Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 terry cloth yarn???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jerseygirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  7:32:46 PM  Show Profile Send jerseygirl a Private Message
i may be confusing the texture, but isnt there a yarn out there that has a terry cloth feel to it? if so has anyone tried it and how does it hold up?

im asking because i just got an idea (scary isnt it LOL) about a hat for my daughter. she is a swimmer and this winter she constantly had cold head when we would come home from swim pratice. i bought a hat from old navy for her, but all it did was give her hat hair on top of a cold head. i was thinking of making her a hat out of an absorbant yarn that wouldnt just keep her cold wet hair against her head.
any suggestions?
barb

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  7:42:44 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Cotton chenille is fluffy and absorbant like terry cloth. I use it to make extra special "spa" facecloths, and I've seen patterns for gorgeous bathrobes made out of it. One of the best brands (thought pricey) is Crystal Palace.

However, for your daughter's wet head, I would use wool to make a hat, since wool, unlike cotton, stays warm even when wet. That would be the warmest option. (The wilderness guru at my schools always goes around saying "Cotton kills" to the student who shows up for an expedition with cotton shirts and trousers and socks. They need wool or polypro in order to be safe/warm) I have actually bought polypro yarn which was very plushy and very warm. I found it on eBay.

Good luck!

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

gabsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

380 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2004 :  10:41:53 PM  Show Profile Send gabsmom a Private Message
Crystal Palace does have a nice terry feel to it but it has no stretch whatsoever so I don't know if that would make a good hat. I recently knit a sweater for my son with Cascade Fixation that reminded me of terry cloth and has a lot of give. Elann has a similar yarn (I think it is called Esprit). But I must agree with Elizabeth that a wooly hat would be a better choice.
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  11:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Check out lion Brand Terryspun. It feels pretty nice knitted up, if you are looking for acrylic.

Linda, knitting and now spinning away in MD
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  11:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I was going to suggest Terryspun, too, but also issue the warning that it can be tricky to knit - it's got a gazillion (actual count) little loopy things that give it that terry cloth feel, and provide plenty of opportunitites to snag on your needles and anything else nearby (in my experience, it was about 50/50 snags of my needle or kitten claws, but it's been a while since I knit with it...)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

jerseygirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2004 :  12:09:48 PM  Show Profile Send jerseygirl a Private Message
thanks fellow knitters.

so i was right in that there is a terry cloth feeling yarn out there, but from what i am reading, wool is the way to go. now that i know what yarn to buy....im off to find the perfect pattern!!!

thanks bunches *blowing kisses*

barb
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.