Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Do you sort by color or by weight?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  11:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
I store my current projects in the plastic buckets. I find they stack nicely. If you don't have time to stash you knitting away you can lay it on top or if you have a curious cat you can stash it inside. Also I top it off with a coaster (so it doesn't melt the bucket lid) to put my coffee on. If the buckets are three high...perfect for an easy reach! LOL
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2004 :  07:16:23 AM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
I live on a sailboat so my stash has to be stored in ziplock bags or those Samsonite travel bags that you can push the air out of. Leaks pop up on old sailboats all the time and I need to protect my stash against water, especially salt water -- and of course the cat finds all sorts of hidey-holes to nap and I don't want him snoozing on the unprotected yarn. Fortunately my sailboat has lots of storage and I would rather have more of a yarn stash than lots of clothes -- My wooden needles kept in a needlecase which is put into a ziplock bag -- to protect against salt water -- and one can have termites on a boat too. I don't want them feasting on my needles -- they can find dinner else where!

Annie

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page

Knit Twit
Chatty Knitter

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  10:11:07 PM  Show Profile Send Knit Twit a Private Message
Hi! So far, I have just been putting all of my yarn into big Rubbermaid bins, but now I'm finding that it's hard for me to find what I want and easy for me to forget what I have. So, this weekend I picked up some smaller, latch-top, see-through Rubbermaid containers and plan to sort my yarn, which is now mostly sock yarn, by brand (e.g., little Koigu box, little Opal box, etc.). If I get really ambitious, maybe I might even label the boxes, LOL!

Terri :)

Discretionary Spending = Yarn and Teddy Bears
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  11:01:20 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I have my yarn seperated. Sock yarn in the dresser in my dining/knitting room along w/ other knitting supplies...extra needles,etc. I have clear bins stacked in the garage w/ the yarn that I don't know what I'll do with but don't want to get rid of yet. In the linen closet I have my projects I want to do next. In my bedroom closet are yarns I love, but have no idea what I'm going to make w/ them. Then I have several large wicker baskets in my livingroom w/ my WIPS and those projects that are knitted up just need to be put together or blocked and put together.....oh yeah...forgot my hope chest in the diningroom. That has some of my very expensive yarn in that...it's made of cedar so I figured it will be safe from bugs...I have cashmere, silks, angora, and some acrylics like my touch me. I also have another small box of sock yarn in there....my cotton/elastic like fixation and breeze from down under. How do I know where everything is you ask??? I have just spent the last several weeks unloading and organizing my stash. Mike finally left so I have alot of room available. I just now realize I have so much more room to store more yarn!!!NOT!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  04:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Vicki, have you been knitting like crazy the last few months? What have you made? And, dare I ask, are you still buying yarn or are you shopping in your stash?
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  3:14:25 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I now have every Friday off, so I decided to go through my stash this morning & separate it according to what kind of fiber it is. I have clear Rubbermaid containers for my stash, but now that we have a second bedroom, I have an old bureau(antique) where I will end of putting a lot of my stash. Haven't gotten to that yet, but so far I have all my cotton in one container, wool in another, charity yarn in another & novelty yarns in another box. I think the novelty yarn will go in the bureau because there's quite a bit of it to store!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  4:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
For me, shelves contain yarns of similar weight, since I like to combine things for my own designs. Mostly I have wool, but the bits of cotton or silk or linen tend to cling together. Cones are all together no matter what weight. I don't have a lot of novelty yarn, but that tends to all hang out together.
When I managed a large guild group we knit a lot for charity. I did an open request at one point for donations of yarn. A lot came in. The only way that made sense, when we received a lot of single balls, was by colour. That looked very nice in the clear bins.

Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

zehava
Chatty Knitter

Canada
335 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  12:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit zehava's Homepage Send zehava a Private Message
i sort basically by colour... i just love opening my closet to a rainbow or yarn :D

-z
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3935 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  05:28:58 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
I am in the sort???? category which is strange for me because I am always organizing everything. My family and friends would be amazed to find out I don't sort my yarn. I actually never thought of sorting yarn until this discussion.
Donna of VA
Go to Top of Page

NYC milktoast
Chatty Knitter

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  07:12:32 AM  Show Profile Send NYC milktoast a Private Message
I chuck everything into shoe boxes....they are all under our bed or tucked in our bulginig closet.....a few balls are in ziplock bags....more of them should be....its all really not orderly. We have a Container Store here and I should really go there and invest in some good, see through boxes.....especially now that I'm trying to grow my stash!

M!
Go to Top of Page

DBrodeur

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  09:25:03 AM  Show Profile Send DBrodeur a Private Message
I got really lucky when we enclosed a screen porch. I lined all the walls with bookcases & that is now my yarn room. It's behind french doors from the rest of the house so cats can't go out there & it stays bug free. Everything is visable when I stand in the middle of it all, turn around, & go WOW!

I started sorting by weight/type of fiber. It soon became out of control when I brought home a new something or other & that shelf was full.

Then I read somewhere that it's a good idea to sort by color. Sounds good, but where do I start???

Guess I'll stick to the stand in the middle of it all & turn around method.

