Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Do you sort by color or by weight?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

2jhy@mail.com

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  3:04:57 PM  Show Profile Send 2jhy@mail.com a Private Message
I sort by care needs, then by color.
I stick to about a dozen patterns with easy shaping, but liven things up with interesting stitches or color. For example, "create" the yarn I want by combining different strands. I often carry 2 or more strands to make a unique item and use bigger needles for faster results. About 50% of the time,I carry only one strand on the needles, but rarely is a project only one yarn in the whole thing (stripes, color blocks, intarsia). It's fun for intarsia especially to use different weights & textures for the "picture" elements.
Also, for gifts I use only machine washable so people don't feel guilty or stupid if the gift comes out of the dryer teddy-bear-sized or a piece of felt. Since gift projects are mostly kitchen accessories and quillows for people's cars, these items tend to need more cleaning than a scarf or sweater.
The lovely non-SuperWash wools and funky novelty yarns are for me because I don't mind handwashing.
That's why I sort by care, then color.
By the way, I use stand up mesh laundry bags for large skeins and Sterilite tubs (hard clear plastic) for smaller skeins and oddballs. I can see what I've got without rooting around.
PS Love the PDA usage described above. Really inspiring.
Go to Top of Page

Juanita in NZ
Warming Up

New Zealand
59 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  3:48:35 PM  Show Profile Send Juanita in NZ a Private Message
Well, this topic has certainly opened my eyes to other ways of storage! I have a huge basket in my living room with current projects in it (or even 'soon to be current'), then I have cardboard boxes on shelves in our family room that I have filled with yarn according to colour, and I have even labelled the boxes. I have always meant to get nice plastic boxes, but when I suddenly felt the urge to sort through my stash, the cardboard ones were handly, and have stayed there ever since. Oh, I also have some oddments in the hall cupboard, mainly cones and lots of wool ready for felting, all of which my family keep complaining about, as it has a tendency to fall out of the cupboard every time the door is opened!
Juanita
Go to Top of Page

JulieC
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  4:18:27 PM  Show Profile Send JulieC a Private Message
For RavenSky, and anyone else looking for a good moth-repellent mix, this is the recipe from Atlantic Spice Co. http://www.atlanticspice.com/Recipessachet.asp. They also have all the ingredients for it, and more detailed instructions on how to make it.

CEDAR CHEST (MOTH-AWAY) SACHET
5 cups Cedarwood Chips..................... 3 oz
4 cups Lavender No.2 (Blue-Grey) ...... 3-1/4 oz
2 cups Tilia Flowers................... 2-3/4 oz
1 cup Cellulose Fiber Fixative............. 4 oz
1 cup Cinnamon Sticks (1-inch)......... 2-3/4 oz
1 cup Cloves - Whole................... 3-1/4 oz
OIL: Cinnamon

As far as stash sorting goes, I finally decided to track down all my yarn (I think I found all of it, anyway!) and inventory it. All that info is now in my Palm, as well as on my computer. I sorted by project, putting each into a box or ziplock, then the ziplocks went into big boxes, and everything went to the storage building we have. Wait a minute, if everything is in storage, what's all this stuff behind the couch and in the corner to the right of the couch? Help!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

JulieC
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  4:21:21 PM  Show Profile Send JulieC a Private Message
Oh, and don't go crazy printing off all the potpourri recipes from Atlantic Spice Co. If you order from them, they send you a brochure-type catalog that has all the recipes.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

booklover.dee@verizon.net

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  4:42:37 PM  Show Profile Send booklover.dee@verizon.net a Private Message

I took an inventory of all my stash this past year and was appalled at all the yarn I have. Plus I spin so have fiber to store, too. That said, I have several methods for storing my yarn.

I have about 4 of the wide plastic cabinets on wheels with the see-through drawers. In two of the cabinets I sort by color families. That's because I love to strand several different weight yarns together for projects that create their own unique "yarn" fabric. It's just easier when I can go to the turquoise drawer or the purple drawer, etc.

In the other two cabinets, I've sorted them by brand and/or designer. i.e. I have my Lorna's Laces drawers, my Opal drawers, and my Wool in the Woods drawers.

Then I have a long metal rail around the walls of the storage closet and use movable hooks on these rails to store individual patterns with the yarn for them in the plastic bags that curtains come in (with the zippers). I can see at a glance what projects are waiting to be done. I also have the special hangers for storing belts. Those are on the clothes rail with hanks of yarn hanging from the hooks. These are usually my spun yarns or yarns that are so gorgeous that I can't stand to have them in a drawer.

Finally, I have see-through plastic shoe boxes up on the closet shelves with fiber in them waiting to be spun.

Now....moving outside the closet, I have project bags scattered in most rooms by comfy chairs with current projects on the needles.

