhere near there, I'll suggest to my husband that we go to the bakery in Alanson. Darn, he remembers that it's a yarn shop too. But he takes me there, anyway.
Jackie in Ann Arbor
Go to Top of Page

soulful-creations
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  1:55:52 PM  Show Profile Send soulful-creations a Private Message
I am opening a yarn and tea store north of Seattle in October. We are selling and serving tea and also we will serve afternoon tea. We are planning to carry a veriety of yarns from traditional to novelty. This is a dream recognized and realized for me. The name of the shop is Village Yarn & Tea Shop. There will be cozy chairs to sit and knit as well as a fireplace to complete the theme.
Go to Top of Page

mrourke@adobe.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  4:37:52 PM  Show Profile Send mrourke@adobe.com a Private Message
Hi Soulful -

Yippee!!! Where in N Seattle will your shop be located?

Mary, avid knitter in Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

AnitaP
Warming Up

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  6:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit AnitaP's Homepage Send AnitaP a Private Message
moojmoo -

I've heard that you can get a good cup of tea at Sassy in Redmond. Also in Redmond is the British Pantry. My British friends tell me that Americans stink at making tea!

Anita
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  7:53:39 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Anita, don't want to start a war, but I agree. I have been to US restaurants that do not even HAVE tea! The only US city I have been to where a decent cuppa was served is San Francisco, or Russsian spots in NYC. Whenever I travel I always bring my own mini kettle, my favourite teas, and powdered milk, as most places give you creamer(fake sugar and fat)or cream.

I hope that all these knit cafes/tea rooms increase the availabilty of good tea!

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Mokihana
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2004 :  11:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mokihana's Homepage Send Mokihana a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pswolf@aol.com

There is a new Knit Shop/Coffee Shop which opened recently on Willamette Falls Drive in the Willamette section of West Linn, OR. Pat W. in Hillsborough, CA

Could you tell me more where this is located? I know the area but am having a hard time picturing where it is... I am assuming that it's in the older section there of West Linn... where the shops line the "indented" areas of the road???

Thanks!

Aloha,

Mokihana
Go to Top of Page

Knitterbugs
Chatty Knitter

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  06:15:14 AM  Show Profile Send Knitterbugs a Private Message
Victoria, I wish I lived in Washington (I live in New Hampshire). I would be a regular in your shop. I'm a tea drinker, and I feel discriminated against when I go into restaurants. Coffee drinkers get a big pot or they get free refills, but tea drinkers get a tiny pot that holds about a cup and a half if you're lucky (with no free refills). This country is coffee coffee coffee. There are a few tea houses popping up, but not many, and they're mostly in the big cities and hard to find.

~Pam

Knitterbugs
http://journals.aol.com/knitterbugs/knittingblog
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  07:40:17 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Pam, at least I've never been charged for tea refills! How ghastly! And usually the tea served is yucky, bottom of the barrel in a bag, but there is some hope. Tea drining knitters unite!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?