Fortunately, my husband has never complained about the yarn. I make sure he gets at least one new sweater a year.
Go to Top of Page

Bflexner
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  09:37:22 AM  Show Profile Send Bflexner a Private Message
As a weaver as well as a knitter I sort my stash by fibers and then by color as well. I keep them stored on shelves in a bookcase with doors. Tubs are too deep and only lead to jumbles. This way when I open the door I can see exactly what I have. Some people I know use open shelves or bins like the yarn stores.
Go to Top of Page

RavenSky
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  09:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit RavenSky's Homepage Send RavenSky a Private Message
Hi everyone,

I am a new knitter (Nov. 2003) but I have developed quite a stash already! I sort by projects right now. I have plastic bins on an old bookcase that are labeled for socks, scarfs, sweaters and future grandbabies! No, I'm not knitting the babies (although I might get grandchildren faster!)but I am knitting things FOR the future babies I also am a hooker, rug hooker that is , so I have a LOT of rug hooking yarn and wool fabic. I have been putting little cedar sachet squares in the bins with the woolies. I have never had a problem with moths (looking anound for wood to knock on) but I like the way it smells and it gives me piece of mind. I have heard there is a recipe for a moth repellent sachet that involves lavender and sage and maybe other herbals? Does anyone know what that recipe is? I was thinking of making some up for a knitter friend of mine for her birthday. Thanks, guys, love the forum!

Debbie
A new knitter in the NW corner of Connecticut

"Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax & get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  09:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I just reorganized my yarns by color and I really love it! It's given me such creative ideas for how to use these skeins, some of which are in multiples, but some are single skein wonders. Who knows - maybe some of these ideas may actually get knit up.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Billrite@kc.rr.com

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  11:49:00 AM  Show Profile Send Billrite@kc.rr.com a Private Message
I have 25 years worth of yarn in my stash. I have found this helpful.

Use plastic milk cartons. They're cheap; they stack; and you can see almost everything.

I do sort baby yarn separately.
Almost everything else I sort by color--reds & purples, blues, greens, white & gray & black, yellows & oranges.

I have started using past-project yarn to knit items, especially shawls, in many colors of the same family (reds, blues, greens) with white and black thrown in.
Go to Top of Page

nanray
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  11:53:59 AM  Show Profile Send nanray a Private Message
All the talk about bins or bags aside, I just love the imagery of others, like me, hiding in their closets or extra space and sorting through their yarn. Itís inspiring, yet sometimes overwhelming, to remember all that I have Ė all those unmade projects calling out ďRemember me? Remember me? You loved me onceÖ canít we get back together?Ē Itís very reassuring to see that Iím not alone.

To be on topic: I have a walk-in closet thatís all mine (yes, decedent, a real selling point for this house, which is otherwise w/o storage), so I put one of those 6í plus metal restaurant shelves on one wall (from Costco) and keep my fabric, yarn and inks away from kids and out of DHís daily view. I sort yarn into various clear plastic bins by project and whom itís for Ė e.g., kid yarns have their own bin. He knows itís all there, but prefers not to enter the ďinner sanctumĒ to be reminded. When they canít find me on the weekend heís learned to look there to find me sitting amongst my projects on the floor. Recently, we bought two Tibetan storage cases, and since theyíre in pretty delicate condition (not suitable for books, etc), Iíve stored all my cotton and silk projects in them, which really pleases me - beauty inside of beauty. Live projects are in totes scattered around the house and Iíve learned to tuck a low-level project into the van console for those unexpected kid-waiting moments.
Go to Top of Page

mec
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  12:01:13 PM  Show Profile Send mec a Private Message
I sort by color almost exclusively for things that are not in use. I bought yarn shelves when one LYS was closed and it is a treat to see them all. I agree that it sparks more ideas when the fibers are mixed. I also have a sauna that I use as a cedar closet for rug yarns and fleeces. I hang most of my handspun by hanks on a rod in the dining area by the great wheel (I don't use the space to eat; the table has my carder and combs and skeiner etc.). Then the current projects are in baskets in almost every room. The living room area has a floor loom with weaving yarns stacked around and my lace pillow with all the attendant thread and another spinning wheel with its' own current project. Basically, I have gradually come to live in a fiber studio with small concessions for the rest of life's necessities. :) Let that be a warning to those who are not yet overwhelmed. If you still have any control, Run for your life!
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  12:25:49 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I have my yarn in those open,plastic, stacking bins, in my bedroom. They're close to my bed, so I can't really see the bottom bins without an effort, so that's where my . . . ummmm . . . less attractive yarn is. So, basically, I've got it sorted aesthetically.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca

My new blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

wayanvwati3@earthlink.net

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  12:38:03 PM  Show Profile Send wayanvwati3@earthlink.net a Private Message
Right now most of my yarn is sorted by color or by project(s) its for. Once I can take time away from all the crocheting and knitting projects I need to finsh, I plan on sorting all yarn not "tagged" for a specific project by weight. If there is too much of one weight, then that stash will be sorted once again by color. I've also thought of sorting by weight, but having each weight stash sorted by brand name. If I can ever clear out the guest room closet and find places for all of that stuff I placed there since the move into our house last year, I hope to store most if not all of my totes full of yarn in them (at least those that fit).

Betty
Go to Top of Page

vickij
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  1:05:07 PM  Show Profile Send vickij a Private Message
This has been interesting hearing how all you store your yarn. My next major project is organizing my 'sewing room'. It is stacked about 3 feet high with bags and boxes of yarn, in no order. I was thinking of getting a couple of bookshelves for one wall and putting most of it in there, sorted by the kind of yarn, mostly by weight I guess. That way it is sort of visual and I can look at it and admire it ! And I've got about 100 skeins of sock yarn ahead, I was thinking of putting those into those mesh laundry bags where I could see through them. (That's a lot of sock yarn, but I have an antique circular sock knitting machine and will crank out 50 prs of socks or so for Christmas gifts).

Now I just have to talk dh into the bookshelves and get busy on it!

Vicki

Vicki
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by