That's my stash and let's hope my DH never finds my inventory list.
Go to Top of Page

cmarckese@comcast.net

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  6:18:48 PM  Show Profile Send cmarckese@comcast.net a Private Message
I sort my yarn by color, and I use canvas hanging shoebags that I purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond. They hold a lot of yarn and it allows me to see what I have at a quick glance. When my stepdaughter moved out her bedroom became my craft room. Along with the bedroom came a very large walkin closet, which is great because I believe I'm now on my fifth shoebag.
Go to Top of Page

jacqueline.willis@novadog.fsworld.co.uk

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  03:44:49 AM  Show Profile Send jacqueline.willis@novadog.fsworld.co.uk a Private Message
I have one very large plastic picnic cooler bag hidden between the couch and the wall in my Kitchen where not all the yarn fits but won't be anywhere else in the house...does that count?
Go to Top of Page

lfinkel
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  09:33:36 AM  Show Profile Send lfinkel a Private Message
I am glad to hear that I am not the only person who doesn't sort...I just broke down and bought three (3!?) big plastic bins and put it all in there. Now I am thinking I should sort it...but how? Maybe on a rainy afternoon when nothing else feels like more fun. --liza
Go to Top of Page

eclaire26

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  1:29:23 PM  Show Profile Send eclaire26 a Private Message
In my previous house, I had it all shoved into my linen closet--the bottom two shelves were for my yarn. It was sorted by project, because that's how I bought it. When we moved to a much bigger house, I gained my very own craft room for my knitting, sewing, etc. supplies! I decided to sort my yarn like it was sorted in the yarn shop where I had worked before we moved: by fiber, then by weight. I have it in plastic crates, and Xerox paper boxes. They both fit perfectly on the shelves on the wall, and can't get too heavy to get on and off the shelves because of their size. For some of the fibers, like mohair, I just have it all in one box because I don't have enough of it to sort by weight (yet). Yhis has made it much easier for me to find what I am looking for, and to come up with interesting fiber combinations, because nothing is lost in the back of the closet anymore!
Go to Top of Page

bealynn1949@yahoo.com

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  3:20:30 PM  Show Profile Send bealynn1949@yahoo.com a Private Message
My first thought was "sort, surely you jest!" but then I thought a bit more about it and I do have projects in bags or boxes or containers of some kind. The "leftovers" live in a huge bag in the closet. My family likes the three-flavored popcorn that comes in tins at Christmas, that works pretty good for storing yarn. Hubby may occasionally remark on the yarn, but his shop is much bigger and much fuller, so he has no room to talk. He may wonder, but he doesn't say anything. Someday it may all get organized, but I doubt it.

Happy knitting. Bealynn
Go to Top of Page

bunkenbeans@comcast.net

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  09:23:47 AM  Show Profile Send bunkenbeans@comcast.net a Private Message
For the moment, my stash is but modest, consisting of odds and ends given by a friend whose organization received more donated yarn than it knew what to do with. It's mostly wool, but I can only guess at some of the other fibers, so I've sorted it by color only. The odd bits are in Ziploc bags with their color compatriots, and the hanks just hang out willy-nilly in the same basket in the den closet. Another basket and a LYS shopping bag hold yarn for a WIP (bag) and earlier projects (basket). If not truly organized, it's at least non-anarchic.

One thing that helps me keep things non-anarchic is blank white gift tags, the kind the craft stores sell for rubber-stamping, etc. I use them for washing instructions on gift projects, bases for skein labels on leftovers, and recording the needle size on gauge swatches.
Go to Top of Page

Sparki
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  4:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Sparki a Yahoo! Message Send Sparki a Private Message
I don't know beans about posting anything, only use the computer at work for awful charts and such, but all of your comments about how your sort yarns is so interesting, and there about as many ways as people. (Wow!)

My stash is pretty good sized, it seems. I tried lots of different ways and couldn't keep anything straight. However, we bought a number of filing boxes (those that are 6 or so in a package) and my yarn is either in those or in pattern boxes from the fabric store (smaller or finer yarn). For years I was always hoping to use up the junk yarn first and then get to the gorgeous stuff. Then one day I got smart and decided to give away the stuff I couldn't stand and work with one project that takes terrific yarn and then a couple of others that are more "regular" for type.

One day hubby helped haul everything out (he didn't holler or anything) and helped count and sort. We made a computer inventory of everything with a column for name, company, date purchased, fiber (wool, blend or whatever), weight, color, dye lot, and number of skeins. Some also have notes about the project they are for. It was a terrible experience to go through the listing and typing, but now it is easy to update and sort of a journal of all the places we've lived or travelled to.

You all have neat ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Serena
Go to Top of Page

fireflyfarm@epix.net

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  08:08:05 AM  Show Profile Send fireflyfarm@epix.net a Private Message
Had a lid on the stash issue til I took the job at the yarn shop. Now there's my old stash, my new stash of yarns I bought at employee's discount when I was only working a couple days a month, and now there's the shop projects I bring home to work on that are not mine but if I'm not careful they could get mixed in. Yikes. Since I've started working all the time, I don't work at all on my own projects so they have been relegated to the big clearish rubbermaids sorted by their planned use--with the planned pattern, buttons, maybe even needles, all in there. Some fo the older yarns have been culled for delivery to a friend who knits bulky socks and funny hats for the soldiers and sailors and also sends yarn to a woman in Maine who distributes it to knitters for same.
Yarn has a lifespan like anything else. No point keeping something around more than two years, IMHO, because if it hasn't made me crazy to use it by then it probably won't in the next two years either. If someone else can use it, I allow for the expensive mistake I made and give it away. But of course that's only after some time has elapsed--sitting here reading and typing about organizing while around me there are "several" work-related UFOs and heaps of roving I need to get into the dyepot if it ever stops raining enough for the wool to dry afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

goneisland2
Warming Up

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  11:21:59 AM  Show Profile Send goneisland2 a Private Message
I lived on a 38 ft sailboat for the past few months and, of course, amassed lots of yarn. I had to stash it here and there in plastic bags. This past week I moved off the sailboat for a while. Now all the yarn that was tucked here and there on the boat is now in several very LARGE boxes! Ops, do I ever have a stash of yarn!!!!!!! I guess living on the boat it sort of sneaked up on me..........And it will be a while before I can knit anything -- last week I fell from the cockpit of the boat seven feet down into the cabin, hitting everything on the way down except the cat....I now have broken right wrist, broken right BIG toe, sprained and bruised left knee and a concussion along with assorted lacerations and massive bruises!

(sigh)

Oh well, I don't have a DH to *talk* to me about the amount of yarn I accumulated -- the cat just stares and wishes he could get into it though.

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA
Go to Top of Page

Knitcrazy
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  2:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitcrazy's Homepage Send Knitcrazy a Private Message
SORT???

Oh Boy...I wish I could sort this stuff!!
Its in th attic, falling out ofthe closets, under the bed, in my clothes drawers. Its all over the place...HELP..I need a solution for ths mess besides Knitting Faster
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  8:58:38 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by goneisland2

-- last week I fell from the cockpit of the boat seven feet down into the cabin, hitting everything on the way down except the cat....I now have broken right wrist, broken right BIG toe, sprained and bruised left knee and a concussion along with assorted lacerations and massive bruises!

Admiral Annie
Aboard S/V Island Thyme
Island Trader 38
Dog River AL USA

Good heavens, Annie. Ouch!!!! What an experience. How did yuo get yourself to help? That's the only thing that ever bothered me about living alone . . . what happens if you need help, and can't get to it?

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
http://photos.yahoo.com/sermomca
My blog:
http://sermomknits.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  9:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I reorganised my yarn recently. I sort by fibre content. I have a box of cotton yarn, one for wool blends, one for miscellaneous novelty type yarns and many boxes for good old pure wool.

celia

View my completed items here
http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v197/celiang/
Go to Top of Page

mrogers3@frontiernet.net

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  06:38:43 AM  Show Profile Send mrogers3@frontiernet.net a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GFTC

I sort by brand. I'm thinking of creating kits - each bag would have a sock pattern, 2 skeins of sock yarn, and the appropriate needles.

What worries me is that I think I have a secret LYS in my closet. The problem is that only I know it's there and I am the buyer, retailer, and customer all rolled into one. I guess it's the only store in America where both the owner and the customer are always happy with the service, the selection, the hours, and the location.

I also enter the info on all yarn that I buy into KnitAble. This program on my PDA has been very helpful when I am shopping, either in stores or on the internet. It's so much easier to look up what I have, color&dye lot, amount, brand, than to go and look through everything and continually count skeins. I am diligent about entering new purchases and deducting what I have used.

Go to Top of Page

thecountrygirl@mchsi.com

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  07:34:17 AM  Show Profile Send thecountrygirl@mchsi.com a Private Message
Mine is stored haphazardly in an old filecabinet!

I've just now collected enough yarns to really call mine a stash. And I looked through it just yesterday and felt quite guilty! LOL! Mine is stored in a 100yr old wooden filecabinet in the drawers. So, just out of curiosity for those of you who will admit to it. How many skeins of yarn would you say is in your stash? Mine? hmmm... lets see.... I'd say all total I have about 60 skeins/balls of various yarns! Gosh I really DO feel guilty now. And as one other reader said (I think it was Gaile) I keep them out of sight. Because if I don't I'm quite sure my hubby would say "YOU DON"T NEED ANY MORE YARN TILL YOU USE THESE UP!" Lol!
Go to Top of Page

cbjordan38@aol.com

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  5:28:17 PM  Show Profile Send cbjordan38@aol.com a Private Message
red][/red]
I have mine stashed under the bed, in two closets and into two bags, one with my current knitting projects and the other for my current crochet projects. I certainly hope that I don't go before my hubby does, I never want him to know how bad my addiction to yarn is!

Celia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.